Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
homer3

327 res 2013

Looking for information on step by step procedures for install a 2nd AC unit. According to dealer it's a no brainer. Not sure I want to tackle myself. They basically stated that if bedroom vent is prewired for AC that new unit should just drop in. I suspect that there is more to it then that. Even though I consider myself mechanically inclined I don't want to get in over my head. Any suggestions.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First of all, do you have 50 Amp service? If so, you probably do have a BR roof vent that is prewired for a second A/C. If you only have 30 Amp service, then it will be a "challenge" to install it.

There should be a red/white decal on the bedroom vent stating "Prewired for A/C" it may be under the shroud. If you don't see the decal, check your circuit breaker panel for two A/C breakers. If you find them, then remove the 4 screws securing the inside molding on the roof vent and pull it down. You may have to remove the vent knob as well. Look inside the superstructure and you should find a piece of Romex with the ends capped. This is your "prewired" A/C connection. If you find that wire, then yes, it's a fairly easy task to install a second A/C. The biggest challenge will be getting the A/C onto the roof. BE CAREFUL about where you sit it and DON'T drag it around up there. You can easily destroy your EPDM roof membrane.

If you aren't sure if you should tackle the install (fear of the unknown) then go to the Dometic website and download the installation instructions for the model you're thinking about. Keep in mind that all non-ducted A/C's will install almost the same way, so it's not real important which instructions you review.

You will want to install a "NON-DUCTED" A/C. It will not tie in with your existing ceiling ductwork and will not tie in to the thermostat. It will have a ceiling assembly with vents in each end, a power knob and a thermostat built into the ceiling assembly. Pretty much, what you'll need to do (if the vent is prewired) is remove the existing vent, clean the DICOR sealant from the EPDM membrane, sit the unit in place in the vent opening, secure it being sure to compress the sealant ring evenly, connect electrical supply, install ceiling assembly, turn on the breaker and turn on the A/C.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
homer3

2nd AC Unit

JRTJH

Sounds as though you have done this before, Yes my 5er is 50amp and pre-wired. My concerns were the actual installation and then securing the AC unit to RV.

Looking at Dometic website, Dometic Penguin II — Low Profile Air Conditioner, MO#60312C, 11,000 BTU, SCFM, high-speed max./min. 320/250. Installation type is non-ducted.

Thought about matching to existing mfg installed on unit now (but Non-ducted) just for appearance sake.

Using mainly just for BR portion of 5er.

Would appreciate your input.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd opt for a 13,500 BTU unit with the same "cover" as the existing unit on the fifth wheel. That way, when standing outside "admiring" your investment, both A/C's look the same. I know, "Anal compulsive" but I want things to match when they are that close.

Yes, I've done this before, a time or two. As for securing the A/C to the RV, there are 4 long bolts that go from the inside flange up through the vent opening and screw into the top unit. These 4 bolts are tightened enough to compress (but not deform) the sealing gasket under the top unit. That's all that holds the upper half on the RV roof. Then the inside ceiling assembly installs to complete the installation. It's really not hard, and as I said earlier, the biggest challenge is getting it on the roof and not setting it on anything that would damage the EPDM membrane... Otherwise, if you have a nonmetalic putty knife, a 1/4" socket set, a #2 square drive screwdriver and a phillips screwdriver you have pretty much everything you need.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote