Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Frdfan

Factory sealant

Hello everyone
Can someone please tell what Keystone uses when they factory seal the 5th wheel seams on the front and sides. We bought 2011 Mountaineer new from the dealer in June and it had been in their lot, to RV shows etc. for over a year. Any other Rv I've owned had proflex or some other kind of white sealant where ever needed on the trailer. Our trailer is sealed with clear silicone for some reason that is now dirty after one season and will not clean up. I pretty sure the dealer resealed the unit with the wrong stuff but want to confirm.
Thanks for your responses.
Frdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Bushman512000

Not clear but was

Think its factory I have some also real mess but still stuck good just not Eye candy
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
Terrydactile

Mine is factory sealed with silicone. You can not use any kind of sealant over top silicone, not even silicone. Will not stick to its self. You have to remove ALL silicone to reseal.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Frdfan

Thanks guys, I have begun the task of removing the silicone and thinking about resealing with proflex, it will look much better and clean up nicer.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Bushman512000

reseal?

What did You use to remove the old sealent ?Was it a big job to get it off?You try different stuff to get it done?Nice to replace it with a better product.Post a few pic. when done if You will please Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Frdfan

Update
Well we are near the 90 day exterior warranty and brought the unit in for some warranty work (new front decals, slide toppers, interior trim work, counter tops) so I mentioned I was not happy with silicon sealant. One of the techs came out and totally agreed with me. My dealer has now submitted a warranty claim to have the whole trailer re sealed with the proper stuff,,,fingers crossed.