Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 AM   #1
huhhhhh

Bedroom lights

So I was checking out things in the Fuzion 405 and couldn't get to bedroom lights to come on. All the other lights inside work. The bulbs in the bedroom ceiling pucks work in the other pucks outside the bedroom. There are no tripped breakers or blown fuses.

What's my next step to find the problem.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Look for a wall switch, likely behind a door or in an "out of the way place". It probably won't be on an outside wall, but rather on an inner wall, maybe in the hallway or just inside the bedroom.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
huhhhhh

I've tried every switch I could find. If there is another one it's hidden pretty good.

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Many (maybe even most) ceiling light fixtures have a built in switch. If you tried all the wall switches (with the fixture switch OFF) then the wall switch wouldn't turn the fixture on. Then, if you place the fixture switch in "the other position" (on) and retry all the wall switches, "VOILLA".... It's not like the "duplex switches" at each end of a hallway, where either switch will operate the fixture, rather it's a "master switch" (on the fixture) and a "slave switch" on the wall. If the "master" isn't on, then the entire system is "shut down" no matter how many times you flip the "slave"....

So, try EVERY wall switch you can find, if nothing works, then change the fixture switch to the other position and recheck EVERY wall switch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
canesfan

John, he said they were "pucks". If they are what I think they are, and like mine, they are not a "fixture" with a switch on them. They are only controlled by a switch on the wall. Mine are recessed into the ceiling with only a round glass cover showing. All the ceiling lights in the trailer are that style, only controlled by a wall switch. Not sure if they're the same style or not. My switch for the bedroom is right inside the bedroom door which actually makes sense...for a change. But, I did find a "hidden" switch back after I got this for a "mood" light over the dresser. It was down about a foot off the floor, below a "charging station" on the side of one of the wardrobes. I was piddling around one day and was "oh wow, I never saw that before". So yeah, search high and low. You never know where they might decide to "hide" something.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
huhhhhh

I'll taker another look when I get home this evening.

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
canesfan

Keystone doesn't list a 2012 Fuzion 405. http://www.keystonerv.com/media/3239...ochure2012.pdf

Anyway, look everywhere, up, down, on walls, on dressers, wardrobes, the bed frame, in the bathroom. I know, I know, some sound ridiculous, but...
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhhhhh View Post
I've tried every switch I could find. If there is another one it's hidden pretty good.
Okay here is my question, if you have tried every switch, did you notice that those switches when turned on did something?? If for example you turned on a switch right inside the bedroom door which would be a logical choice and it did nothing, I would remove the cover and see if it had power going to it and out when switched, that is if you fell comfortable working with a meter.

If I recall this rig is new to you, correct? has these lights ever worked?? I ask because if you had been in the rig before you would know where the bedroom main light switch is. Then I would definitely start looking further into that switch. In the event you never tried them therefore do not know where the switch is, I would start opening up the most logical switch near the bedroom door. I know we do not give credit to keystone on locating things in logical places but this one is pretty simple to me and I think Keystone, ie switch near one of the entry doors into the bedroom

If we are talking about bedroom overhead puck lights there would not be individual separate switches on them, is basically one wall switch and in your case feeding 4 or 5 overhead ceiling lights.

In regard to no blown 12V fuses I assume you are referring to no led lights lit in the fuse panel, if I were checking for no power in that 12V fuse area I would use a meter. We have had reports of faulty connections in that panel leading to erratic led indications..

Better than chasing down B/G tanks

ADDED: if it was a fuse I would expect more things to not be working, would not expect 4 or 5 lights only one one circuit but then again
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
I know we do not give credit to keystone on locating things in logical places but this one is pretty simple to me and I think Keystone, ie switch near one of the entry doors into the bedroom
My awning lights are on a switch bank in the hallway, along with two sets of kitchen lights and the hall light itself. The "Porch" light blank on the control panel, where it seems the awning lights might be, is empty. The "main" living area ceiling lights are on the control panel, behind a glass door. You would "think" they would be out in the open, and others would be in more pertinent spots.

I "guess", if you really want to think about it, the awning lights in the hallway might make sense if you want to turn them off just as you are going to bed. And the kitchen lights being in the hallway "might" make sense if you wanted to turn on the lights before you go downstairs to get to the main ceiling lights on the control panel. But then what is the hall light for?

I have yet found time to "rearrange" them.

Oh, most of the switches in the garage are behind the TV. It would have made too much sense to move them, or the TV, over a few inches.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

canesfan, always wondered why that flashlight and holder was near the front door, when its dark you grab the flash and go inside to find the switch(s) to turn the lights on. Got in Now

WHOW our Raptors are really different, then again I still think your Raptor graphics may be "FAKE" you know like FAKE NEWS

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
canesfan

One of the very first things I did after I looked at the switch layout was to buy a small stick on magnetic LED light and mount it right inside the front door. Comes in handy for seeing the light switches behind the TV, too.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
huhhhhh

Ok I will immediately be booking appointments to be slapped, kicked, punched or any other none lethal form of punishment for being a total idiot on this one.

I also have the fuel pump problem with the swelling gears causing that fuse to blow. Sill me thinking the pump had it's own fuse. Went and got another fuse to replace that one and now the lights work. Seems weird they would put the fuel pump on the same fuse as the bedroom lights on the opposite end of the trailer.

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhhhhh View Post
Ok I will immediately be booking appointments to be slapped, kicked, punched or any other none lethal form of punishment for being a total idiot on this one.

I also have the fuel pump problem with the swelling gears causing that fuse to blow. Sill me thinking the pump had it's own fuse. Went and got another fuse to replace that one and now the lights work. Seems weird they would put the fuel pump on the same fuse as the bedroom lights on the opposite end of the trailer.
Good Job !!!!!

Check it off list and move on NEXT ......

Keeps you young

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
canesfan

Hmmm, what's this extra wire says installer #1. Hmmm, not sure says installer #2. Here's a good spot, only one other wire on there.

Glad you got it figured out.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #15
jtrevill

Must be a Raptor thing with the oddly placed switches... I too find it difficult to find my way in the dark. Closest switch to the door is the hallway switch, but my blind reach to the control panel under the TV is getting better and I can usually get it on the 1st or 2nd try now.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #16
limit4

At least you have switch's to look for. 2013 cougar Xlite 26sab, no switch's, All controlled at lights with switch. Not even one at entry door. With that said, We love this 5th wheel and have the home made stick made to reach the lights that are too high.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #17
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
My awning lights are on a switch bank in the hallway, along with two sets of kitchen lights and the hall light itself. The "Porch" light blank on the control panel, where it seems the awning lights might be, is empty. The "main" living area ceiling lights are on the control panel, behind a glass door. You would "think" they would be out in the open, and others would be in more pertinent spots.

I "guess", if you really want to think about it, the awning lights in the hallway might make sense if you want to turn them off just as you are going to bed. And the kitchen lights being in the hallway "might" make sense if you wanted to turn on the lights before you go downstairs to get to the main ceiling lights on the control panel. But then what is the hall light for?

I have yet found time to "rearrange" them.

Oh, most of the switches in the garage are behind the TV. It would have made too much sense to move them, or the TV, over a few inches.
I have a 2014 Cougar and thought it was odd that you’re out at night around the campfire and the sun goes down and you’ve just ran out of beer. So now you need to make your way into the fifth wheel, down the hall to turn on the lights to get to the refrigerator and then reverse the process to go back out.

Also on this model there’s NO light switch in the bedroom, you have to go to each ceiling light and turn it on. Friends of mine could not reach the light to turn them on, dumb design.

Enter the 12 volt relay with remote. I used one one on each of the three lights in the bedroom and one on the ceiling lights in the kitchen and hall. Now I just take the remote in a pocket and can set around the campfire and work the lights. First time at night and my friends thought it was possessed.

And since the LED lights underneath the awning were all twisted around and most of them not working I added a RBGW LED light strip with 3M tape and since the remote was IR I replaced it with a Bluetooth one that I can control with my iPhone. Just be sure to buy the waterproof LED strips.

They have different number of relay sets and I ordered a 15 relay set but USPS lost the package and when they came back into stock the price had doubled, I was just going to control more circuits. Also I’ve ordered two sets of just white LED light strips to use underneath the awning, once I cut off the old ones and those I’ll just use the original wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F69C634-3A00-48C3-9D70-614D59A2BFE7.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	34549   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F7F3747-6EE0-4D09-A136-C96C17B0E92B.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	828.8 KB
ID:	34550   Click image for larger version

Name:	73056313-908C-49FD-A2BC-6D74FC167D54.jpg
Views:	127