Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
homer3

Electric Awning

327 RES 5-er, Does anyone know to lower the angle on awning. When extended I have to use ladder to hang lites on awning. When at dealer during walk thru on another trailer I was told that you could lock out the nuts on awning arms and this would force the awning down, but not a good idea for lengthy time as this would stretch/damage the installed shocks. ?? Suggestions

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
sjturbo

I had not heard that about the shocks, good to know! I bought used from a dealer so maybe they forgot to tell me on the walk through. That's the only way I would know. Actually I would think that the seals would hold on the shock anyway.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
buzzcop63

After a few times of running unit in and out I made sure the locking screws was loose and pulled the arm down and lock in place, the shock collapse down and I was able to pull down the other side. Have been doing so now each trip since to put on spinning Duck football decorations and to help clean up the underside. Have had no problem with unit or shocks. Keystone Manual explains to do this with one corner to help shed rain.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
After a few times of running unit in and out I made sure the locking screws was loose and pulled the arm down and lock in place, the shock collapse down and I was able to pull down the other side. Have been doing so now each trip since to put on spinning Duck football decorations and to help clean up the underside. Have had no problem with unit or shocks. Keystone Manual explains to do this with one corner to help shed rain.
I pull mine down all the time. IT lowers the awning so I can reach it plus it gives it a steep angle that any rain water will run straight off it, no ponding at all. PLUS its only 12 foot long.. If you watch it the arms are not compressed that much and you will see a bow in awning arm that extends out with the compression tube on it.
I have had mine for 3 years and I do this most every trip and the auto dump works as long as you do not tighten the screws. but when it does if you are not expecting it.. well it will get you wet and scare you too.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Pmedic4

Putting lights on the Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
327 RES 5-er, Does anyone know to lower the angle on awning. When extended I have to use ladder to hang lites on awning. When at dealer during walk thru on another trailer I was told that you could lock out the nuts on awning arms and this would force the awning down, but not a good idea for lengthy time as this would stretch/damage the installed shocks. ?? Suggestions

I put a rope light on my awning every trip, and what I do is just go to the awning arm, pull down the awning by hand to easy to reach level, and then tighten the lock nuts, I then hang the lights. When done, I just loosen the nuts, and let the awning go back to the 'normal' height, so there is no compression of the awning shocks other than 10-15 minutes when I install the lights. Of course, if it's threatening rain, or raining, I also lower one end so the water runs of where I want it to runoff. Of course I'm over six foot tall, so I have no problem reaching the awning arms even when up at the high level. Also, mine came with a 3-4' long strap, that slides into the groove in the awning roller, so you can pull it down, and have the SO tighten the locking nuts that way too, if your too short to reach the awning arm?

Now In Laws have a Motorhome and because of the slide, the Awning is like 15 feet off the ground, and you can/t easily pull it down without hitting on the slide - it's almost sort of a useless awning.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
WaltBennett

I've never been able to get the shocks to compress (altho I can get a slant by pulling one side down & pushing the other up and locking the knobs. The shocks seem to stay pretty much open, even when I retract or extend the awning. The upper arm they're attached to bends a bit too. Guess I'd better play with them some & see what's what.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Shocks not compressing on Awning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
I've never been able to get the shocks to compress (altho I can get a slant by pulling one side down & pushing the other up and locking the knobs. The shocks seem to stay pretty much open, even when I retract or extend the awning. The upper arm they're attached to bends a bit too. Guess I'd better play with them some & see what's what.
I'd be really surprised your awning shocks are not compressing if you just reach up and pull down the arm or even the strap on the awning. I would say for the last 3 RV's we've owned( don't ask, 3 different RV's in 4 years), it would only take about a 15 pound weight to totally compress the shocks, as they really aren't that 'stiff''?

Sounds like you've tightened and loosen the knobs, so can't be that their tight.

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Bigbeardiver

Anyone have a video of this? That would be cool to see.

Actually found one

2009 Sprinter 311BHS
Patrick and Brenda
Bigbeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
abneynormal

lock er down

the advantage to a awning like ours is you can angle a side to let water off. if you don't want to compress it all the time bring it down do your business and let it back up. I always strap mine down. we just bought a sunscreen im excited to use it at our next bike rally
Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Pmedic4

Thanks Bigbeardiver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeardiver View Post
Anyone have a video of this? That would be cool to see.

Actually found one
Yep, a video is worth a million words, to paraphrase that old saying. You can clearly see how the guy uses one hand to reach up, pull down the awning and compressing the spring shock.

On that RV in the demo, that is a very high awning, but I'd be willing to bet he'd pull it down within 4-5 feet from the ground.

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I'd be really surprised your awning shocks are not compressing if you just reach up and pull down the arm or even the strap on the awning. I would say for the last 3 RV's we've owned( don't ask, 3 different RV's in 4 years), it would only take about a 15 pound weight to totally compress the shocks, as they really aren't that 'stiff''?

Sounds like you've tightened and loosen the knobs, so can't be that their tight.
Tried ours and they take way over 15 lbs to compress. The upper arms bend when the awning is out and when it retracts and the shocks don't compress until the awning is about half way up - apparently that's when there's enough pressure on them, and then everything straightens out and closes. The knobs are loose. In fact, if I can get the struts to compress (by almost hanging on them), I can't tighten the knobs enough to keep the awning down. I think someone put the wrong struts on this thing. I'll have to find out exactly what part number is supposed to be there.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Pmedic4

Wrong Struts/Shocks

Oh definitely. Like I said, ours are not like that at all!

Did you watch the video Bigbeardiver posted? At about 1:35 in the video, you can see the guy reach up and easily pull down the awning and compress the shock and quickly tighten the knob. That is exactly like our awning - in some ways, it almost seems to light, and I kind of worry about over time the springs in the shock will weaken, and we'll have to replace them to hold the awning up.

2017 Cougar 333MKS