Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
MarkEHansen

For those that like to use check lists, check lists are great! Those that don't just won't get it. That's okay.

I'm a pilot and check list use comes second nature to me. I create my own, based on experience and they really help me to not worry about missing something.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

I make individualized checklists for every trip we take. I keep a folder called trip info then another labeled "current" trip. I place the primary checklist in the current trip folder about 3 weeks prior to leaving and visit it every day or so and start loading up the trailer. The list is segregated into truck items, food items, clothes etc. I always have my fishing gear on the list but some trips I don't take it. I have a separate list for all the reservations I've made, printed confirmations, directions, phone numbers etc. I have yet another list with all my various memberships; different insurance policies/policy numbers/contact info; Good Sam, Passport America, etc. We then have a little packet of all the associated cards that go with all those memberships.

I am comfortable with lists and have always used them. DW does not make them but insists I do in the event anything ever happened to me she would have some idea of what to do, take etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

I am comfortable with lists and have always used them. DW does not make them but insists I do in the event anything ever happened to me she would have some idea of what to do, take etc.
I hadn’t considered the benefit of having a checklist and all of the important info handy for my wife to use if I became incapacitated. This is a good idea.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #24
AbHDToyHauler

We took ours 5 miles South of city to where some friends full time in the summer and rented a site across from them for 3 days so we could test everything and listen to their advice on what everthing did and didn't do. We had an enjoyable weekend away and were still close enough to go get things we forgot (didn't need to) and tools (didn't need any) and booze. Took plenty. HAHAHA Then the next trip was a few hours from home and then were ready for wherever . Has been great fun. Enjoy your first road trip.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #25
Peacemkr53

Bought the Cougar 315RLS in November. Sat on dealership lot until mid Feb. Mom working in TN, I had to have surgery.... so maiden voyage was from Indy to Newport TN. Leaking sink in Kitchen and Vac breaker on black tank flush REALLY gave us excess water. Such is the shake down voyage. I was able to fix after consulting my dealership. Figured temps would not be a big issue. Mother Nature had other ideas. Buy a heated hose. And check to be sure you can plug it into the rig. Heated underbelly worked so we never had a freeze. But the supply hose froze at 28 degrees F. Hook'em up and GO!!!!
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #26
crk112

Another pilot here, and I wouldn't dream of hauling the TT without consulting my checklist (three in my case!)

I'm a spreadsheets and checklists sort of person by nature, but not everybody is. I find that if I follow a checklist I'm much more likely to be consistent and much less likely to forget something that I really shouldn't forget. Less stress on that front makes for a happier tow experience.

What wound up working best for me is the Notes app on my iPhone/iPad... you can actually insert checkboxes into the note which you can tick off as you go. My Notes are synced through iCloud so I can make changes or mark items off my checklist from either device.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #27
Laredo Tugger

OK
First time posting a picture.
If it comes through, it is the inside of my pass through compartment door (passenger side) after it is lifted and held open by the magnets. I used a label maker and broke down the inventory into things that get loaded mostly together. Some items never leave the trailer,but a majority does.
I got tired of getting into a fight with the DW after arriving at a campsite and she ask where are my beach chairs,small ice chest,umbrella ect...and they didn't get loaded.
I did realize after it was completed that I forgot the two most important things,beer and my golf clubs.
RMc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_151742.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	20981  
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #28
Sandals 123

Thanks for posting ideas, I tend to be a list guy.... But because I am so new... I don't even know what I don't even know... That is why the App is a good starting point. I am sure that I will replace it once I get out and try out this whole RV thing.
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:48 AM   #29
E Rod

You'll be ok. Don't allow fear to take away your joy. I pull a 40 5er. Little tense at times but i conquer that with the joy of reminding myself, I'm in no hurry to get to my destination. Make the best of the situation when it arises. Take your time, drive safe.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #30
Sandals 123

My dealership (Greg's RV) is so awesome that we have booked a second walk through with them so that we can refresh ourselves with our new unit. We bought it a couple of months ago but they agreed to store it on their lot until it was time to take it out!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #31
Laredo Tugger

What??
That's great service. Sounds like a dealership that understands customer service. You might consider a couple of gift cards from a local sandwich shop/restaurant (Subway comes to mind) for the service tech that assist you and his manager. If you call with questions or take the trailer in for service they will remember you,in a good way.
RMc
Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #32
Sandals 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
What??
That's great service. Sounds like a dealership that understands customer service. You might consider a couple of gift cards from a local sandwich shop/restaurant (Subway comes to mind) for the service tech that assist you and his manager. If you call with questions or take the trailer in for service they will remember you,in a good way.
RMc
What a fantastic idea!! So far they have been amazing to deal with and, as you say, it will be good if they remember me when I call in or stop by with an issue.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #33
jimborokz

When I picked up our first fiver I had to tow it through the city of Albany to get it home. First time towing a 5th wheel, had towed TT's and pop ups before.
That was in the spring. Camped in the back yard off and on all summer to learn how everything works. Then in the fall we headed south. Maiden voyage was 1000 mi. which included passing through Atlanta at 4PM on a Friday. Trial by fire and "white knucked" it through. Since then it's been pretty easy and less stressing.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #34
ADQ K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
OK
First time posting a picture.
If it comes through, it is the inside of my pass through compartment door (passenger side) after it is lifted and held open by the magnets. I used a label maker and broke down the inventory into things that get loaded mostly together. Some items never leave the trailer,but a majority does.
I got tired of getting into a fight with the DW after arriving at a campsite and she ask where are my beach chairs,small ice chest,umbrella ect...and they didn't get loaded.
I did realize after it was completed that I forgot the two most important things,beer and my golf clubs.
RMc
This is a really good idea I like it, everything in its place. A lot if items in my pass through compartment are kept in totes but this will still help
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
Laredo Tugger

I used a Sharpie to draw the vertical lines and boxes. If you want to make changes, the "permanent" marker can be erased by spraying it with brake cleaner and wiping it off with a rag.
RMc
Old 03-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #36
skmct

Don't forget to lock the freezer door we lost a gallon of chocolate ice cream once . I was looking forward to it after a long days drive. We like to stop at the first rest stop and check the inside of the rig . I always do a rewalk around after each stop before getting back in the truck. Relax take your time . There's no reason to rush you have your bed Johnny and lunch right behind you
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote