Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #21
howard

We like our Alpine, especially the heat pump, however when I went to trade it in on a new one, I was shocked at how much it depreciated. I've been to three (3) different dealers all with the same story that an Alpine does not hold it's value like a Montana and costs more new. I now have serious reservations about buying another one if I'm going to buy a new unit in 3-4 years. If you are going to buy one used, you will get a great RV at a great price.
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
gnirwin

I looked up the NADA book price on mine and compared it to a Montana equally equipped, my Alpine was actually bit more. Look up NADA prices and let your dealer know you have it. Sounds like typ. dealer smack.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
We like our Alpine, especially the heat pump, however when I went to trade it in on a new one, I was shocked at how much it depreciated. I've been to three (3) different dealers all with the same story that an Alpine does not hold it's value like a Montana and costs more new. I now have serious reservations about buying another one if I'm going to buy a new unit in 3-4 years. If you are going to buy one used, you will get a great RV at a great price.
That's funny, I just did a quick look at RV trader, looked at used Alpines and Montanas being sold by dealers. I did not see any indication that showed the Alpines were priced less than a Montana. In fact, if you look at the ones being sold by the same dealers, for the most part, they were priced identical. There is a wide range of pricing from different dealers and locations across the country, but that is expected and it was the same for both brands. I'd say just another dealer excuse to give a low trade price. If you had a Montana, they'd probably try telling you the market is flooded with used ones and they don't hold their value as well as an Alpine.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #24
gearhead

^^I'd believe Brent before I believed anything that came out of a salesmans mouth. Salesman and dealer are just looking for a way to take money out of your pocket and put it in theirs. That's their job.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

I just did a NADA survey of three rear lounge 38' fifth wheels, a Montana High Country, Montana Big Sky and Alpine trailer built in 2012 and priced in my area. The Alpine current resale value is about 54% of MSRP, the High Country is about 46% and the Big Sky is about 44%. That tells me, at least in those models, the Alpine is holding its value better (and selling at a higher price) than the Montana lines. Granted, there is a SIGNIFICANT depreciation on all three (and any other brand as well). No trailer will appreciate in value, few will hold their value near purchase price and most will "suffer significant depreciation" for the first 3 or 4 years. As a note, cars and trucks also depreciate about 15% as soon as you drive one off the dealer's lot. It's not that the truck is "worth less" it's more a matter of "retail vs wholesale" (the dealer can buy one from the factory cheaper than the price you paid for it, so he won't buy it back at a "loss to him"). Additionally, most people won't pay you the same for one that's been "owned before", so it's more a matter of supply and demand than value.

So, I'd suggest that the salesman is trying to use one of the oldest tricks in the "trade in book". Saying "If only you had..." and adding any excuse, is part of the "play book for used car salesmen".... He could blame "Alpine", or he could blame "Keystone" or he could blame "color or model or ????"

I'd wonder if anyone among us has never heard the words, "We could give you a much better trade in, if only ..."

I'd urge the OP to do his own survey at NADA.com and see just what his trailer is worth (as compared to other similar trailer brands). Armed with that information, he'll be much better prepared for talking with the salesman. He should be prepared for a significant depreciation of around 50% on any trailer brand traded every 3 or 4 years. At least in this area, "about half" seems to be the "general depreciation rate" on all trailers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #26
carwheel_09

Looking for Alpine owners

Have a look at this. Hardly any roof cement was used. If it was installed correctly wood chips from the OSB decking would have stuck to the roof.

Holiday World of Katy was supposed to repair this under warranty. I ended up doing it myself. They didn't even attempt to to the work they were paid for by Keystone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #27
Ddubya

How, did you notice this. How long had you had the unit when this happened?

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
gnirwin

Is there any sign of cement under the roofing? Hard to tell by the picture. The type of glue they use won't pull off chunks of the roof like you are looking for. if you look at videos of roof replacements, when the rubber is peeled off, chunks of wood don't come with it. It's not like a typical construction adhesive, that's why it is fastened around the perimeter. Not saying it wasn't a poorly installed roof but Keystone recommends in my owner manual inspecting all joints and seams often. it doesn't take much of a tree limb to tear it and add 70 mile winds.... I am going to apply Eternabond tape around my roof perimeter when mine comes out of storage.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #29
AlpineOppa

We bought a new 2014 Alpine 3010RE. Love it. We were shopping around at the Atlanta Camper Show looking for another Montana but there weren't any on display. We liked the layout of the Alpine and the Grand Design. The Alpine won out.
The Lippert 6 point auto leveling system was a big selling point. Although there are of course minor issues, I have no big complaints. Would I buy another? Sure would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Ford 350 6.4 Diesel Fx4
2009 Keystone Montana 2955
Currently
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummings Diesel 4x4 long bed srw
2014 Keystone Alpine 3010 RE
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #30
ChuckS

So for the fella as,king for Alpine owners hope the info presented was useful...As I stated I own a 2014 Alpine.. I have had some minor issues.. I would buy another Alpine again..

It I would ask the place you might be looking at to buy any fifth wheel what sort of issues they have seen.. I even talked to service manager before we bought our Alpine.. first place we looked st buying Montana from the salespeople told me the service manager was too busy to talk to me... so I didn't buy from them..

I think you would like an Alpine quite a bit.. However, I strongly urge you to ask about the issues you've seen presented....especially the troubles folks are seeing with front edge of roof ripping off clear back to AC unit...

This is happening and there is a reason... just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #31
gnirwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I think you would like an Alpine quite a bit.. However, I strongly urge you to ask about the issues you've seen presented....especially the troubles folks are seeing with front edge of roof ripping off clear back to AC unit...

This is happening and there is a reason... just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really think some of this is from tree branches etc. these rigs are tall, much taller than just a few years back. I know I have scraped my roof on branches already. doesn't take much to punch a hole or tear and then fifty or sixty mile an hour sustained winds and you got a rubber roof peeling. My cousin became rich repairing semi trailer roofs from tree damage and those guys were professional drivers. I know there are cases of poor workmanship but I'm willing to bet there are no more Alpine roofs peeling from shoddy workmanship than any other brand. After over 40 years of owning campers they really are much improved over what was out there 20 some years ago. Just a lot more to maintain and bigger and heavier.

Tags
alpine