Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Dr Bobs Patient

Another Water Heater Access Thread

2016 Cougar 333MKS just past the one year warranty. Hot water heater will not work on propane. It doesn't spark nor hold a flame when lit with a lighter. I've got the manual and troubleshooting calls for checking sparker cable connection - no power when trying to spark. I believe its a loose wiring connection. Here's the issue.

I've searched this forum for how to access the back of the WH to get to control module. Access panel in storage area: Pulled light off and can see back of WH through wire hole. The removable panel is several feet away from the exterior and not conducive to getting to the CM. Cannot see the control module. Access panel in cabinet to the left side of the power inverter: Can see back of WH and bypass valve, but not the control module. After holding phone inside of the access hole and taking pictures I found the CM sitting between the WH and back of inverter close to the exterior wall. Other 333's have an access panel above inverter but mine doesn't. Drilled several holes and found solid wood behind paneling with paneling on the beck side.

Questions:
1. Is there anything in that wall above the inverter that can get damaged if I take a sawz all to it?
2. Can the inverter be removed exposing the area I need to get to?

Last resort is pulling WH from the outside. How difficult is this with the gas line?

Now I will bitch. This design in the access to the WH is Bravo Sierra! I would post pictures but have limited bandwidth to do so from RV park.

Any help, as always is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Bolo4u

Another Water Heater Access Thread

My control module is zip tied to the side of the WH, between the wall and heater. I accessed the area last year from the cargo bay. You should have a large 2x3ish panel screwed to the frame, allowing access to the furnace, water pump and WH area. Just be careful with all the wires and ducting. Not fun but easier than cutting holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

That panel that is several feet away is the way to get to the water heater. Yeah crappy design, and yeah I have shimmied across many units to access stuff. I wouldn't cut anything, but that's just my opinion.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 AM   #4
SummitPond

Do I assume the WH works on 110V?

We had an issue where ours wouldn't work on either; it turned out to be the thermal cutoff had been opened - a spider had made a nice web across the burner tube and I had a backflash which singed the inside of the outer cover. My circuit board is right there, and the thermal cutoff protects the board from getting fried in a situation like that. $10 to replace the device, and I was back up and running. Not sure if your model is the same as ours. See this link for photos: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28032 (see post 5)

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
Javi

Inside the front door there is a bank of cabinets... right above the power panel is a cabinet door... open door.... look at the back wall.... 4 screws hold wall... take those 4 screws out... panel will come off... there is water heater...
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Inside the front door there is a bank of cabinets... right above the power panel is a cabinet door... open door.... look at the back wall.... 4 screws hold wall... take those 4 screws out... panel will come off... there is water heater...

Close, in my 2016, the access panel is in the lower left cabinet, and only provides access to the rear portion of the WH, where the cables and connections are. The cabinet you're describing has a solid back and no access panel.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Close, in my 2016, the access panel is in the lower left cabinet, and only provides access to the rear portion of the WH, where the cables and connections are. The cabinet you're describing has a solid back and no access panel.

in my '15 both cabinets have an access panel.. the front cabinet is the one I use.. My EMS is behind the other panel...
Old 07-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
Bolo4u

Quote:
in my '15 both cabinets have an access panel.. the front cabinet is the one I use.. My EMS is behind the other panel...

You got lucky!!

Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
Dr Bobs Patient

Quote:
My control module is zip tied to the side of the WH, between the wall and heater. I accessed the area last year from the cargo bay. You should have a large 2x3ish panel screwed to the frame, allowing access to the furnace, water pump and WH area. Just be careful with all the wires and ducting. Not fun but easier than cutting holes.

I haven't cleared the stuff we have in that storage area yet. I do know the panel you and talking about, and it will be a stretch to reach the CM.

Thanks.
Bruce
Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Dr Bobs Patient

Quote:
Mine is like what Bolo4u describes. There is no access panel there in the 2016s. It is in the cabinet to the left of the power panel.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Dr Bobs Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
Do I assume the WH works on 110V?

We had an issue where ours wouldn't work on either; it turned out to be the thermal cutoff had been opened - a spider had made a nice web across the burner tube and I had a backflash which singed the inside of the outer cover. My circuit board is right there, and the thermal cutoff protects the board from getting fried in a situation like that. $10 to replace the device, and I was back up and running. Not sure if your model is the same as ours. See this link for photos: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28032 (see post 5)
Yes the WH works on 110V electric. Following the troubleshooting in the manual points at a loose sparker wire or the board. Just need to get my hand on the board.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Dr Bobs Patient

Here's the picture that shows the CM behind the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2457.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	13450  
Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bobs Patient View Post
Here's the picture that shows the CM behind the inverter.

And the metal box just above the CM in the Dr.'s picture, houses a the relay. That's where I had the issue when I lost the 110 side of my HWH. I don't know if the relay has anything to do with the gas side, but if it does, that's where it's hiding.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
Dr Bobs Patient

Quote:

We have a winner. Had to disconnect TV cable, light and electrical outlet to remove that panel. Found the Cm, or igniter control and it had two burnt components on it. I'll to post pictures tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bobs Patient View Post
We have a winner. Had to disconnect TV cable, light and electrical outlet to remove that panel. Found the Cm, or igniter control and it had two burnt components on it. I'll to post pictures tomorrow.

I'm curious if you had the same issue I did... On mine, there was another access panel essentially in the middle which allowed me the access I needed. It was screwed on top (overlapping) of the other two panels on either side of the cargo area

Old 08-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #16
Dr Bobs Patient

Quote:
I'm curious if you had the same issue I did... On mine, there was another access panel essentially in the middle which allowed me the access I needed. It was screwed on top (overlapping) of the other two panels on either side of the cargo area

Yes. All there are multiple panels. The center panel was on top of the passenger side panel but I reversed that overlap when I reassembled it. Below are the pictures of the process.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #17
Dr Bobs Patient

Here are the pictures of the repair/replacement of the control / ignition module for the water heater.
First picture is the panel before removal. Second one is after I retrieved the module from the far side of the water heater. Third shows the two components on the circuit board that were burnt. Fourth is the location of the new module - water heater now heats on electric and gas! And the last one shows the idea I came up with during this repair to utilized some of that wasted space inside the cavity. My safe fit nicely in there and gave up some needed space in the storage compartment. Now if any of you on this forum are bad guys and think about stealing my safe, remember this: The only things in that safe are documents (life insurance papers, vehicle titles, etc.), it takes a key and a combination to open, and its bolted down so it won't move around.

Thanks to all who participated in helping find out how to get behind that water heater and shame on Keystone for attaching the module on the inaccessible side of the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2506forum.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	13544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511forum.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	13545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2518forum.jpg
Views:	141