Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
brucem26

FM Radio reception

Our 2014 Montana HC does not have a roof mounted radio antenna like our previous TT did. FM reception has been very poor in the unit. I removed the Jensen radio/DVD combo and the antenna is just a coil of wire on the back twist tied to the unit and plugged into the coax (the connection is tight).

My question is A) would I get better FM reception if I spread out the wire antenna and taped it inside the fireplace enclosure instead of it being coiled up and B) would it make any sense to add an external antenna either on the side or on the roof (watching overall height of course).
Many thanks.

2104 Montana High Country 318RE
2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
brucem26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Try relocating inside the fireplace enclosure first and if there is no significant improvement, a side mount antenna might be the best option rather than going up through the roof. It not only could be a shorter and more direct route but also would do away with having to drill a hole in your roof.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
BlindGuyNAR

Yeah ran into the same thing. I bet that saved them $5 per trailer big bonus for someone I guess.

I got a hidden Amplified ant made for a car. Direct replacement. My jensen had a power lead for an ant that comes on/off with radio. 10 times better now.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
brucem26

Is this the kind of thing you mean?
http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jense...d-antenna.html
When you say there is a power point for it, is there a place to plug it into the Jensen or do you mean in that gaggle of wires coming into the back?

2104 Montana High Country 318RE
2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
brucem26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
Sparky

I had the same issue. I ran the coiled up wires up thru the cabinet then across the rear window frame. Reception is now good, not normal but good.
Pull Rite Hitch
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
WaltBennett

At least you had an antenna attached! Our home theater box didn't have anything, although a wire antenna was in the bag of misc. parts that came with the manuals.

Yes, a wire-type antenna (dipole or folded diapole) must be spread out to work. I ran ours along the wall inside the cabinet and in back of the fireplace - ours is against the back wall and there was plenty of room. If you don't have enough room, you could try folding the arms downward at about the half-way point. That will still be much better than just being rolled up.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucem26 View Post
Is this the kind of thing you mean?
http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jense...d-antenna.html
When you say there is a power point for it, is there a place to plug it into the Jensen or do you mean in that gaggle of wires coming into the back?
Yes actually I used that exact one. And yes the "gaggle" of wires. Just look up you radios model number for a manual that should include a wiring diagram. Also the wires are normally marked.

You can also try just spreading the wires you have. It wasn't enough to pull in the game at our fav spot. The powered one pulls it in fine.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
macattack

Does your new Montana not have a roof-mounted TV antenna? Because if it does, that antenna should work just fine as an FM antenna, too. Just put a splitter on your coax feeding the living room TV and run the new output to the FM receiver.

Bob and Donna
Gettysburg, PA
2012 Montana 3625RE
2010 Ford F350 dually
One Cocker Spaniel, one Tennessee Walker
macattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Charli

We had the same problem with poor reception. Took the Radio/DVD unit out and wire antenna was all coiled up. I drilled a few holes and ran it up the wall behind the TV and spread it out inside the cabinet above the TV. I was so proud of what I had accomplished. Tried it out at the first campground. NO CHANGE! Was I P.O.'d. the external antenna sounds like the best solution or I go sit in the truck to listen to the game.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Terry W.

We also had thr same issue and found the ant. coiled behind. I got a dipol ant from Radio Shack and it was ok, but. I went and got an external metal mast with spring mounted it on the side with about 6-8 inchs above roof line but below ac and it is GREAT, as Tony says.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Ayotte

I have the same antenna and also ran it up through the cabinet and spread it out. My am and fm both work great as long as I am not pulged into 110 power. Seams like the converter is causing the problem. Did get a noise filter and installed it on the power lead to the radio and also ran wires directly to the battery. Seemed to help some but still not good.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote