Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 11-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
mikec557

Water Pump cycles, but no leak?

When it rains, it pours. While I am mid trouble shooting a water heater issue, this comes along...

We sprang a slow drip from the hot water supply line coming from the water heater to the main T-connection that then feeds hot water everywhere else in the camper (2018/2019 Reflection 29RS). It's no surprise, it's the flex-hose line that goes into the plastic-T. I could go on about why the H3LL they'd use flex hose, but let's skip that for now. I cut out the T and fixed that. There's no drip and it is bone dry to the touch and paper towel test.

After finding the problem and before tackling that fix, we turned the water pressure off and on, and off, and on, outside at the campground spigot until I could get to the problem. That's when we decided we would fill the fresh water tank and use the 12v pump for our water needs because it was easier to turn the water pressure off and on as we needed. That's what brought to light the newest problem.

The water pump burps on for a couple seconds either, every 2 minutes, or every hour or two. You would think a leak would be consistent, but it doesn't seem to be. Regardless, my question is this:

I have visually felt, touched, and paper towel tested every connection, and length of pipe/hose, from the Nautilus-1 to the "T" I repaired, to the connections from there that leads to the toilet, and to the bathroom sink, and the back of the shower control valves (which is where the last leak occurred). I have also tested the kitchen sink faucet down to the floor. I cannot find a leak anywhere.

I think the leak could be somewhere between the T I repaired and where the water lines come up from under the kitchen sink about 5-6 feet away, or at a cold water line that runs to the back of the camper where there is a cold water push-on hose connector. The issue is that all of these areas of concern are unreachable and unseeable, except possibly by removing the entire coroplast from the bottom of the camper. Literally, if I can see it, I have touched it looking for a leak and I can't find a leak anywhere. Yet the water pump cycles. And I am SURE there are connectors hidden under the floor. And worse, I'll bet they are on top of the gray and or black tanks rather than under the tanks where I could get to by removing the coroplast.

Any ideas on what else to check, of methods to check short of removing the coroplast? Any war stories that may help me diagnose this?

Thanks in advance
Mike

2018 GMC 3500HD Z71 SRW SB CC 4WD Duramax/Allison
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch, Pace/Edwards roll top tonneau cover.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

First question that comes to mind is have you used the pump in the recent past? If so, any issues? The pump itself could be bleeding off water back into the pump. Have you checked the hot water tank safety valve? They can often develop a Drip that will bleed of pressure as well.

flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

We had an issue the first few times we dry-camped. Every couple of hours the pump would cycle for 1-2 seconds. Another time wife was giving the munchkin a bath, and I was running water in outside kitchen . When we both stopped using water, the pump would cycle every 5-10 seconds. I shut it down, accessed the pump and found debris in the intake. When we got home I bought and installed an in-line filter screen. We caught a little more debris after that and then nothing since and no pump cycling issues.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You need to make sure ALL the fresh water lines have been bled of air, including the O/S shower. The nautilus system requires that the 4 knobs be set in the proper position to operate the water pump.

I would go through and run every faucet and the toilet to be sure all air is out of the system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If, after you've bled all the air out of the lines, the pump still cycles, I'd consider the pump diaphragm (in the pump head) as the most probable cause. Pressure will "bleed through the pump head" if there's even a single bit of debris in any of the roller cavities. You can take it apart and clean it. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT GOES WHERE !!! or you can buy a new pump (assuming it's a FloJet pump) for around $50. A new pump head is nearly the same price and I'd guess that if the pump has not been regularly used, there's some "dry cracks and loss of flexibility" in the pump diaphragm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If I remember right, Grand design uses ShureFlo.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
mikec557

Flybouy
Bulldog
Chuckster
JR

Thank you to all of you. Those are all great ideas I didn't think of. I'll check each one of them tomorrow.

I would love for this to be a pump related issue instead of in the hidden bowels of the beast.

By the way, we don't use the pump very often. In fact the last time was probably two months ago, and two months again before that. Except for that we're always on hookups.

I'll let you know what I find.

Mike
2018 GMC 3500HD Z71 SRW SB CC 4WD Duramax/Allison
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch, Pace/Edwards roll top tonneau cover.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Good luck and appreciate your reporting back with you're findings as it will help others with the similar issues.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
77cruiser

Did you put the fresh water fill valve back to normal?
Mine if I left the valve to the fill position it would cycle the pump every few minutes.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Hellbilly13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Did you put the fresh water fill valve back to normal?
Mine if I left the valve to the fill position it would cycle the pump every few minutes.
Mine does this as well. It cycles anywhere from every few minutes to a half an hour in the fill position. Not sure why?
Hellbilly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
MJCougler

The pump diaphragm

All of these comments brings up my question:

With no water sitting in the lines and on the pump diaphragm, does this cause long-term damage to the pump diaphragm? Seldom do we use the fresh water holding tank and pump system unless we are in a campground for an extended stay. We keep three heavy duty recycled juice jugs full of water next to the toilet to flush the toilet. That said, with no water sitting in the lines and on the pump diaphragm, does this mean we are causing long-term damage to the pump diaphragm? Yes, chasing water line links while on vacation is a PITA.
mjc
MJCougler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #12
mikec557

Update

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread.

Technically the problem remains unresolved. But the pump cycling has gone from every few minutes to every couple hours or even longer interval.

We were at an RV Park in Peoria AZ when the problem came up. But we were looking for a house to buy in Sun City West at the time and that was very time consuming. We made an offer and began the process and at the same time moved over to Indio CA which had been planned long ago.

Too late to make a long story short... We're still in Indio and the house in AZ closes tomorrow.

The pump burping is infrequent enough that we just keep turning water pressure on and off as we need it. I've decided to buy the replacement pump head rather than a whole new pump. $25 instead of $75, and I'm not sure it's the solution to the problem but it's a place to start.

Need to make a run, without the rv, to Texas to get what little we kept when we sold our last house a year and a half ago. That will probably push the pump repair into early December.

I'll report back at that time.

Thank you for all suggestions and info.

Mike

Tags
leak, water, water pump