Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
raytronx

Review of Cougar Fifth Wheel after 18 months of constant use

I've been traveling for 18 months in my 276RLSWE, logged a lot of miles and stayed in many places. I've put up a full review of the trailer with the pros and cons.

Check it out here

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
SkiSmuggs

Awesome review, thanks! I liked that you told us how you fixed the problems you found. You might try an aftermarket window film for that problem.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
raytronx

Thanks SkiSmuggs, good suggestion. I see some trailers down in the south with an almost mirror like film.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
byrdr1

Enjoyed your reviews & thanks.
loving our Cougar 2 years later, like you a few small things here and there, but easy fixes for me.
its sitting bedside the house now waiting patiently for us to use it.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

Oh, and we replaced our mattress the first week with a 10" memory foam mattress from Costco, and put the down mattress topper from our previous TT on it. Very comfortable.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Oh, and we replaced our mattress the first week with a 10" memory foam mattress from Costco, and put the down mattress topper from our previous TT on it. Very comfortable.
How is that for heat? Just wondering as I've heard they can be too hot in summer weather, although the newer ones boost they are cooler.
We have been seriously looking at them
Do you know the brand you have.

Thanks Ray

LoveYourRV.com
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
SkiSmuggs

This is one of the new ones with a cooling layer at the top (plus we have the down topper we added). This is the one we got:
http://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-...100004098.html
Getting the old one out was the hard part. Then just unbox it on the bed platform as it is highly compressed and expands when you cut the shrink wrap.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

We also have the big rear window which transfers a huge amount of heat into the RV. I bought a roll of fiberglass mesh sunscreen from Home Depot and cut it to fit the outside of the rear window. Put velcro tape around the window and on the screen. We had to sew the velcro to the screen as it would not stick securely, but no problems with the velcro on the window aluminum frame. Now, when we get to a campground that has us positioned with the sun coming in that big window, I pull out the rolled up screen, stick it to the window frame and it stays cool inside. We can still see out, just like looking through a conventional window screen. Ideally, I'd like to put a roll up window awning on that window but there is not enough framework in the rear wall to secure it to the trailer. So, the screen is still doing its job.

Just another option for you to consider.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We also have the big rear window which transfers a huge amount of heat into the RV. I bought a roll of fiberglass mesh sunscreen from Home Depot and cut it to fit the outside of the rear window. Put velcro tape around the window and on the screen. We had to sew the velcro to the screen as it would not stick securely, but no problems with the velcro on the window aluminum frame. Now, when we get to a campground that has us positioned with the sun coming in that big window, I pull out the rolled up screen, stick it to the window frame and it stays cool inside. We can still see out, just like looking through a conventional window screen. Ideally, I'd like to put a roll up window awning on that window but there is not enough framework in the rear wall to secure it to the trailer. So, the screen is still doing its job.

Just another option for you to consider.
Nice idea, we have been using the silver reflective stuff like people use in thier car windows. I have some sized for each window and it stays in there pretty good. It helps with heat and cold but of course we can't see out.

But a some campgrounds that's not such a bad thing.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post

But a some campgrounds that's not such a bad thing.
Oh yeah, I know eggz ak-tly what you mean LOL

Thanks for the indepth reviews, they really show a sense of understanding about RV limitations as well as realistic expectations of what an RV "should do" without the usual "name calling" or "put downs" associated with equipment that doesn't always work as expected.

Well done !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Martydonna

Nice review Raytronx. We just purchased a 2013 327RES (upgrading form a TT) we will be pulling it with a 1996 F350 7.3 PSD. Its a different pull with the 5th wheel and backing up is different also. Can't waint till spring.

Marty.
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
raytronx

That's a nice layout Marty

Backing up is not too bad. I always remember what one experienced sales guy said. Take it slow. The fifth wheel can take a while to react and if you rush it you get too far past the apex of the turn and you can never recover, I also always look at where my trailer wheels are going, that's where the trailer will go.

Longer trailers are easier I find, my wife's 20 ft boat trailer makes me nuts backing it up!

LoveYourRV.com
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Martydonna

Thanks Raytronx for the good advice. Like your rustic style of camping.

Marty.
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
TomHaycraft

Ray,

At the risk of sounding like everyone else ... but who can argue with the truth ... great write-up, really enjoyed reading it. Gave me some ideas for upgrades I'd like to do with my Springdale. I looked closely at the Cougar line, but just didn't have enough truck to step up to that level.

Your reference to the sub-par furniture quality, specifically the foam in the rockers and (for me) dinette pads struck a cord. I've had the good fortune to have used the trailer each month since purchasing it last August and see the chairs and dinette cushions will need "upgrades" this Spring.

Thanks again for sharing the details.

Tom
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote