Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
pscole98

How to manually retract slide outs

Hello all my name is Pete. This is my first post, I'll check in with the newbie section later.

I have a 2012 Montana High Country 343RL. Over the weekend the wife and I somehow managed to bring a slide out in, while I was raising the front racks. The 30 amp fuse that is in the battery compartment burnt (took me 30 minutes to find that). I was able to raise and lower the camper to hook up that would have been no problem. But I could no find any knuckle or disconnect or anything that would allow me to override the cable system to bring the slide outs in. The owners manual just said to check with manufacturer manual. Which I did not have.

Does anyone know how to manually override the system?

My solution was to run down the local gas station and buy all the fuse kits they had so I had at least one 30 amp and a extra. We were able to get everything in an hooked up after replacing the fuse.

Just a tip from a newbie here. Make sure you have extra fuses. Thanks for the help in advance.
pscole98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
CarKath

You should be able to put a crescent wrench on the square tube that runs from side to side on slide and wind it in. You say you have a cable system however. So , I may be wrong here.

FYI, you blew the fuse by holding landing gear button a second or 2 too long.

Do yourself a favor and make a mark at retracted limit and stop there.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Halibutman214

In a pinch aluminum foil works great for a blown fuse. Just don't leave it in.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
grayghost03

You should have a flex drill connection (silver about 12 inches long with a hex on one end of the shaft and a small socket on the other) included with trailer, mine had 2 of em, they attach to motors and using a drill you just run em in. Or you can do it by hand with the flex attachment but it takes awhile. They should be in the bag with literature or in the kitchen drawers.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Firecapt

I'm sorry to disagree with Halibutman214 but if you "over ride" a fuse by using aluminum foil or another piece of metal you are circumventing the reason for the fuse to be there to begin with, which is to prevent damage to the circuit or electrical components on that circuit.

If you do this, you may cause damage to the motor, wiring, etc. It is far better to use a manual means to move the slides and then troubleshoot the system to find the problem.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Loader

I don't know about your specific model, but my Montana has hydraulic actuators for the slides - no cables and no electric motors. The bedroom slide tracks and everything are completely sealed so you can't get to anything under it.

I blow that 30-amp fuse all the time. I had a weak battery and it was causing the motor to strain too much. A new battery and no more fuse issues.

You can buy a pack of 30-amp only fuses from your local automotive store.
Loader is offline   Reply With Quote