Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Smitty43

Slide-out Awnings

Looking for input, be it good or bad, on installing awnings on my slide-outs. Are the worth the trouble and expense.--Smitty
Smitty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

Had them on my motor home and liked them. Less debris, water, more shade in the summer on the slide. Less stuff up there to potentially damage the seal.

Cons; other than coming up with the money and installation don't have any. If you're handy, installation doesn't look difficult.

I'm thinking I will put one on my Bullet in the near future.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty43 View Post
Looking for input, be it good or bad, on installing awnings on my slide-outs. Are the worth the trouble and expense.--Smitty
I had the awnings installed on all four slide outs. Expensive, yes but worth it in my opinion. Less trips for me up on the roof is a good thing!
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Smitty43

Thanks guys, I am thinking that other than expense there are not any cons. Do have one question, how does strong winds affect them?--Smitty
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
mhs4771

Some folks complain of them flapping in the wind and keeping them awake at night. We've never experienced that with them on any of our rigs, and we've been through some pretty heavy winds. If you camp in the North during the Fall, you'll be glad to have them, otherwise you'll be sweeping leaves and Pine needles off before closing the slides.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Hi I put them on my first camper, After the first one the other slides took about 1.5 hours to do. the new one came with them. As far as wind noise the trees make more noise!!! they are worth every peney spent!there are no cons just pros. enjoy
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
RVbear

Have had them on all of our RVs. It is usually a negotiating point during the sale. Well worth the $. They do tend to sag and puddle some water during rainstorms. I sometimes go up and sweep the water off if there's a lot. Running the slide in and out works too.
RVbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Kalico Daxx

My very first RV was a Trails West horse trailer with living quarters, and it was equipped with the awnings over the slide. It really cut down on draft noise during windy days, and kept a lot of debris from getting on the slide, therefore, not as much work to clean up. Since then, I have had 2 Cougars not equipped with slide awnings, and I will likely be adding them to my newest Cougar. I had zero issues with the slide awnings, and like everyone else says, there are no cons I can come up with. I think they are worth it and save a lot of tedious clean up work too.
Kalico Daxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Labracadabera

We don't have the slide awnings on our new 3100RL, simply because of cost at this point. Will most likely be a fall/winter project when we aren't travelings so much.

We had one on our last trailer (Cougar TT) and the ONLY time we ever had an issue was at OBX during Tropical Storm Nicole that sat over us for days on end. The slide awning was flapping like mad and to put the slide in left a really small area for two people, two large dogs and a parrot to try to live so we had to weigh it down to keep it from ripping. Our friends losts theirs during this and had to have it replaced.

That was very unusual circumstances and lots of men in tighty whities running around outside in the middle of the night trying to deal with the issues Very funny now..............very frustrating as it was happening
Labracadabera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
blackty

Buddy and I put my three on in a couple of hours. Not difficult at all...Jim

Well worth it.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Smitty43

I sure thank everyone for the response to my question.--Smitty
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
RV 4 Fun

We had them on our Jayco Designer. Enjoy them keeping the debris off the slides...pine needs, leaves etc.
The two cons I had....were
1) had snow on them about 6 inches deep....and was afraid of pulling the toppers loose(with the broom) as I brushed off the snow from the slide vrs. just sweeping off the surface with the slide. And I could not jump down onto the slide tops to sweep off the snow.
2) we did have high winds make an awful lot of noise a couple times....apparently the wind was at just the wrong angle to the trailer and it was flapping all night long....and cuz it was on the bedroom slide...really could not pull the slide in and still sleep. So consider carefully
We don't have them currently on our Montana....and probably won't get due to cost and that darn wind problem.
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
neesey62

Where did you get them from, blackty?
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote