Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
cthns

Smile New 5ver from Texas

We just got a 2012 Ford F250 diesel crew cab short bed. Then bought a 2012 Montana 3150 RL. With a pull rite sliding hitch. Husband wants to add extra fuel tanks. When we tried to calculate the weight measurements to see if we could add the tanks, we find that our king pin weight is more than the rated payload. The Montana Gross weight (shipping weight + carry weight) is 14,160 lbs. hitch weight 2160 lbs. the truck GVWR is 10,000 lbs. the cargo weight is not suppose to exceed 1,661 lbs. We see lots of F250s towing Montana and similar size 5ers. What are we doing wrong trying to figure out the weights??

Thank you.
cthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
BobnLee

weights for your 5 er.

Take your rig to a truck stop and go over the CAT scale. First put the front axle on the scale and then both axles with the trailer attached. The combined weight here should not exceed 10.000 Then pull the trailer wheels onto the scale to weigh the rest of the unit and your weights. For a Ford 250 2012 deisel She will pull 16,000 lbs The ten thousand pounds is the pulling unit with the pin weight . I have a 30 ft lite weight and I.m 500 kgs under Hope this helps
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
antiqfreq

We went through the same things when we got our F250 and then our fiver.

If we wanted a bigger fiver, a heavier pin weight fiver, then we'd need a F350.

We chose not to add the weight of the fuel to the bed of the truck and instead we opted for a punning a truck box in instead with two Honda generators, as we like to do lots of drycamping and boondocking!

Enjoy your new set up.

(PS- just cause you see it on the road - don't make it safe)

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthns View Post
We just got a 2012 Ford F250 diesel crew cab short bed. Then bought a 2012 Montana 3150 RL. With a pull rite sliding hitch. Husband wants to add extra fuel tanks. When we tried to calculate the weight measurements to see if we could add the tanks, we find that our king pin weight is more than the rated payload. The Montana Gross weight (shipping weight + carry weight) is 14,160 lbs. hitch weight 2160 lbs. the truck GVWR is 10,000 lbs. the cargo weight is not suppose to exceed 1,661 lbs. We see lots of F250s towing Montana and similar size 5ers. What are we doing wrong trying to figure out the weights??

Thank you.
The correct way to measure payload is to pack the truck as you would for a trip including fuel, ice chests, pets, kids etc…. Then go weigh the truck at the nearest CAT scale… deduct the gross weight from the 10K… that sum is your effective payload…

The numbers that make the most difference in this situation are the axle ratings, tire load limits and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) if you can load it so that none of these are exceeded you’re good as gold.. Exceed them and you risk hurting the truck, yourself, someone else and your pocketbook…

For what its worth… I have that same truck with an 8 foot bed and a little more payload rating because mine is an XL and doesn’t have all the accessories… I would not want to pull that trailer… I’m sure it can and will be done by many folks…. But not me because the real number for the pin weight ready for a trip is gonna be quite a bit more than the dry pin weight.. Probably in the 2800 pound area in not a little more

Since you have purchased the trailer... you can run it across the scales and find out for sure.. just be sure and load everything just like you would for a trip..