Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Bar-OneRanch

JT Strongarm maintenance

My Laredo came with the JT Strongarms installed from the factory. I bought the trailer used and always had trouble sliding the curbside jack up into the trailer. I noticed the pivot bolts on the landing gear were bent a little bit and ordered replacement ones, thinking maybe that was part of the problem. When I pulled the slider tubes out to clean them up and install the new bolts I found that someone must have pulled the jacks up with the t-bolts tight. That caused a bunch of the metal to drag and create a lump over 1/8" high on the tube. I filed that, along with all of the other marks from the t-bolts, off and repainted the slider tubes and installed the new bolts. Just wanted to share that if anyone else notices binding on them it would be worth doing a little maintenance on them. I'll be taking the trailer out in a few weeks and I'll see if it helps.
Chris
2003 Flagstaff 25LB,1993 Terry 35V
1982 Serro Scotty 18',1976 Dutchcraft 25'
1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good Head's Up! I'm sure that this will help someone else! Thanks for sharing your find!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
NorskeBob

Installed them on my last fifth wheel - original installation called for lithium grease (White grease) at the pivot points. After that I used WD-40 to keep things lubricated - including the T bolt threads. I made the mistake of withdrawing the rears without loosing the T bolt - does leave a gouge - clean it up with some sandpaper for metal and re-painted.

I have the installation manual in a .pdf file if you need it.

from the manual:
Put a thin layer of white grease, if you have it, on the shaft and the washer that’s on the swing-bolt. If you don’t have white grease, regular bearing grease will work fine. Also,put a little bit of grease on the outside of each of the flanges on the bushings

Put a little grease on another washer and put it on the swing-bolt on the outside of the electric jack clevis. Then put a 3/8 inch extra heavy nut on the swing-bolt. Tighten the nut until you take the side play out of between the clevis and flanged bushings. Note: DO NOT TIGHTEN TOO TIGHT. Tighten just until the side play is gone- and no more!

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
CamperDave

I spray a little dry lube on the pivot points on mine, and always make sure I loosen the "T" bolts before retracting the stabilizer jacks. Grease would certainly work as well, I just like to lessen the possibility of attracting dirt as much as I can. I agree with NorskeBob on not to tighten the bolts too tight.

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Double b

I have to ask, are the JT strongarms worth the costs? Been debating purchasing them and with my limited upgrade budget for this year, I was going to pass, but if they truly eliminate 80-90% of the wiggle in the trailer I would definitely go for them.

Has anyone who has them ever jacked up the trailer and gave it a goo wiggle so test the difference between with them not locked down and then with them locked down? Would truly love a real world review of this system of wiggle prevention.
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
CamperDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double b View Post
I have to ask, are the JT strongarms worth the costs? Been debating purchasing them and with my limited upgrade budget for this year, I was going to pass, but if they truly eliminate 80-90% of the wiggle in the trailer I would definitely go for them.

Has anyone who has them ever jacked up the trailer and gave it a goo wiggle so test the difference between with them not locked down and then with them locked down? Would truly love a real world review of this system of wiggle prevention.

Absolutely! I did lots of test with the JT's, comparing them to X-Chocks, jacks on the frame by the axles, and just the scissor stabilizer jacks by themselves. My conclusion was hands down, the JT Strong Arm. I paid somewhere around $150 or so for mine 2 1/2 years ago on Amazon.
In fact, I took the JT's off my Jayco before trading it in and installed them on my Outback.

Just remember the JT's won't get 100% of the wiggle out but it does do a fantastic job of reducing it to where its barely noticeable to me and the DW. So I would definitely say they are worth the investment.

Be sure to follow the directions to a "T" and plan the installation carefully. Easy to install, just time consuming. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
NorskeBob

We noted less wiggle after the installation. Once installed I stopped using the king pin stabilizer. Was worth the money to me.

If you install them your self get a good set of drill bits - the frame steel is pretty hard. Start with a smaller bit and work up to the size needed for the bolt to go through the frame. The instructions that came with the strong arms are pretty good.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
CamperDave

+1 on the drill bits! and wear safety goggles as the hot metal shavings can get in your eyes.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:

Yes!!!
One needs to watch sales and prices carefully. I picked mine up on sale at CW on line for $185.00.

Currently the best price I see is PPL Motor Homes @ $224.56
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...stabilizer.htm

Makarios RV Parts also has a great price at $222.88

https://www.makariosrv.com/strong-ar...-short-191024/
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
the sodfather

Quote:

Oh ya they are worth it! Have them on my Bullet. I will never have an RV without them from now on. 2 thumbs up!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #11
CamperDave

Another thing I just noticed after installing on my new trailer is make sure to tighten the bolts at the pivot points where they still move freely but without any "wiggle". Otherwise, you will get an annoying sound every time you move inside the trailer.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Richard Noble

I gave up on WD40. WD stands for water dispersal and not lub. It also seems to gather dirt. I've switched to a dry graphite lube. Also, I'm not sure that I could use these stabilizers on the 6 way auto-level (and probable will not need them).
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
B-O-B'03

I installed the steadyfast stabilizers on my trailer, the kit came with everything needed, including a self-guiding drill bit.

Installation was simple, but drilling the holes in the frame was a little time consuming.

They make a remarkable difference, definitely DW approved.

-Brian
Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Bar-OneRanch

Update

Went out for the first time this past weekend and found that deburring the arms took care of the problem I had with one leg going up hard. Hope this may help someone else with the same problem.
Chris
2003 Flagstaff 25LB,1993 Terry 35V
1982 Serro Scotty 18',1976 Dutchcraft 25'
1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance