Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #51
lhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Don't know if the Big Texan Steakhouse is on our agenda. But maybe. For sure I won't be ordering the "6lb Big Texan". Probably wouldn't order the prime rib either. Lol.
The BBQ entrees there are first rate, and the decor is worth some photography, especially the waitstaff costumes.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Chris, I worked for quite a while writing you a detailed route based on my thoughts but apparently the site is having some sort of hiccups. It lost it along with my ability to respond to anything for several minutes. I will recompose in the AM.DW told me I need to get off here and make a corn salad......

sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #53
Canonman

Just a suggestion if you have or can justify an extra day, Mesa Verdi is mostly surrounded by the Ute Mountain Tribal Park. Absolutely one of the most interesting tours I've ever taken. National Geographic did an article on the park: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...park-traveler/
You'll see what Mesa Verdi looked like when the Wetherill brothers found it. Mesa Verdi is a "Must See" The Ute Mountain Tribal Park is a "DEFINITE must see".
Pottery shards, old corn cobs, pieces of sandals all left in place with no reconstruction or sanitization. Ask if Rick is still guiding the tours. So much real Indian history, religion and mysticism. You really don't want to miss this off the beaten path tour.
BTW, Hovenweep Natl Monument is close by too if unique Native American Indian culture interests you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5082.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	20783   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5310.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	20784   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5025.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	20785   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	20786  
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #54
notanlines

Chris, we also recommend the more southerly route out of Amarillo. And we also recommend The Big Texan in a big way. The steaks are very good, and it is fun just reading about the various people who have succeeded in one, two, even three of the meals in the allotted time. Four years ago we came through the last of April and the waiter told us of the woman who had eaten three the week before and broke all their records. We were certain he was handing us a line trying to get one of us to give it a try. I found this on Google when we returned home a few weeks later: https://kfor.com/2015/04/23/watch-wo...-minutes-flat/
2017 Mobile Suites
21K Demco auto-slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I'm in need of suggestions for the return leg of our southwest travels. After a quick visit to the Four Corners Monument and up to the Canyons of the Ancient National Monument, our last national park destination will be Mesa Verde NP. From here, we begin our long journey home to Michigan. I'm trying to avoid the northern trek on I-70 as we're coming back around April 20th. Weather is so unpredictable.

What options along Colorado's southern border or northern NM will make our commute home uneventful? From Mesa Verde, Google routes me on east US160 until joining I-25.

Towing the camper down to I-40 is also an viable but it adds a ton a miles.

Suggestions from anyone who knows the landscape is greatly appreciated.

I'll try this again. Probably not as long since I have to leave in a few minutes to take puppy to the vet.

I wouldn't consider 160 at the date you're planning. 160 crosses Wolf Creek Pass. I've driven that route countless times and there can be snow there in July. I took my grandgirls up there in mid June one year with a picture of them standing at the pass sign in knee deep snow - also watched a guy coming down from the pass on the twisty highway lose control and just run into the rock side of the mountain due to the slickness.

I'm thinking from Mesa Verde take 160 thru Durango to 550 S. Take that to Bloomfield then 64 E to Chama. At Chama you will will be in the mountains and then have to cross them to get to Antonito on 17. Take 285 N to Alamosa then you can either go N on 17 until you reconnect with 285, go W on 285/160 and continue on 285 or go E on 160 until you connect to I25. 285 in the other routes will eventually get you to I70 to Denver and the I76 on E - I25 will do the same.

Remember this can be some very treacherous country in the winter time and you will still be going thru mountains of varying degrees but nothing like 160 would be. You would do well to watch the weather real time and see what's going on in the event you need to reroute. As a last alternative I would just go S on 550 to Farmington then on to 371 and go to I40. I will note that there is a very neat steam locomotive trip from Chama to Antonito that has some beautiful views if you are able to go that way and have time. Good luck and safe travels.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #56
busterbrown

Thanks again Steve, Danny, and Jim. I'll definitely keep an eye on the I-70 corridor. If nothing threatening mid April, this will be our first choice. I will heed everyone's advice and stay clear away from 160. If the weather is against us, we'll travel south via 491 or 371 to connect to I-40. Better safe than sorry.

Brian, our itinerary for the last week is very open. We'll be in the Mesa Verde area for a couple of days. The tours for the Ute Mountain Tribal Park start in April so it may work for us. Seems as if you've already done much of what we're currently chasing. If you don't min, I may PM you (as we go north from Arizona into UT) for additional suggestions and helpful insights. I'm excited as always to plan.

With all the chatter about this Big Texan, I think we'll most definitely have to pay a visit for an early dinner.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #57
busterbrown

BTW, this just came up in my new feed....

I showed my wife it and told her don't worry, that was a "once in a century" Texas wind storm. Right? lol

Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is online now   Reply With Quote