Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
woster

Laredo Grey Tank Configuration

I have a grey tank valve operator stuck in the open position. I'm guessing the cable is kinked somewhere between the T-pull and the valve. Does anyone know where I can find a tank configuration diagram so I don't need to drop the entire belly coroplast/insulation to access?

There is only one grey tank main drain below the coroplast so I assume one tank feeds into the next. Since the stuck valve is on the furthest tank, is there any risk just leaving this valve open and controlling flow with the one on the main grey drain?

Thanks
Quality of life is 10% what happens to you.....90% how you react
woster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Does your black tank have it's own dump outlet????? Normally both gray and black tanks share the same outlet to sewer. Leaving one gray tank open while dumping the black tank can (and most likely will) cause contamination of the gray tank. I would assume there is a smaller (1 1/2" or 2") pipe running under the chloroplast and connecting to the 3" drain before it exits the chloroplast. (Unless you have two sewer connections) If the cable worked in the past, I doubt if it kinked. It may need lubrication or the tank valve may be stuck. Try some penetrating oil or cable lube at the handle end and see if that frees it up. If that does not work you will have to go to the other end (under the chloroplast) and free the valve. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
woster

There is one 2" gray tank main and one 3" black tank main below the coroplast at the sewer connection. There are two gray tank T-handle valve operators and one black tank T-handle valve operator. The furthest gray tank valve is stuck open.

You are probably correct that the valve is stuck and the not a kinked cable since it did work before (although it was very difficult to operate).

Any thoughts as to where to locate a tank layout diagram or should I just drop the coroplast and insulation?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
labs4life

I will guess and say there is no diagram. However, the tank is most likely in close proximity to whatever it drains. Ie, galley tanks are generally very close to the kitchen, black tank, under toiler, etc. this should give you at least a ballpark guess as to where it is. You can probably gently push up on the coroplast and feel the tank.

Good luck and let us know when you get it fixed!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
woster

Turns out it was the valve actuator cable after all. I dropped the coroplast (not fun) and found the tank configuration was nothing like I expected. The galley gray tank was oriented across the trailer just in front of the axles, the black tank and bathroom gray tank are oriented front to back in front of the galley gray tank. The black tank and bathroom gray tank both dumped into a 3 inch main drain and the galley gray tank was on it's own 1 1/2" main drain. Good thing I dropped the coroplast and did not rely on the assumption that the gray tanks were on the same main drain line. Could have been a very messy mistake.

Anyway, cable is fixed, other cables are lubed and working smoothly and life is good again.

It's a shame Keystone doesn't put out diagrams of what goes on under the coroplast. Someone should start publishing manuals for RVs like a Chilton's Guide or similar. I know these trailers aren't complicated, but some engineer must do a layout drawing during the mfgr. process don't ya think?

Oh, I also found the flex duct for the heated underbelly was completely detached from the underfloor ductwork.....no screws were installed, just foil duct taped.

Thanks