Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #101
NorskeBob

Third roller

We are having continued problems with the end roller (dresser side of door) coming loose on the sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom. The door is not solid wood and the roller kept coming loose from hitting the screw that is used for a door stop. I took the door down and used gorilla glue to re-attach the screws and fill in the cracks in the fiber in the door. I then added a third roller between the two existing rollers and added a new end stop. I purchased the roller on amazon - Prime-Line Products N 6847 Pocket Door Roller Assembly, 3/4 in., FLAT, Plastic Wheels on Steel Bracket (Pack of 2). The end stop is a standard L bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0319 - Copy.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	13446  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #102
John&Genny

So I got underneath the slides yesterday and took a look at both hydraulic pistons on the dining room & entertainment center slides and didn't notice any significant leaking. There was one small bead of fluid on the Entertainment Center/Kitchen slide piston. After getting it on my finger, it looked more like some kind of lubricant than hydraulic fluid. I'll keep a look out for any other leaks from the piston.

The MCD shades seem to be a constant pain in the rear. What it looks like to me is those shades are basically the same internally and cut to whatever size the manufacturer specifies. So although the springs might be sufficient for the smaller shades, the springs just can't handle the larger shades installed in the 320. We will see what happens when we get the new end pieces installed, but I'm not holding out much hope.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #103
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
So I got underneath the slides yesterday and took a look at both hydraulic pistons on the dining room & entertainment center slides and didn't notice any significant leaking. There was one small beak of fluid on the Entertainment Center/Kitchen slide piston. After getting it on my finger, it looked more like some kind of lubricant than hydraulic fluid. I'll keep a look out for any other leaks from the piston.

The MCD shades seem to be a constant pain in the rear. What it looks like to me is those shades are basically the same internally and cut to whatever size the manufacturer specifies. So although the springs might be sufficient for the smaller shades, the springs just can't handle the larger shades installed in the 320. We will see what happens when we get the new end pieces installed, but I'm not holding out much hope.

My Montana has 3 that use 51" blinds. I'll have Keystone replace them until they get it right or the warranty runs out. A small one and 2 large have been replaced and the last large is being ordered now. One large on my Cougar was never a problem. MCD changed something. My wife and daughter are designers and at warranty end they can come up with something or a different manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #104
Randyj

I have a 2015 361tg avalanche and ready to trade up to 365mb. We have same issues as others with same model with air conditioning not keeping centre cool. Other then that we have had minor issues that are fixed quickly. Love the model.
1975 Cignet
2005 Prowler 33ft
2007 Springdale 267bhs
2008 Prowler 31bh
2010 Springdale fifth wheel 29 bh
2011 Cougar 322qbs
2015 Avalanche 361tg
Randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #105
trooper253

We have a 2016 361TG and as I posted before we had issues with the Ac in the main area. However after they reworked the ducting and added more vents, it has worked much better. I found a post on here where they replaced the ceiling vents with ones with more gap between the vents that allowed better airflow. I am going to try that as well.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #106
Bash

Avalanche 320RS - About to walk through - advice on what to really look for?

Hello all! I am about ready to dive into a 5er. I have been researching the Avalanche 320RS for 4 months and not one has been available within 300+ miles to walk through until now! Lot's of great advice already discussed on this forum...tank pull levers for Black/Grey mislabeled. Bath sink drains into black tank, some extra wide pull down shades need beefier springs and they break etc. Check slide seals and hydraulic lines and pistons. Will be taking lots of video and audio notes as I inspect the coach. Please chime in on anything else to check. Will let the wife entertain the salesman while they discuss the glitter, bells and whistles. I hope to add some detail for those who already own a 320RS and to those looking at buying one, like myself. I want to report the quality I am seeing. No price discussions here either. Simple.. honest..good and bad.. with pictures and video.. in hopes of informing and improving what is a really nice coach. Plan to own soon!

Bash
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #107
John&Genny

Welcome to the forum Bash! The DW and I really like the 320RS overall. As with all coaches, there are some things that Keystone could have done better such as the MCD shades, AC vents, etc. What I would recommend is to have a PDI checklist along with you as a guideline. Here is a forum thread that links to a good checklist:

PDI Checklist Thread

This is just a general guideline on what to watch for and if you do intend to do a full PDI, give your dealer advance notice so he can allocate the time. Since our dealer was out of town, we stayed overnight at their facility making sure everything worked before we drove off the lot.

As far as price goes, from the reasearh the wife and I did, most dealers have a 30 to 35% markup on RV's they sell. But if you go into a dealership asking for 30% off the MSRP, they would probably show you the door However, I think you should expect to get 20 to 25% off the MSRP. And be sure they show you the actual MSRP sheet from Keystone. One dealer we checked showed us a made up MSRP sheet that didn't reflect a $7000 manufacturers rebate being given to the customer. Needless to say we didn't buy from them.

Anyway, good luck on your 320RS purchase, and let us know if you need anything. There are a few of us 320 owners in here now
Old 08-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #108
Bash

Avalanche 320RS Front Cap turning radius

Our walk through the Avalanche 320RS was awesome. The wife admired all the nice features as I inspected seals, door alignments etc. Once back at the sales office I was told I needed a sliding hitch. I have a new 2017 Ford F-250 Diesel SRW with 5th wheel hitch prep and a new Reese Elite 18K hitch part#30142. Drops right into the puck system.

So I have been under the assumption that the "MAX TURN high-gloss fiberglass front cap and rear with 30% better turning radius" would allow enough turning radius to park this sucker most anywhere without a drastic turning radius required. Do I need to rush return this Reese Elite for a model that has the additional 10" rails? Or is my current Reese Elite hitch just fine as long as I practice backing and use a little common sense? Have had a travel trailer for a few years without any backing issues. And the additional rails adds a hefty price increase.

Thanks for the advice and insight!!!

Bash
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #109
JRTJH
Site Team

The Avalanche has a front cap that's very much the same shape as the Cougar XLite. I have a F250 with a short bed. I also have the Ford "puck system" and use a Curt hitch. I've never even come close to the cab of the truck. I'd suggest if you already have the hitch, rather than buy something you may not need, wait until you take delivery, back the truck under the trailer, then back at an angle until you're close to the cab. Get out and look at the angles and see if you "want more capability". If you do, then buy the hitch, if you don't think you need more, "put 'er in drive and go home".....

I can back at angles I feel are "unhealthy for the tires/axles" and still not come close to the cab, so for me, a sliding hitch would never be used.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #110
reddog7571

It sounds like Texas in teh summer may not be a great idea, right?
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #111
JimJan

Avalanche 345TG Owner

Hello Avalanche owners. The wife and I just upgraded from a 28' Forest River 5th wheel to the 2012 Avalanche 345TG at 38' long.
Sure is a lot more camper. The past owner was very good to the unit as everything looks brand new. The refrigerator was just replaced by the dealer so that is new.
We haul it with our 2011 Chevy 2500HD Diesel. I added air bags as a precaution even though there was still 1-1/2" between the springs and the bump stop when loaded. I have yet to take it to the scales for proper information.

Was wondering about the water tank location, hard to find when I removed the plywood shield to find. Is it behind the axles and the 2 gray and 1 black tanks?
Thanks!
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #112
mouse101uk

2017 Avalanche 365MB

Hi y'all

We got our Avalanche on July 6, have lived in it since. Rather than me detailing everything here I'll give a link to my website where I'm doing a monthly blog. Below the walkthrough video you will find our first 2 months.
http://rv-sure.com/full-time-rv-life

Nick
mouse101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #113
NorskeBob

Stop at Davis truck stop in VA and checked the weight of our Avalanche at the CAT scale:
Steer Axle - 4,900 lbs
Drive Axle - 6,580 lbs
Trailer Axles - 10,500 lbs
Gross weight - 21,980 lbs

My previous trailer/truck weight was 20,180 lbs.
Towing the a the Avalanche has reduced my fuel mileage by 1 mpg. It is a heavier trailer and a higher trailer height.

Full tank of fuel, 1/3 tank of water and other tanks empty. Two adults and a small dog in the cab of the truck. Both Propane tanks full.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #114
Stag126

i am getting avalanche 365mb 2018 model hopefully by end 0f mmonth ordered at rv show in harrisburg pa
Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #115
texas-traveler

Picked up our 2018 320rs Avalanche on 6 Oct. planning on first trip 1 Dec. Have made several small mods. and just sorting out stuff from old rig(2005 cedar creek) and packing only what is needed. that has been a nightmare. added air bags to tv.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #116
NorskeBob

Backup camera system - installed the furrion camera today. Our RV came pre-wired. The power is on all of the time. I checked the 12V fuses and have not found the power source. Has anyone identified the pre-wired power source - 12V fuse panel?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #117
John&Genny

Well now that spring is in the air, and the 320RS is out of storage, the One Year warranty is gone, time for mods! The first mod for this seaon was to replace out the old slider type thermostat with a newer digital model. Took only about a half hour to replace it as it’s basically a direct swap out with the same wire color codes. Next on the list is a set of LCI Solera slide toppers for both the large slides and the bedroom. I’ve looked at installation videos and it doesn’t look too difficult if you have some help. From what I can tell, the fabric railings were pre-installed on the Avalanche so that will help considerably. So what kind of mods will you be doing on your Avalanche?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:54 AM   #118
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post
Backup camera system - installed the furrion camera today. Our RV came pre-wired. The power is on all of the time. I checked the 12V fuses and have not found the power source. Has anyone identified the pre-wired power source - 12V fuse panel?

Try the junction box for the umbilical (7 way) cord.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #119
E Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper253 View Post
We bought a 2017 361TG in August and we love it. The auto level works great. The only issue we have is that the living room/ kitchen area is hard to keep cool in very hot days. This is probably due to the positioning of the A/C units. One is in the rear bedroom and one in the front bedroom. Without one in the living area it doesn't stay as cool as we would like, plus the black color doesn't help. But overall we are very pleased
Hello, I had a 2013 343RS Avalanche. Cooled just fine. I traded that one in for a 2017 Alpine 3660FL and was having same issue of it not being cooled enough in summer though I have two a.c.. I added additional return air grille in living room and added additional vents in living room and kitchen area. I changed out the vents with some I purchased on Amazon. They're less restrictive and directional. Unit is much more comfortable now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_095319.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	15887   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_070505.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	15888  
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #120
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Well now that spring is in the air, and the 320RS is out of storage, the One Year warranty is gone, time for mods! The first mod for this seaon was to replace out the old slider type thermostat with a newer digital model. Took only about a half hour to replace it as it’s basically a direct swap out with the same wire color codes. Next on the list is a set of LCI Solera slide toppers for both the large slides and the bedroom. I’ve looked at installation videos and it doesn’t look too difficult if you have some help. From what I can tell, the fabric railings were pre-installed on the Avalanche so that will help considerably. So what kind of mods will you be doing on your Avalanche?

Looking to replace our thermostat too - which brand/model did you use?

I had the Dometic toppers installed before we took delivery - have white fabric. Black toppers are normally used for color coordination

Just got back from a 2 month stay in Myrtle Beach - no issues with the RV during the stay. Was nice having the large frig.