Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 AM   #21
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
hydraulic pump , called an actuator which in turn is operated by a brake controller
Thank's
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #22
BSHGTO

can`t make this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pddave40 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I talked to Keystone and the dealership which is Best RV of Turlock ,California until I am blue in the face. I really do like my new trailer but I wish they would take responsibility for the damage. I hoping I would get this resolved without involving the media.
So my next step is to start posting negative reviews.
1.In the mean time you`ve will loose the use of your new camper
2.The wife will say "We never should have gotten into this"
3.Raised your stress level very high
4.The news won`t care, not a safety issue anymore, your brakes work just not to your expectations.
5.Will still need to have somebody with no money in it check their work for peace of mind (check my last post "Maybe I`m over reacting" on IRV2 forums board)
6.Travel expenses ,time associated with the back in forth to dealer

I would just go ahead and replace the other 2 drums and shoes myself and be done with it.
E Trailer has Brake drums with bearings 50.00 ea. Shoe and plates 45.00 ea.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #23
Eastham

Why would a new unit be sold as is? He shoud not have to deal with the transportation co .either they didn't sell him the trailer. It is under warranty and the dealer should fix it.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Why would a new unit be sold as is? He shoud not have to deal with the transportation co .either they didn't sell him the trailer. It is under warranty and the dealer should fix it.
Customer shouldn't have to deal with transportation co. The DEALER should, the "warranty" doesn't apply because Keystone didn't install faulty brakes.

Should Best RV make it right? YES!! Will they? Probably not until they are forced by legal means.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #25
Eastham

I HEAR YOU BUT if what you are saying is true the dealer should not sold it with faulty brakes and it should not be the buyers responsibility to get someone to fix it a new trailer leaving the lot and should not be sold with bad brakes.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Eastham,

I think what he is saying (without using the exact words) is that Best RV has a reputation of being known to avoid doing the right thing and for not standing by their customers and doing what's appropriate unless they are forced to by taking them to court.

This is not about the trailer, it's not about the warranty, it's not about the right thing to do, it's about how Best RV treats customers and how they put profits above customer service.

At least that's my "take" on the situation based on what I've read about the RV dealership in question.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree with you. But google "Best RV" and get ready to read. Not enough money in the world for me to work there (10 miles away), but where I do work (50 miles away) we deal with unsatisfied Best RV customers on a regular basis.

Some years back when I was still working for the state a fellow employee bought a brand new unit from them. Went to pick it up 3 days later and someone at Best had put a hole in the side. Best refused to take any responsibility for it and adamantly claimed it "was like that when he bought it". He ended up hauling it to L.A. As I recall for repair. I wouldn't have taken delivery but that's another topic. The OP in this case probably shouldn't have taken delivery, but now that he did I think he's got an uphill battle ahead.

I'm waiting for the OP to post back with any updates.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #28
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
I HEAR YOU BUT if what you are saying is true the dealer should not sold it with faulty brakes and it should not be the buyers responsibility to get someone to fix it a new trailer leaving the lot and should not be sold with bad brakes.
Obviously you have never dealt with Best RV and that is probably a good thing. They WON"T fix anything unless forced. After the sale they forget who you are. Very sad, but true. At this point the OP should spend some $$ on a lawyer or spend the $$ on new disk brakes. The latter would probably be the best.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #29
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker LOU View Post
X 2 on disc brake conversion , did mine in February 5 times better than drums----Lou----
I did the same thing and I love them. I have 5200 lb axles but the disc brake rotors came with the bearing for a 6000 lb axle. I did a lot of research and the only difference in Lippert 5200 lb axles and 6000 lb axles is the outer bearing and the leaf springs. So at the same time I replaced the leaf springs with those for a 6000 lb axle. I don't plan to add more weight to my rig but it is comforting to know I now have an extra 1600 lbs of reserve on my axles.

http://bobbystuff.com/rv/228/electic...ake-conversion

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #30
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
I did the same thing and I love them. I have 5200 lb axles but the disc brake rotors came with the bearing for a 6000 lb axle. I did a lot of research and the only difference in Lippert 5200 lb axles and 6000 lb axles is the outer bearing and the leaf springs. So at the same time I replaced the leaf springs with those for a 6000 lb axle. I don't plan to add more weight to my rig but it is comforting to know I now have an extra 1600 lbs of reserve on my axles.

http://bobbystuff.com/rv/228/electic...ake-conversion

Bobby
I might have to do those mods.

To get back on topic, the RV dealer and transporter should be held accountable. One for selling a defective, unsafe product and one for irresponsibly damaging that product while in their possession.

What would I do? Cut my expenses and grief and install disc brakes rather than put more money in drum brakes. I would also file a complaint with the BBB and state consumer protection agency. Might also be worthwhile joining Facebook just to put the experience on social media.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #31
John&Genny

I read some of the reviews concerning Best RV. Wow, it's amazing those guys are still in business. Far more 1 star review ratings than 5 star. But most reviewers either hated them, or loved them. Seems that the majority of 5 star ratings came over a year ago and so that tells me that management made a major change in the service department to cause it to go downhill so fast. An easy and quick way to kill a business.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #32
eds451

A friend has a 2015 Cougar and found the seals blew on 3 of the 4 axles earlier this year. 3 months out of warranty. He called the axle manufacturer and they shipped replacement seals, backing plates and brakes. We did the install and cleaned the drums. He was happy.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #33
gearhead

I would get the brakes in the condition you want, whatever that is. If California has a Small Claims Court I would be there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes