Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #21
Jim Dow

Generator Location: Combination Fuel Tank/Tool Box

Yes, the generator (wheels and stand bracket removed) fits behind the hitch. Watch out for the height of the generator!
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim, The height of the generator was my concern. My fifth wheel hitch sits about 16" off the truck bed, the pinbox extends from there back toward the tailgate about 15". That leaves roughly 14" of space from where the pinbox starts to slope upward to the tailgate. As I turn corners, the pinbox rotates in the fifth wheel hitch and that swinging would hit anything taller than about 16". I can't put my Champion generator behind the fifth wheel hitch. It would get smashed by the pinbox on the first turn out of the driveway no matter which side or how far back I tried to store it. I was just wondering what "magic" you do to keep the generator from being crushed by the pinbox. It's a pain to lift the generator over the hitch, but that's the only way I can carry it without crushing it with the pinbox.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #23
Jim Dow

Fuel Tank/Tool Box Combo

I installed a combo fuel tank/tool box. Fuel tand capacity is 45 gal. with a quick disconnect hose at the pump (with key on/off switch) Smaller tool box. Both low profile and located up against the cab.

Also added a 250lb - 1000lb lift in the far back passenger-side of the truck bed.

Generator barely fits straddle the legs of the hitch to a Montana High Country. I'm sure the make and model of the hitch is the key, and the generator wheels/leveling brack have been removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckToolboxHoist.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2534  
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
Dwighop

I got a steal on a regular tool box for my truck but I'm worried about clearance in those what if situations. It appears to be weel clear of my overhang but do all 5vrs in short beds need low profile boxes? I do have an auto slide hitch.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
therink

I have below bed rail type box and don't have to worry. Based on my observations, I would not be comfortable with a full box in short bed. Medium height box maybe. All it would take uneven terrain while backing in tight radius situation to find out the hard way. My 2 cents anyway.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Jim Dow

Tank & Toolbox

I opted for a low profile combination aux fuel tank and toolbox up against the cab for our F250. I saved the back of the bed for hauling other things.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	100
ID:	3036  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #27
J&C

I just installed the Unique brand rear "V" shaped tool box at rear. I was getting ready to purchase a v tailgate and found that the tool box wasn't much more. My F350 has the 6.5 bed but I don't plan on needing to haul anything long very often. It just seemed to be a better use of $400 plus dollars for additional storage rather than just a tailgate.
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
Jim Dow

Tank & Toolbox

I installed a 45 gal tank/toolbox (low-profile/lockable) combination unit. The electric fuel pump has a) a keyed switch to prevent theft, b) a quick connect/disconnect hose and c) a drain valve. The tank/tool box sits up against the back of the bed. There is room for some storage in front of the 5er hitch.

Also, I added a small hoist (250-1000 lb) to the rear right corner of the bed.

This gives me about 600+ miles range when towing.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	78
ID:	3464