Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 05:23 AM   #1
TheTynman

5th Wheel Leveling

I have a new 5th wheel with a 6 point leveling system. When I recently returned from a camping trip, I backed the unit into my driveway (where it has been before). When I hit the "Auto-Level" button, the trailer leveled itself but in doing so, the tires on one side left the ground. Never having experienced this before, I lowered that side until the tires came in contact with the ground. That of course means that the trailer is no longer level. Not a big deal in my driveway but would be a bigger concern if I was camping.
Has anyone had that happen to them? If so, what did you do about it? I'm assuming all 4 tires should be an the ground when camping, right?

Thanks,
Norm
TheTynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I've been to a few camp sites where there was enough pitch to bring the wheels off the ground when leveling. No issues, the system will support the weight without any problems.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
TheTynman

Thanks Brent. I was hoping that would be the case. :-)
TheTynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
NorskeBob

Yes - prior to purchasing our present fifth wheel I had to put 2X10s under the driver’s side wheels of the fifth wheel to level the trailer side-to-side.

When we purchased the 2017 Avalanche and the auto level was used the driver’s side wheels were off the ground. I lifted the side a little higher and put boards under the wheels and then lowered the driver’s side of the fifth wheel.

So I'll still bring a few boards along but it will still be allot easier to level the fifth wheel.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Javi

It is not necessary for all the tires to be on the ground when parked....

I will give you this advice... if you are storing the trailer and are not running the fridge or putting the slides out fully, then there is no need to level the trailer... If you are extending the slides or running the fridge then use the leveling system and let the tires touch or not and the site dictates....
Old 05-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post
Yes - prior to purchasing our present fifth wheel I had to put 2X10s under the driver’s side wheels of the fifth wheel to level the trailer side-to-side.

When we purchased the 2017 Avalanche and the auto level was used the driver’s side wheels were off the ground. I lifted the side a little higher and put boards under the wheels and then lowered the driver’s side of the fifth wheel.

So I'll still bring a few boards along but it will still be allot easier to level the fifth wheel.
I'm curious why you feel the need to still carry boards to put under your tires? Is it just a comfort thing? There is no reason to do this that any of us has found so far. There was a long thread about 3 years ago about this and we all came to the conclusion, after reading and looking at everything available, that it was ok to have the tires off the ground. There was even a picture either on Lipperts or Keystones site showing a toy hauler like this. Just wondering.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
It is not necessary for all the tires to be on the ground when parked....

I will give you this advice... if you are storing the trailer and are not running the fridge or putting the slides out fully, then there is no need to level the trailer... If you are extending the slides or running the fridge then use the leveling system and let the tires touch or not and the site dictates....

Will give it a try.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
bobbecky

While working on the brakes and bearings, I usually have the entire rear of the rig up using the hydraulics so all the wheels are off the ground, and once had it that way for three days waiting on parts. We fulltime, so were still living in it while this way. The jacks are much stronger than the weight of these rigs needs.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
nellie1289

I think the boards could give you even more stability and less shaking inside. Just my take. The more contact points the better.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I think the boards could give you even more stability and less shaking inside. Just my take. The more contact points the better.

The more SOLID contact points the better. Since tires are mounted on axles that have springs, they are not rigid and therefore don't add stability in my opinion.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
gearhead

Think of it like a motor crane..aka...cherry picker. When you make a lift the hydraulic legs go down until all tires are off the ground. You definitely do not want any movement that is unexpected. All solid points of support with the operator making all the moves, not the load collapsing the tires unexpectedly.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
msubobcats

I had contacted Lippert on this and was told to NOT have tires off the ground. Problem being not every park gives you the perfect space. Now if we are in a spot where that happens Patti sort of freaks out and gets worried... Now I do try to carry extra blocking just to make her feel better.
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
I had contacted Lippert on this and was told to NOT have tires off the ground. Problem being not every park gives you the perfect space. Now if we are in a spot where that happens Patti sort of freaks out and gets worried... Now I do try to carry extra blocking just to make her feel better.
This is most likely Lipperts lawyers talking. Why do they have a picture of a triple axle toyhauler lifted with its wheels off the ground in their promotional lit? Pretty soon they'll have those "Caution!!! Lifting wheels off the ground can lead to serious injury or death!" stickers plastered on the side of the trailer.

Tags
5th wheel, leveling