Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
dieselsmoke

rattling 5th wheel legs

I just wanted to post something that has helped me regain my sanity. I have a curt 5th wheel with the legs that go directly into my ram truck bed using the puck attachments from the factory. The legs lock into the pucks by way of a 1/4 turn handle that is then held closed with a pin. That 1/4 turn handle rattles constantly driving me nuts. I happened to be in a plumbing supply store and saw "wobble wedges" these little rubber wedges used to stop a rocking toilet have worked perfectly to stop the rattling handles of the 5th wheel legs. They were 25 cents each but worth their weight in gold. I put the wedge between the leg and handle and now the 2 metal pieces cant rattle. AAAAAHHHHH!!! silence at last.

Sincerely,
A Happy Camper!

2012 ram 2500 cummins mega-cab
2014 hideout 298bhds 5th wheel
dieselsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
gearhead

Have you pulled the cotter pins and "snugged" up the lock pins? I haven't heard mine rattle yet. I adjusted them when I first installed it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
RayT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Have you pulled the cotter pins and "snugged" up the lock pins? I haven't heard mine rattle yet. I adjusted them when I first installed it.
I agree with Gearhead, sounds like the lock pins need to be adjusted. Mine were very snug with no chance for any rattling.

-Ray
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
dieselsmoke

I guess I could pull the cotter pin and give the castle nut a slight turn but when they lock into the bed there is no movement at all. Let me give that a try and see but there's not a lot of room for tightening or I wont be able to turn the puck into its slot. Thanks guys

2012 ram 2500 cummins mega-cab
2014 hideout 298bhds 5th wheel
dieselsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:09 AM   #5
Dave W

We have the B&W version hitch in a Ford and I have to say that I had a rattle too. Pulled the pins, tightened the nuts then reinstalled the cotter pins. No more noise. Even though the latch handles seemed snug, I was able to get a flat or two tighter. A socket of the correct size and/or a crescent wrench work well and one is always in reach.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
gearhead

You may find that you only need to snug up one or two. I suspect the four legs or the pin sockets are not square to what I would call Millwright square tolerances. Mine weren't.
Find the one that the lock lever is easiest to close and snug it first.
Let us know.......
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Barbell

Another white 3500 Ram here with the factory Curt hitch. Have never heard any rattle on this one. All the latches seem tight, but I have never had the hitch out of the truck.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
Dave W

I was about to order a spare just because but decided to look at what is already there first ...... and did so today.

If these fall off, it will take an 'outside' event as they, all four, are screwed on then locked in place with a tiny roll pin. There is a lock nut to hold it tight though as it will flop back and forth if loose.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote