Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
West Michigan Traveler

Montana High Country Fifth Wheels

Those of you that have or have had a Montana High Country fifth wheel, what are your impressions as to quality, how they pull and problems you may have had with them? Another question I have is do the electric levelers work well? I was looking at the Montana 3711 FL, but now I am considering the High Country 374 FL. I liked the hydraulic leveling system on the 3711 FL.
West Michigan Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
gnirwin

The only issue I have is when people buy them and expect the camper to be on par with the more expensive Montana's and Alpines. Lighter, unfortunately when it comes to campers usually means cheaper. When I bought my Alpine last year It was after a 2 year search and study. What I saw was basically 4 types of 5th wheels. The ulta expensive $100,000 plus, the high priced 60,000 to 80,000 ( these include the Montana's, the Alpines etc.), the medium priced ones (Montana high country) and the budget models. We all have our limits of what we can spend or want to spend. We need to keep things in perspective as to what we are getting too after our purchase. A Montana High Country is not going to make someone happy if they are expecting the comfort and quality of a Mobile Suites $120,000 rig and this is what I often see on people's posts. If your plans are weekend camping and maybe a couple week stay in it a few times a year it's probably the perfect camper for you, as long as you know it's limitations. If your plans are spending a month or 2 and maybe some traveling then one of the upper 2 types I mentioned are where you need to be. And of Course if you want to full time I personally would not recommend the High Country. My opinions of course.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
gearhead

I agree with most of the above. We have done trips right at a month in ours. No issue if we wanted to go a couple more months. We just like our home a lot more than our trailer.
We had some small trim issues but the biggest issue was with the Dometic refrigerator. It worked itself to death and crystalized the cooling system on the first trip. I assume that is the same Dometic that is in many RV's. Not a Keystone issue. I added a 5th Airborn pin hitch. It softened the ride a good bit. The electric levelers work good. I have had no issues with them.
Most of our trips are long pulls for 2-4 weeks. We don't do very many close to home.
No it's not a Mobile Suites.
I don't think I would buy one this time of year. Good chance it was delivered on salted roads. I doubt if most dealers will do much of a job cleaning it off. Mine didn't. Watch the label on the drivers side for manufacture date.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Barbell

I have to agree with most of the above. We bought our Montana just under 4 years ago after looking for 2 years. We went back several times to look at the HC but what sold us on the Montana is how the slide floors match the permanent floor, while in the HC, they don't match at all. Tripping hazard for us old people. Also lighter does mean cheaper and not just price but in build quality. We spent more on the Montana and the truck to pull it but would not have it any other way.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:49 AM   #5
NotyetMHCowner

We have really enjoyed our High Country. Have stayed up to a month in it without problems and could do a couple more. I wont have the electric levelers again, though. We have a lot of weight in the front; generator, 4 golf cart batteries, washer/dryer combo, etc. We have had problems with the front jacks over-amping and cutting off. I have since ran larger wire and a larger breaker and it has helped but not completely. Also, if one jack has to extend more than 2 inches more than the other jack, it wont auto level. This is ridiculous. I thought that is what AUTO level is?! I don't think the hydraulic leveling system does that, plus they have plenty of capacity to lift the weight.

We are planning on full-timing in the next few years and have pretty much narrowed down to the Mobile Suites. But, we have thoroughly enjoyed our High Country. You get what you pay for.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
bsmith0404

We looked at the HC, Montana, Alpine, Columbus, Big Country, Cedar Creek, Big Horn, Jayco Pinnacle, and Open Range. In the end there were a couple things that sold us on the Alpine, I didn't like the electric levelers on some of the units, I didn't like the storage on some (the drop frame is a huge difference), color combos on others turned us off, some cheep plastic parts such as locks for the closet doors....ect. If you take your time, send 15-20 minutes in each unit, sit down and start looking around, the build quality will start to show itself. Many people do a 5 minute walk through looking at the layout/big items, it's the little things that get missed until you go to use it. Spend the time in them, take some notes and then decide what features are worth paying for.

Another thing we liked about the Alpine is the heat pump, liked it when we were thinking about buying, love it now. We also like how the slide floors level out with the main floor.

As for the trailers now being delivered on salt roads, that is true, but it's hard to know how long it's been on the lot. It could have been delivered in Sept. Ones on the lot in July could have been delivered in Jan. You can ask the dealer when the unit was delivered, hopefully they'll be honest with you. The manufacturer date can help as well, but realistically doesn't guarantee anything. If you go to IN in Jan you will see yards full of RVs that were built in Sept/Oct waiting to be delivered, the yards are empty by April/May. The majority of RVs are delivered on salt roads.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
West Michigan Traveler

Thanks for the replies. After looking at several different fifth wheels, my preference is the Alpine. Brent I see you have a 2013 3500RE. Does that have the hydraulic levelers? If so are you satisfied with them?
West Michigan Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
allmi01

I just purchased a Montana 3710FL (sister to the 3711FL difference is RV vs residential refer) in October. The Montana is a higher end comparable with the Alpine's. The HC is lighter and a but less high end. It shows in insulation factors, full tie living warranty,and a few other little things that make the HC less expensive.

My Montana has the hydraulic auto-leveling and I love it. Has worked well for me.

Mike
Old 01-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Dave W

Ours is a '14 343RL High Country. So far the build quality has been just fine though it for sure is not a $100K unit. Interestingly it was built at least as well or better then our 'premium level' '06 Titanium. Problems have been minimal. Being a 4 slide 5er, we find that we are plenty comfortable in the 38 actual measured feet of living space. Cabinet storage is adequate as we can't begin to fill it up. It has been towed over 18,000 miles very nicely at 65-70 mph behind my F250 though that truck does have the 5er and the camper package so doesn't suffer anywhere but that less then truthful 'B' pillar yellow sticker. We opted to not purchase the self leveling feature as a couple of 2x6 or 8 blocks for a very few dollars works well with the power front legs/rear stabilizers. If I have any complaint about that 5er, it's the ridiculous black finished slide ends that suck heat. As far as full timing - not this 3 season 5er though we have managed to spend 80-90 nights a year in ours and expect this year to be about the same with another 2 lengthy trips planned plus the summer semi-seasonal site
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
gnirwin

Both the Alpine and Montana are nice rigs with many features only better campers have. To name a few: 12" frames, solid wood through out, hydraulic 6 point leveling, heated under bellies and storage compartments, high end suspensions with wet bolts etc. These are also available with full body paint which my Alpine has. You get a pretty nice 5th wheel in the end.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #11
Banjopicks

I don't know what you're all talking about. My wife and I bought a 2016 model in October and have been living in it quite comfortablyet. We added a real mattress; better love seat in front of the TV and combo washer. We're loving it and it's 26 degrees outside.

I haven't towed it yet.
Banjopicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Michigan Traveler View Post
Thanks for the replies. After looking at several different fifth wheels, my preference is the Alpine. Brent I see you have a 2013 3500RE. Does that have the hydraulic levelers? If so are you satisfied with them?
Yes it has the Lippert 6 point leveling system and yes I love it. Unhook, pull the truck clear, press the button and about 1-2 minutes later the RV is level and stable. I do add x-chocks, but I don't know that they do much to improve the stability of the 6 point system.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
Artpenny

We volunteer with the National Wildlife Refuges and have been fulltime for the last two years. Just ordered the High Country 370BR. Couldn't find a suitable floor plan in any of the others.

I have owned a Heartland TT, Forest River toyhauler and a Shasta 5er prior to this purchase. All of them were decent quality & would have lasted awhile with TLC and proper maintenance.

The differences in construction are minimal between the Montana and High Country models. Same 12" beam, R value insulation, heated underbelly, etc.

I've had the Lippert Leveling System on my last two units. Lipperts tech support is excellent. I've had issues with them but I have never had hydraulic legs so I can't compare. They are quite easy to repair/replace, if necessary though.

We plan to full-time for years to come. We may have got the Montana this time 'round but for the floorplans, pretty sure the High Country choice is a proper fit for us.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
Artpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #14
sjdobbins

I too have the High Country 370BR and must also sing praises for the Lippert Tech support. They will go the extra distance and help you diagnose any possible issue. We had to have the control panel replaced for the Ground Control Level Up system.
sjdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
tdawg

Love my 3535 Alpine the heat pump is great do Montanas have a heat pump?
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
...do Montanas have a heat pump?
The current Keystone RV website indicates the following in the OPTIONS section: •30,000 BTU dual whisper quiet A/C system with heat pump (Mandatory Option)

So to answer your question, yes, dual 15,000 BTU A/C's (with heat pump technology) is a mandatory option. http://www.keystonerv.com/montana/

This has not been the situation in previous years, but was included (I believe) on the 2016 models.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #17
Jfg

We just picked up our new high country Montana weds morn a 358bh. after spending 3 years in a heartland 3100rb . We looked at all brands that had the back bunks and settled on the High Country . I spent close to 6 hours going over the rig on three occasions and found only a few cosmetic issues . We took it out this weekend and it worked wonderfully. No surprises other than pulling it behind my one ton 350 superduty was so much easier than my other one . We made the right choice
Jfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #18
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfg View Post
We just picked up our new high country Montana weds morn a 358bh. after spending 3 years in a heartland 3100rb . We looked at all brands that had the back bunks and settled on the High Country . I spent close to 6 hours going over the rig on three occasions and found only a few cosmetic issues . We took it out this weekend and it worked wonderfully. No surprises other than pulling it behind my one ton 350 superduty was so much easier than my other one . We made the right choice

Congrats on the new rig. Have fun making memories with it.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:54 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Enjoy your new rig. Congrats!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #20
Bushed

I have a 2015 Montana high country 310RE, used it about 30 nights last summer. I had a few issues throughout the first year. I picked it up from the dealer and drove the 5 hours home. Got home and found the wooden valance over the kitchen table pulled out of the ceiling (the screws were just mounted into the fiver board not attached to anything that would hold it) I had the ceiling fan pull out of the ceiling as well and almost fall to the floor. I had a water leak in the shower and another on the kitchen sink drain. I also had the cable bracket for one of the rear slides break off. I just about think that the slides are too large for electric driven cable slides, they do struggle to extend and retract. The 4 point auto level has worked flawlessly. I hope I found all the assembly quirks the first year and will have no troubles this upcoming year. Other wise I love it, great lay out, pulls like a dream. And all the malfunctions I encountered were repaired quickly at the dealer and did not interrupt my camping season. I do not regret my choice of purchase so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bushed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, montana