Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
tundraman67

Stabilizers

Installed JT Strongarms on my Cougar Xlite 29RES on Saturday, I read how much they added to the stability but this is wonderful. Now the DW can go to the bathroom without the trailer feeling like it's going through the rinse cycle. All for $300 and 3 hours of my lifespan. For all of the people that posted on this subject, thanks for all the information and thoughts - it took me six months and a lot of reading before I finally did it.
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Bokchoy

How did it work?

How did the stabilizers work?
Bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
tundraman67

Stabilizer

They work great - no movement at all except when someone is really trying - like jumping up and down. Installation was simple, the pictures in the instructions really helped, took me 3 hours working alone, would have been shorter but the hot metal down the shirt made me jump around. I am going to really try them out this weekend on the first trip with them attached.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
FireMech

How do the stabalizers compare to the tri-pod 5th wheel pin attachment?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

From the feedback that appears here on the forum, most members who have installed stabilizers are very satisfied with them and with the significant reduction in shaking and movement of the RV.

I have a tripod, tried it a few times and I can say that I'm not overly impressed with it. The decrease in movement is very minimal and the added inconvenience of finding a place to store it and packing it around make me think that I might just sell it and invest in one of the 2 or 3 permanently-mounted and efficient stabilizers.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
FireMech

Yes I am also tired of storing the tripod and from the pictures I have seen I think I can make my own stabilizers.

Tundraman67 or others - can you post a few close up pictures of the mounting brackets of your stabilizers?

thnx
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
tundraman67

Stabilizers

I really don't have any experience with a tri-pod, after reading the hundreds of posts on here and RV.net I went straight to the stabilizers. The instructions are downloadable from the internet with better pictures than I could provide you, somehow I can't upload pictures no matter how much I try. I probably could have made some myself with tubing, common brackets, etc., but I just don't have the time so I opted for the mid-range ones. There are also youtube videos that show you how they work/attach to the TT. I will try again to upload some picture after I read the extensive posts on the best way to do it - or better yet get my son to do it.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
NMRVer

jt strong arms

My dealer talked me into buying these when I purchased my 5r. They work great and keep everything stable. I'm just wondering if I should also get one of those pin style also? Maybe over kill, but out here in NM we get 60+ mile an hour winds for months and the swaying can keep one up at night. So I like to know if having both are worth it?
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
slewis1694

I installed the JT Strong Arm Stabilizers on my 5th wheel and found they do exactly what they are advertised to do. After my son-in-law felt how sturdy our trailer was, he installed them on his 5th wheel and my brother-in-law installed them on his travel trailer. My sister-in-law commented that the rocking and swaying in her trailer was the way she thought all trailers were supposed to be, and they have had travel trailers for over 20 years. She couldn't believe what a difference the stabilizers made.

We got our first trailer last year and that was one of my first investments. I also have the pin stabilizer for when I can't keep my truck connected but found that I really don't need it because the stabilizers do such an outstanding job.
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers, Trailair Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, Curt 20K Slider Hitch, Firestone Dual Air Ride System with Load Lifter Air Bags, Tri-Metric Battery Monitor System, Power Max PM4B-75 Boondocker Converter/Charger, Replaced 2-12volt batteries to 2-6V Trojan T106 batteries, replaced all 921 light bulbs with LED's.
slewis1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Thumbs up BAL- Lock Arms

After everyone talking about how effective this type of stabilizer is I decided to let some of the moths escape from my wallet and buy them. I choose the BAL-Lock Arms because of price and the fact that I could buy them one set at a time. I got two sets and installed them on the front landing gear. Less than an hour and I can not believe how solid it feels when I walk around inside the trailer. They were less than $160 total. We will test them out on our one month April trip. One more set ($79) on the rear and there would be no movement at all. My wife was impressed and that is all that counts. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
NMRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis1694 View Post
I installed the JT Strong Arm Stabilizers on my 5th wheel and found they do exactly what they are advertised to do. After my son-in-law felt how sturdy our trailer was, he installed them on his 5th wheel and my brother-in-law installed them on his travel trailer. My sister-in-law commented that the rocking and swaying in her trailer was the way she thought all trailers were supposed to be, and they have had travel trailers for over 20 years. She couldn't believe what a difference the stabilizers made.

We got our first trailer last year and that was one of my first investments. I also have the pin stabilizer for when I can't keep my truck connected but found that I really don't need it because the stabilizers do such an outstanding job.
Thanks,
My 5er is stable also, I just wanted you opinion on whether I should also have the pin stabilizer. Since you haven't felt any difference, I'll save my money for something else. Thanks a million.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
drbob30

After reading all the posts, I purchased the Eliminator by Ultra Fab; the full set (for landing gear and back jacks) was $260 from Tweety's RV (best price I found and NO freight charge). The CW service person (I spoke with) said that the ONLY reason to use the king pin tripod; is if you plan to be setup for an extended period (over two weeks) to help prevent sag. He said that the tripod really wasn't made to stop/reduce side to side or back/forth movement.

Happy Camping!! Hopefully it warms up and stays warm; so we can camp here in NE.
drbob30 is offline   Reply With Quote