Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #1
adeakins

Seeking Wisdom: Route 60 from Cubero to Superior, AZ

Coming from the east, RV Life has me and my big rig (41’) leaving I-40 at Cubero, AZ and taking US 60 down to Superior, AZ. Route looks scary on the map with several hairpins and “S” curves. I have no idea as to grades along the way. And, there’s also the non-trivial matter of a 12’ clearance just outside Globe and a 13.5’ clearance coming into Superior. My rig stands 13.8. My alternative is to continue on I-40 to Flagstaff then follow I-17 South from there to Phoenix and catch my ultimate destination — Boyce Thompson Arboretum — from the west. If anyone is familiar with this route, I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
firestation12

Take I40 to Holbrook, AZ, 77 south to Show Low, 60 south to Globe, continue on 60 past Superior a short distance to you destination of Bryce Thompson Arboretum. The only small challenge is the 5 miles to the bottom of Salt River Canyon and 5 miles climb out of Salt River Canyon. If you have a late model diesel truck, you’ll have no problem using the exhaust braking action to slow you on the curves of the canyon. There is a rest stop at the bottom of the canyon. I’ve made the trip many times with my 42’ 5th wheel. The scenery is worth the trip. As for the Cubero, AZ, I’ve lived in Arizona for 70+ years and never heard of it.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
LHaven

That's weird... US60 doesn't even intersect I-40, and I don't know of a Cubero, either.

Almost all the N-S routes in eastern AZ are mountainous. The Beeline Highway isn't, but it doesn't help you on either end.

I'd do I-17 as well. It will be enough of a fun roller coaster for you all by itself.

Your destination alone, the Superior/Globe/Miami area, is enough of a challenge. One of my top three sphincter-clenching moments RVing was taking the truck escape ramp on US 60 there when our brakes left the building.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:31 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Maybe Cubero, NM?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:05 PM   #5
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Take I40 to Holbrook, AZ, 77 south to Show Low, 60 south to Globe, continue on 60 past Superior a short distance to you destination of Bryce Thompson Arboretum. The only small challenge is the 5 miles to the bottom of Salt River Canyon and 5 miles climb out of Salt River Canyon. If you have a late model diesel truck, you’ll have no problem using the exhaust braking action to slow you on the curves of the canyon. There is a rest stop at the bottom of the canyon. I’ve made the trip many times with my 42’ 5th wheel. The scenery is worth the trip. As for the Cubero, AZ, I’ve lived in Arizona for 70+ years and never heard of it.
Thanks. I will look at that. There are too many obstacles coming from the east on 60. I’d thought about just going into Flagstaff and down 17 to Phoenix. Despite the grade from Flagstaff, which I’ve done in the past, it’s not a bad route. But, it adds a lot of miles. My other option is to forget I-40 out of Memphis and catch I-20 to I-10 west. Then I think I can pick up a decent Hwy off I-10 (maybe 191) to connect to 60 and come at Superior from the west. I have an F-350 DRW with a 7.3 gas.
Old 08-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Maybe Cubero, NM?
That's my guess, but there aren't any good highways off I-40 in that vicinity that'll get you anywhere faster than just staying on I-40.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:11 PM   #7
adeakins

Yep, probably NM. Hard to tell sometimes on the RV Life Pro Trip Planner maps. I’m coming from North Carolina through Memphis, TN. I’m thinking I will leave I-40 and drop south to pick up I-20 connecting into I-10. Then I can pick-up 79 or 191 to 60 and come into the Arboretum from the west. Any of the eastern approaches look like “no fly” zones for my rig.

Hey, thanks all for the quick response and invaluable help. Anything else you think I should know, I’d appreciate it. After we are done at the arboretum, we are headed to Cape Perpetua, Oregon. Looks like I-10 over to the I-105 pretty much all the way. Lots of desert.
Old 08-08-2023, 06:02 AM   #8
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeakins View Post
Thanks. I will look at that. There are too many obstacles coming from the east on 60. I’d thought about just going into Flagstaff and down 17 to Phoenix. Despite the grade from Flagstaff, which I’ve done in the past, it’s not a bad route. But, it adds a lot of miles. My other option is to forget I-40 out of Memphis and catch I-20 to I-10 west. Then I think I can pick up a decent Hwy off I-10 (maybe 191) to connect to 60 and come at Superior from the west. I have an F-350 DRW with a 7.3 gas.
Arizona has adopted a highway IQ of 2. Any route out of the Phoenix metropolitan area headed north, south, east or west have 2 lanes. The route you have so many concerns about, is one of only 2 ways to get to Arizona’s most beautiful forests in the “White Mountain” area of eastern part of the state. Every time highway 87 to Payson gets shut down due to wildfires, The route I suggested taking hwy 77 south from I40 to Holbrook, Snowflake, Show Low, Then 60 to Globe, becomes the only practical route to reach the White Mountain forests from the east valley. Along the way, the open pit mines and cooler temps and majestic canyon views are worth the trip. Taking the I17 south from Flagstaff also has stretches of steep winding lanes if that is a concern. A single accident can close the road causing extensive delays. Plus, you’ll save a hundred miles and miss Phoenix’s awful freeway traffic. Relax, don’t sweat it and enjoy some of the best Arizona has to offer it’s visitors.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #9
adeakins

I’ve done I-17 before. Going up to Flagstaff is a struggle. Going down from Flagstaff is a heart attack. My insurmountable problem with 60 east of the arboretum is a tunnel with a published height of 13’5” and further east another overpass measuring 12’x” at center. My rig stands at 14’ with ACs, vents and such.
Old 08-08-2023, 09:51 AM   #10
travelin texans

I've went both directions on 60 with a dually & 5th wheel & never again. Rating a pucker factor of 1-10, with the rig mentioned was about a 12 & all while the DW is leaving fingernail gouges in the armrest & console.
Driven several times in just the car & it's a beautiful scenic drive.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:17 PM   #11
bobbecky

Taking I-10 will be a much easier route. We've done I-17 both ways,and it isn't too bad, but coming from the east, I would rather do the easier run on I-10. You can go all the way on I-10 to Tucson and then take one of the minor routes up to Superior.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:34 PM   #12
hankaye

adeakins, Howdy;

If the mountains make ya nervous, they do to most folks, then here is about the much more flatter route. Still has some hills to climb and come down but without the switchbacks and steep grades.

If you choose to go across I-40 I'd get off at I-25 and go South to exit 41 (Short-cut to I-10), Hatch, NM, at Sparkey's turn Right and stay straight as that will turn into NM-26 and off to Deming you go. At the Stop sign US-180 (just N. of Deming), you'll take a Left and jump up on to I-10 for a short drive to the exit (Exit 24), for Lordsburg/US 70.
Nice drive more like rolling hills. 70 will take ya to Globe where you'll be able to get onto US 60 W headed for Phoenix. You'll find Superior along the way.

If you go through Hatch during the Chile harvest (Labor Dayish), there are all sorts of good things to be had.

This is my preferred route to Phoenix, Az. even when NOT towing.

Best travels;

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote