Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Pmedic4

New Member from Illinois

Just joined the Keystone family. Just upgraded a 24' travel trailer to a 29 foot Cougar.
My wife and I have a long history of RV's, going from popup campers to 31 foot trailers, back to popup, to trailer and now to our new fifth wheel, and several alternative stops in between. I think a big part of the RV life is doing it and trying different versions until you understand what you want out of your RV.
Big concern for me is towing, which sort of got us out of the RV experience when we had the 31 foot TT, as it just plain scared me to pull that thing down the road, so we just stayed away from anything. I hope this fifth wheel works for us, and its not the white knuckle tow'r. I've been cautious about the weight limits on my truck and the size of the 29 footer, so I'm expecting a good combination, and didn't want to just get something small to meet those restrictions. Seems like the Cougar Helium Technology was just what we've been looking for in a RV.
We have typically stayed fairly close to home, but expect to branch out here as we approach retirement and beyond. Can't get to excited about some of the commercial campgrounds, which are little more than parking lots for RVs, with 8 foot between the parking spots, and we like some open space and area to be outside.

Pictures to follow when we get some space!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Ed & Mary -
I think you will enjoy both the 5th wheel and its size. We have a 28 ft Cougar and; for the two of us, it meets all of our needs.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase and the new, open spaces that are waiting for you. Glad to have you with us and welcome to the group.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
crash

to the forum,glad to have you hear and hope you enjoy your new 5ver.You will be please with how different they pull compared to a tt,we have a 42ft 5ver and love it ,it pulls so good
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Badboy

Where at in Illinois are you from,and to the forum.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Scratch

Welcome. We've had similar experiences pulling a 30' TT. Just one trip thus far with our Cougar, but it was quite enjoyable. Just working out some minor tweaks before we hit the road next month.

DW is originally from southern Illinois. We love going back to visit those farmlands and rolling hills.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Pmedic4

New to Keystone -

We're from Rochester IL, little village outside of our state capitol, Springfield.

We are picking up our 5fr on Thursday 3-28, from Pontiac RV. I've never bought anything from them, but my sister-in-law has and was pleased with the sales and service.
My old TT was from Camping World, and really no complaints, just was so far from home, I didn't want to take it for service for a 400 mile round trip, which when you towing a 6000lb trailer, we were only getting about 9-10mpg. Didn't mind so much when on a real trip, but just to get some little odds and ends repaired it didn't seem worth the $130-140 in gas.
I insisted to my wife that we buy from a dealer a little closer, of course always hoping that I never have to do any warranty or service work.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote