Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #1
steamboatscott

Anyone else about to call it quits?

I’ve been camping regularly since I was 12 in Boy Scouts (eventually became an Eagle). About 10 years ago I got a popup and then a hard sided trailer to make it easier for taking the kids. We camped 30 - 45 nights for several years. But, the past 3-4 years, the dispersed spots that I used to love discovering on BLM/MVUM maps or similar and then eagerly returning to each year have become so busy and full of disrespectful people that I regularly consider selling the RV. They keep making more and more RVs, generators, OHVs, and Bluetooth speakers with apps like Campendium to point the way and then dealers still don’t give any instruction on how to respectfully use this equipment. God ain’t making any more land while the USFS/BLM/etc isn’t making any more dispersed camping roads or pull offs…at least not nearly enough to keep up with the increase demand. Anyone else feel the same despair?
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #2
travelin texans

If dispersed camping, boondocking is the ONLY type of camping you & your family enjoy then it sounds like you're SOL.
There are improved campgrounds & rv parks in this big beautiful country that also can be enjoyed with lots to see & explore nearby, although at some you'll still encounter that same type of rude disrespectful weekend warrior campers, it's the ME ME ME attitude of folks these days unfortunately!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
bsmith0404

We started our current trip on the 29 of June, have stayed at 3 different rv parks so far and haven’t had a problem in any of them. We are currently in a park near Mt Rushmore and it’s nice and quiet. An occasional side by side going through, but that’s no big deal. We probably make more noise than anyone when we leave and return on the Harley. I’m no where near ready to call it quits, we still get out on national forest and BLM land, we just don’t go on holidays when everyone is fighting for the same space.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #4
gearhead

I frequently think about a "reset": selling the RAM and the 5th and getting a small to medium Class C and maybe towing a CJ Jeep. We did that in the 1980's and it worked well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:08 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Dispair? That's a strong word. We only camp in campgrounds so can't speak specifically to your question. However; I will make a couple of general observations. Rude and disrespectful behavior should never be acceptable. With that said you have to define those terms.

Is it disrespectful that someone listens to music at all, or is it so loud you have to raise your voice to talk? Is it the type music they are playing? What's the issue with running a generator if they are allowed and during the times that it's allowed? While we may not like someone else's taste they are free to enjoy it just as you are. Likely they pay their their taxes and fees just like anyone else.

While you may feel like "your" place has been negatively impacted remember it's not "yours". If you found it then chances are others will to. Maybe it's time to find some new favorite spots. We went through these types of experiences when we were avid boaters. We spent a lot of weekends anchored up at an island (State Park) in the Chesapeake Bay. Then the dot com money facilitated a huge new crop of "Miami Vice wannabe " that suddenly had the money to buy a boat ( typically very large and/or rast/load) and our "favorite spot" became very busy. It was common to have to explain to some newbie how to set an anchor and make sure they didn't swing into my boat, again.

It used to puzzle me why wen I was anchored away from the others someone would come along and anchor right next to me. I think it's human nature for folks to want to see what the attraction is. Maybe subconsciously they think. "If they are here it must be a good spot.". What I tried to fall back on was remembering that I was young and inexperienced once and my first boat was a 22' jet boat with an Olds 455 big block. I'm sure I passed off my share of folks listening to Led Zepplin or The Who or Black Sabbath while anchored out.

We didn't stop boating because of that. I rather enjoyed watching folks making the same mistakes I did wondering "will they look back and remember how much money they wasted to?" I know this is long winded but my point is we all enjoy things differently. And some folks will abuse whatever that is, be it alcohol, music, loud vehichles, etc. In my experiences, even out here the "rude east" if you approach someone in a non confrontational manner and explain to them that say their loud music is disturbing your baby's nap most folks will apologize and make an adjustment.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:24 AM   #6
notanlines

Scott, I feel your pain, but don't share your disillusion. I believe that Danny (TT) may have said it best about a possible attitude adjustment along with an adjustment in your routine. Rude people have always been here, those leaving trash behind and having a complete lack of respect were possibly worse in the 60's than right now.
I also was a Boy Scout/Explorer, and then Scoutmaster for 6 years back in the 80's. The first thing I learned as a Scoutmaster was that the most important thing on a camping trip was to have fun. If they didn't have fun then they weren't going to go and would learn nothing. How are you going to get those kids you spoke of to learn about life's trials and tribulations if you don't actually go?
I suppose you can sell the RV and let the kids join a travelling youth soccer team. Cost is about the same, but who learns what? Life skills on the soccer field might be a little scarce. Not to mention having a campfire and making s'mores on the field after the game is frowned upon.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

The dispersed camping that you mention IS getting more and more crowded. If there is a spot big enough, in a place nice enough there's going to be someone coming for it these days. I still have places I go that there won't be anyone virtually any time except maybe a passerby (1) on a weekend BUT it's not a place to drop a 30-40'RV. There are a few of those left but I won't subject my trailer to the drive it takes to get to them.

With the increase in people, and seemingly those with money and means, the increase in the self-absorbed attitudes and overall loss of "quiet" one is left with some options. For me, I'm certainly not about to call it quits but I have had to make mental adjustments...and I don't like to be forced to make adjustments. I've had to learn to be more accepting and try to be more understanding. Many go out to let their hair down and let it all hang out. They get on my nerves. Some just don't know any better and no one took the time to talk to them. All of them, including me, are out to enjoy something; free time, drinking, music, letting loose....who knows. For me, I enjoy QUIET, therefore I lose in those situations. What to do?

Compromise and adjust. Find another place(s). I've stayed in all kinds of places I said I'd never go back to and don't. I've stayed in some places that I thought I was making a mistake and go back all the time now. I no longer try to find that secluded idyllic mountain spot where I can be alone for a weekend (or weekday anymore) because people will be there. Any availability is so remote that I would come out with 1/2 the RV gone. It's not going to get any better.

This camping thing reminds me of fishing. When I was young there was a river we went to; played on the dams with the water running over them, caught fish out the wazoo and had fish fries all the time. As time went on "our spot" generally had someone in it, the banks were lined with people when there used to be none, the fishing slowed to nothing and the fish fries stopped. I now go to different places to fish and eat different kinds of fish than before - compromise and adjust. The benefits and fun of camping far outweigh the inconveniences that I encounter from time to time so I'm not nearly where I am considering "calling it quits" - maybe change fishing holes but not calling it quits.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
dutchmensport

We each have our own camping styles. Like I've always said, there is no right or wrong way to do it. But you are correct in the blatant disrespect which almost seems to be an epidemic now. We don't do dispersed or BLM camping. We are State Park or State Recreation Area campers. I've noticed more and more that the holiday and week-end crowd are the ones that seem to be the most obnoxious. NOT because they are more camping on the week-ends or holidays, it's the amount of disrespect and disregard for common courtesy and common camping etiquete.

BUT, we are a long, long, long way from hanging up the camper keys forever. Ours is 100% paid for. No reason at all to sell it, or give it up. If all else fails, we can still driveway camp at home, or our back yard, still have bon fires, pee in my back yard if I want, and still experience more privacy, quiet, solitude, peace, and pleasure without having to put up with all the craziness happening in public venues now. Living in the middle of cornfield country has it's advantages. Sometimes we really do wonder why we leave the solitude of our own back yard to endure the selfishness, the rudeness, and the insanity happening at campgrounds.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The last time DW's family came north (from the Detroit area) there were about 7 or 8 trailers (plus ours) and we all "took over" the state forest campground on Big Bear Lake, about half a mile from our house. It's primitave camping with "14 marked spaces that have a fire ring and most have a picnic table". Otherwise, it's a quiet place on the lake except for the weekends. We were there for the week, so come Friday about noon, the four spaces that were open began to fill. By 7 or 8 PM, the campground was full. First came the screaming moms, yelling at their 3 year olds, followed by the screaming kids because mom was yelling, followed by the mini-bikes (which are not allowed in the campground), then the drunks around the campfire, tossing firecrackers into the pit, loud radios, moms still screaming, kids still crying, drunks getting louder and about 40 us us, all around a single campfire, chatting casually, trying to ignore the "near riots" a few spaces away.

Through it all, I began to wonder why I'd leave the quiet rear deck at the house, overlooking the lake, relaxing in an environment I control through ownership. Granted, "camping is relaxing" but so is sitting on my deck, always full hookups, and a full freezer, oversize recliner, large screen TV, central air, no bugs and NO NOISE !!!!!

Yes, we plan to keep the trailer, will continue to travel, and use the trailer as "our personal apartment rather than renting a hotel room" more than as a respite from the noise and craziness of the city.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #10
jasin1

Unfortunately there will always be inconsiderate people no matter where you go…

i took my daughter and her husband to an island a few miles away to camp a couple years ago
…they have several primitive campsites only accessible by boat and they picked one and settled in for the night…my wife and i anchored offshore for the night…two of the sites were just a drunken loud party with howling and loud music….it finally died down until after 2 in the morning a boatload of drunken guys and gals buzzed the beach in their boat shining a spotlight on everyone’s tents and screaming drunken obscenities..

picked my daughter up in the dinghy first thing in the morning and we left…she was disappointed that people can go out of their way to be that rude.

when i camp and people are too loud after hours i turn my portable air cleaner up and scream “ SERENITY NOW!”…..and try and get to sleep…if it looks like the party will go on for a second night i would talk to the campground owner…

i left a place in lancaster PA that was more like the infield at the preakness till all hours of the night..told the owners and they sent me a refund although i wasn’t asking for one

i don’t begrudge anyone having fun and the definition of fun is different for many people but 11 pm is my cut off for patience.

Some of the people that we deem as unruly and loud may very well be on their best behavior compared to what they live like in their natural habitat
Old 07-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #11
Canonman

We've discovered several favorite spots and times to get away from the crowds and noise.
It's becoming more of a challenge, as our preferred pastime has become more popular, to find those places where crowds and other annoyances are at a minimum.
But for us we'll keep trying and hopefully be adding more places to our list
Not that many years left where we'll be able to get out and enjoy our natural surroundings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8120.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	40628  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:32 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We've discovered several favorite spots and times to get away from the crowds and noise.
It's becoming more of a challenge, as our preferred pastime has become more popular, to find those places where crowds and other annoyances are at a minimum.
But for us we'll keep trying and hopefully be adding more places to our list
Not that many years left where we'll be able to get out and enjoy our natural surroundings.

^^^^This! For two reasons; at my and DW's age there will be a limitation by age not far away. Things that are more difficult now than they used to be will be impossible. At that point, Lord willing, I'll have all the time in the world to sit under the pecan trees and listen to the birds. Right now I want to see and enjoy those things I haven't in these many years and two; those people that are out there right now will only continue to multiply. What seems an irritant now won't be able to compare to 10 years down the road so I figure I'll endure it now as best I can until I "let the old man in".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #13
German Shepherd Guy

Last year went to camp with some friends on the BLM. Well after sundown some rude folks drove into our camp, without turning off their headlights, and wanted to know if "susan" was there. One of us replied "no she went to town to get beer." The folks drove off. Much later that night they did a drive by cursing, "F*** Y**!!" they yelled as they drove on down the road. We laughed and laughed. Never had a drive by cussing before.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #14
wegone

Bummer.....

Recently saw lots of boondockers in Montana.

Not my gig.

Every bushel has rotten apples, I'm not about to stop eating my wife's homemade apple pie
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Only camp in campgrounds and have never ran into rude or noisy folks around me. Only thing ever bothered me was some idiot wanted his camper visible by the space shuttle from outer space and it was lit up like the Griswalds in Christmas Vacation. I swear I got a sun tan at night and the light would come through our blinds bright enough to be annoying.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #16
Javi

I'm patiently waiting on all of the rest of y'all to stop camping from all this frustration. Then I will have the run of the parks ��
Old 07-09-2022, 03:53 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm patiently waiting on all of the rest of y'all to stop camping from all this frustration. Then I will have the run of the parks ��
Weren't you just complaining about 107F? It is 106F right now on my front porch in the shade. I sometimes fail to desire heading out to the campground in those temps; even in shade, just setting up will lay me up for most of a day in the heat.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:16 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
No you won’t, you will dealing with all the loud mouth, blaring music drunks!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #19
bsmith0404

It’s all good, the people that party all night long get to deal with me making breakfast and “accidentally” beating pits and pans at 630 in the morning. Lol

For every action, there’s and equal and opposite reaction.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:54 AM   #20
dutchmensport

Hi, me again.

We are currently camped at Brookville State Recreation area (Indiana). This is a great park, which actually consists of 3 locations. Whitewater State Park, Quakertown Recreation area, and Brookville (Mounds) Recreation area, all located on Brookville Lake between Liberty, Indiana and Brookville, Indiana.

The photos below show only 1 small example of what Brookville looked like on the morning of July 5, 2022. This shelter house is located in pristine, nicely wooded, and natural setting as possible ... and then this:

And if you say, ... Oh, that was just a bunch of picnickers who were there for the only the day .... well ....

A few years ago I was shocked at the Whitewater State Park location ... This is what azz-hole RVers were doing at the dump station. l.... So yea! ...l YOU do not want to handle your own rubber gloves and discard them properly so YOU simply throw them on the ground so someone else has to handle YOUR SH**!! (literally).

And oh .... don't get me started on cigarette butts thrown on the ground at campsites, left in fire pits, and how about those damn water balloons that yuppie parents think are so cool for their kids to throw around and then NEVER pick up when their precious little monsters are having so much fun ...

In 2019 we were at General Butler State Park (Kentucky). They day we were preparing to leave, the people at a campsite a couple sites down from us left this mess. I flagged down DNR and they went nuts! That is NOT sidewalk chalk and it will not simply wash away with the first rain!

And oh ... don't get me started on the many, many, many times the precious little monsters do leave side walk chalk graphite all over the roads, the campsite pads, and on sidewalks. YOU or THEY may think it's really cute to let the little monsters do it, but it's totally a horrible and unsightly mess for the people following after you leave!

Think about it ... if YOU are one of those who think this type of behavior is acceptable ... what do you expect when YOU arrive at a new campsite? How would YOU react if you arrived and found side walk chalk all over everything, cigarrette butts all over the ground, trash and cigarette butts left in the fire pit where you were planning on cooking over for tonights supper and Smores? What would you think if you found broken bottles, glass, and defaced tree where people scalped them for fire wood? What would you think? You'd be so mad, you'd raise Hell at campground management! So..... why do you LEAVE it that way!

Yes, ... I'm addressing you. What you do is nothing but vandalism! This topic just popped a blood vessel in my head!