Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
jmlocklin

campground Membership

I have a question and I am not sure where to get an answer, so I am trying here. Are campground memberships worth the money? and what would I expect to pay for a membership to an RV campground?
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlocklin View Post
I have a question and I am not sure where to get an answer, so I am trying here. Are campground memberships worth the money? and what would I expect to pay for a membership to an RV campground?
Look for a resell of one if you really feel you want one. Make sure your home park is away from your area, or you will face restrictions on use in your area. Chris
Old 11-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

The best advice I can give is try before you buy
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
My answer to you is "maybe" and "depends". No one can tell you what's "worth it" to you. A lot of variables to consider, how often will you use it, where are the campgrounds located and what are your expectations of the campgrounds condition's and amenities. That's the "maybe".

For the "depends", each 'club" or "membership" will typically have varying costs for varying plans. My advice to you is start searching (Google) the memberships and compare costs, member satisfaction, locations, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
tech740

Quote:
We have one. We like it because we pay $500 a year for dues and we usually camp about 6-8 weeks a year. If you look at per night rates we save money. Downside is we stay in the same 8 campgrounds except when we do our once year trip outside the membership campgrounds. The other thing is the buy in price. The group we are in charges about 10K initial buy in. We bought used for $900. If the one you are looking at is expanding it may be worth looking into. Ours is in 2 states now and keeps growing.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Campground memberships.....

I don't own one nor will I. I was interested in them but did my research and one just didn't work for us. Look at the up front cost, yearly costs and more importantly, all the little limitations they impose on you. The best I could figure is you buy in but what you bought initially is about what you get unless you're lucky. Sort of like some of the timeshare properties.

We opted to just stay where we want to go at a place we want to stay in. We can go anywhere, anytime, pick the resort we want to stay in and, with negotiation, pay some pretty good prices. Being locked into set locations can get old to us. Be sure and read ALL the fine print and limitations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
travelin texans

Basically if you think any time share is a good deal then RV memberships are a good deal as that's more or less what they are.
Personally time shares make a lot of money for those selling them same as RV park memberships.
They didn't work for us due to the buy in of several thousand $$$ would get us a lot of nights in privately owned parks which don't limit how long or how often you can stay, have more amenities & more activities.
As someone said try to it out first then buy from someone on line that wants out for a lot less money.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Basically if you think any time share is a good deal then RV memberships are a good deal as that's more or less what they are.
Personally time shares make a lot of money for those selling them same as RV park memberships.
They didn't work for us due to the buy in of several thousand $$$ would get us a lot of nights in privately owned parks which don't limit how long or how often you can stay, have more amenities & more activities.
As someone said try to it out first then buy from someone on line that wants out for a lot less money.
This is exactly how we did it and actually still like it. For what I paid I figure i can donate it and walk away with no issues when I want out. The benefit for us is that we have family close to 4 of the parks and they off all amenities and activities. This allows us to see people but still "go check the trailer" at night when its time to go.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground