Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Badge

Angry Slideout Cable

I have a 2012 2700RL and we are traveling across the country. Yesterday I noticed my bedroom slide was making noises. I looked at the cable and noticed it was frayed. It is holding by just a few strands. I contacted a mobile repair service and he said he would need to order the part and it would be two or three days to get it here. I said that was unacceptable and I contacted Keystone. My rig is still under warranty and I have breakdown insurance. The insurance only covers the service call for mobile repair; If I were to take it to the dealer it would be covered. I can't wait three days. When I contacted Keystone they told me they could only ship the part to a authorized dealer, not the mobile repair man. I told them to ship it to the local dealer and the mobile repair would pick it up there. I asked that since this is under warranty that they ship it overnight air. They sounded like I was asking them to fly me home. I am stuck. I have all our belongings in our rig as well as our cats. We have reservations at other camps that will need to be adjusted and this just messes up everything. The least they could do is to ship it quickly.
After several calls and begging, they begrudgingly agreed. They told me that as a one time goodwill gesture they would do this. I was insulted. This is not a good will thing, this is just good business. I am saving them money by having this done by a mobile rv repair service. If I took it to a dealer they would be paying for all the dealer charges.
I am insulted by Keystones lack of costumer care. If this was a five year old rig I might understand. This is new and under warranty. This is also an item that Keystone might want to look at redesigning since many others have had the same problem.
Everyone needs to let Keystone know of this problem and see what their customer service is really made of.
2012 Montana 3700RL, Slide Toppers, Travler 3005 dish, Onan 5500, Load Range G tires, Jack Antenna. 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LT,5 Speed Allison, CC, LB, Line-X,Tekonsha Prodigy, Firestone Ride Rite, Transfer Flow Midship Tank, ttt-mirrors, Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt, TST 507 Tire Monitor, Roto Chocks, Reese 20K
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
billb800si

You're referring to your bedroom slide. You can still travel by retracting your slide until the cable is available. Phone Keystone and inform them of an area you will be at for a few days. In turn contact a dealer in that area and see if they can fit you in for a warranty repair. If all goes well they can fix you up.

This is an inconvenience but consider if you were traveling and your car broke down don't expect the manufacturer to jump through hoops to get you back on the road. Be flexible and you should have your problems fixed in short order.
Good luck,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
stlucia

Badge

I feel your pain. I have two weeks of vacation and this year we choose to spend our time out of the office in the Florida Keys. We live in Central Texas. A 1460 mile juant, one way, to Key West. We arrived and found our slide-out cable was frayed. I, like you, contacted Keystone and got the same answer as you. I was told that I could drive to Fort Lauderdale and get an appointment with a Keystone dealer, when I contacted them (dealer) I was told that my repair would be "at least a week or two" to get fixed.

I then contacted a Keystone dealer close to my home and they said that they could get me up and running "in a couple of days". So, we packed up and headed home, cutting our vacation time short. We arrived back home a little after 2:00 am, so the next morning I contacted my local dealer and was told that the delay with the slide-out cable is usually on Keystone...waiting for them to ship the correct cable. So, I called Keystone back and yep, was informed that it takes "several business days" for them to receive the cable request and for them to ship the cable out. WHAT?

So, my delima is I put my fifth wheel in the shop, knowing that I'm looking at 4-5 business days (essentially the rest of my vacation) or taking the Keystone approach and saying "screw it" and try to enjoy our last week of vacation. Like your Keystone product, my is also under warranty...less than 1 year owned. Keep in mind that I've had a water leak that was soaking my carpet, and this is the second cable that has frayed on me.....one on each side of our 5er. Like you, I'm PISSED!

I was actually told by a Keystone Customer Service Representative "what would you like me to do? Do you think your problem is more important than the other people already waiting for repairs?" My answer was, I'm not more important than anyone else. I would just like a little more support. How do you not know what cable to order TODAY when you know what trailer and slide-out I'm having issues with? Why can't you overnight the cable? Why did you refuse my request of a moble RV repair that operates out of The Keys.

I'm in the process of filling out a BBB complaint.

If you got a surly personality on the other end of the phone, I bet you that I can guess the name of that individual, as I have spoken with her a few times now and she must be a unhappy person. She has made it really personal. I'm responding by insisting that Keystone replace my air matress that came with a leak, repair the crack that has formed on my bathroom wall, fix the outside porch light that has started to rust, and replace the broken hing on one of my drawers....all things that I had intentions of repairing myself. I'm putting it back on them.

Is Keystone a good product? Before my purchase and after doing research I would have answered "yes". Does Keystone Customer Service lack? HELL YES!!
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Ron

Our 2012 3800RE had a cable frayed do to Frame Flex, Keystone did a so called Field Repair and fixed the problem. With Frame Flex, the bedroom slide frame is moving and pushing against the cable while traveling down the road causing it to fray. Very long story and on going problems with Frame Flex, I think that is why Keystone Montana has discontinued several models due to this issue. When you are hooked up to the TV, look under the slide gasket and you may see the frame pulled apart like ours was.. http://i44.tinypic.com/jt4dow_th.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/swtswp_th.jpg

Our trailer since new has been in the shop a total of 4 month for this issue and others due to Frame Flex and is still not resolved, very unacceptable for a $60,000 plus unit...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
stlucia

Just for others comparison, I have a 2013 3750FL.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlucia View Post
Just for others comparison, I have a 2013 3750FL.
I would guess that if you have had 2 cables fray, you also might have Frame Flexing going on. I personally know of about 10 plus Montana owners that have had this problem. Take a look at my pics and you just might find what I did that when hitched to the TV and pin weight on the trailer, open your living room slides and look behind the rubber seal and your slide frame also might be pulling apart, I hope not. Keep us posted on what your next move is or Keystone's, in my opinion, the #1 trailer on the market is way far below that in quality etc. I am also not a happy camper and sometimes just wish the darn thing would just scatter all over the highway due to poor construction methods on Keystone's part.......
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Badge

Unhappy

Back on the road. No thanks to Keystone. I had the part sent overnight and had a mobile repair done at the RV park ($250). I paid a large amount of money for this trailer and I do expect the manufacture to jump when I need help. The person at Keystone was of little help. The attitude was this is your problem and we are busy. Because the dealer didn't talk to the right person at Keystone the part was not covered by the warranty. I will be stopping by the factory on my way back home and I will be letting them know what I think of their customer care. Not that they care. They just want to sell trailers.
2012 Montana 3700RL, Slide Toppers, Travler 3005 dish, Onan 5500, Load Range G tires, Jack Antenna. 2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LT,5 Speed Allison, CC, LB, Line-X,Tekonsha Prodigy, Firestone Ride Rite, Transfer Flow Midship Tank, ttt-mirrors, Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt, TST 507 Tire Monitor, Roto Chocks, Reese 20K
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote