Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Rber1234

Tpms

Just curious what brand or make does everyone one use for their TPMS. Seems all the cheaper models aren’t for TT’s and you need to spend $200 or more to get one that will work.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
Just curious what brand or make does everyone one use for their TPMS. Seems all the cheaper models aren’t for TT’s and you need to spend $200 or more to get one that will work.
TST507, works great, no booster needed & user replaceable batteries.
You can buy cheaper, but you know the saying, "you get what you pay for"!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
TST507, works great, no booster needed & user replaceable batteries.
You can buy cheaper, but you know the saying, "you get what you pay for"!
Second that. Ours came with a booster, but we haven't needed it. We have an Outback 272UFL which is about 30' overall but the receiver seems to pick up the sensors just fine.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
xrated

I bought and have been using the TireMinder Smart TPMS system for the past two years. I recently bought a different Toy Hauler and two more sensors, since the new one is a triple axle and I now will monitor 6 tires instead of 4. No worries though, the TireMinder will monitor up to 22 transmitters. The big advantage for me is that the Smart TPMS does not have a dedicated monitor for putting on the dash/windshield of your truck....you use a phone app. The booster is mounted on the front of the trailer, and the Bluetooth adapter is suction cup mounted in the rear window of the truck and can either run on rechargeable lithium batteries, or plugged into a USB port. The B.T. adaptor also has a beeping alert built into it, just in case you want to open your phone app for monitoring, but let the phone go into sleep mode....you will still an alert. If you do, just wake up the phone and look to see what is going on. Lot's of good ones out there, it's just of matter of preference sometimes.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
Retired Copper

TST 507 works great and great customer service. I had a problem setting it up the first time, my fault, called the 800 number and they called right back and walked me through my setup mistake.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
the sodfather

The TST 507 works great for me. If I were buying again, I’d buy the same thing. I did get the flow-through sensors...I’d save a few bucks and just get the caps...
Old 03-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
The TST 507 works great for me. If I were buying again, I’d buy the same thing. I did get the flow-through sensors...I’d save a few bucks and just get the caps...
With a dually truck the flo-thru sensors don't fit well on the rears, so save $$ & get the caps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Rber1234

Thanks to all responding on the TPMS systems they use. After researching systems listed I decided to go with the TST-507 with color display. Again thanks to all for your help.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rber1234 View Post
Thanks to all responding on the TPMS systems they use. After researching systems listed I decided to go with the TST-507 with color display. Again thanks to all for your help.
Good choice IMO. Having the separate display that is on all the time gives me peace of mind that I haven't missed an alert because my phone has gone dead (which it does when I forget to charge it!) Also, the DW has the job of tire minder-minder while she knits bunnies for charity ... and navigates, and feeds me, and ...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
CWtheMan

TPMS & OEM RV Trailer Tires

This is about the reason I hardly ever comment on TPMS for RV trailers.

What is the correct cold tire inflation pressure for your OEM tires?

What is the maximum permissible inflation pressure – found on the tire sidewall - for your OEM tires?

If both are the same, where do you set the low pressure warning alarm?

If you’re setting a low pressure warning alarm below the recommended cold inflation pressure in the above situation you’re actually accepting an under inflation condition for your tires that could cause early failures.

It’s probably the primary reason your trailer didn’t come equipped with TPMS.

RV trailer tires, even though governed by the same FMVSS (standards), differ in minimum load capacity requirements. Automotive tires all have load capacity reserves. The factory TPMS low pressure warnings are set at a PSI value above where a tire overload would start. There is no such load capacity reserves with RV trailer tires unless the trailer manufacturer has provided them. In the past, very few have done so and recommended cold inflation pressures for vehicles with no, or very little load capacity reserves are critical.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
daveinaz

Went with the Bellacorp sensors -- 10 pack. Came preprogrammed for our dually and 5er. I haven't put many miles on with it yet, but so far so good -- it sends the signal from our 40' 3400RL up to our Ram 3500 just fine. I didn't need all the extras that TST comes with such as being able to program multiple trailers. I just need the one and this does that. Plus I like how when you aren't pulling the trailer, it's just a push of a button (well, two buttons -- hold one and push the other) to link/unlink the trailer from the monitor.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
busterbrown

Eez RV TPMS has worked great for us for the last 3 seasons. Alerted us last year of a low pressure event on the rear drivers side trailer tire. By the time I stopped on the interstate, pressure had dropped to about 45 PSI...down from 80. 15 minute reset with the spare and we were on our way. Picked up a screw in the middle of the tread.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

As far as the low pressure alarm, I want to know when my tire is losing air. The TPMS I'm using (EezTire TPMS) will detect a decrease in pressure and notify me. I also set the lower pressure alarm as recommended by the TPMS manufacture, but I check the pressure before I go on a trip and watch them along the way - so really the one alarm is enough.

As for the high pressure alarm, I also set it according to the TPMS manufacturer's recommendation.

I don't see this as a problem, so I think I'm missing your point.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
As far as the low pressure alarm, I want to know when my tire is losing air. The TPMS I'm using (EezTire TPMS) will detect a decrease in pressure and notify me. I also set the lower pressure alarm as recommended by the TPMS manufacture, but I check the pressure before I go on a trip and watch them along the way - so really the one alarm is enough.

As for the high pressure alarm, I also set it according to the TPMS manufacturer's recommendation.

I don't see this as a problem, so I think I'm missing your point. RV trailers are notorious for having unequal axle weights. The most damaging imbalance condition is when one wheel position is heavy to the point of overloading the tire. It cannot afford to lose even a few pounds of inflation pressure. Thus, vehicle manufacturer maximum cold inflation pressures recommendations, ALL the time.
Is your TPMS manufacturer's recommendations for automotive industry vehicles? Do they mention usage for RV trailers? As I mentioned earlier, RV trailer tires have different load capacity standards.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
MarkEHansen

Yes, they say their TPMS supports RVs.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
CWtheMan

Now maybe some can see why I avoid TPMS topics when being used with RV trailer tire fitments. Inflation pressures are and always will be critical for RV trailers. It's not just the ST tires. It's all tire designs used on RV trailers.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #17
ChuckS

TPMS systems are a good item if you can afford one. Set low alarm 5 to 10 psi below cold max inflation pressure on the tire. Set high pressure as recommend by TST or other makers.

Keep in mind the side that is getting the sun will always be about 10 degrees higher and inflation will be higher than side in the shade.

Been running TST in my fifth wheel going on six seasons now and I would not be without it.

An infrared gun is nice also but tells me nothing about temps and pressures while rolling down the road.

RV manufactures don’t install them because they are too cheap. YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
TPMS systems are a good item if you can afford one. Set low alarm 5 to 10 psi below cold max inflation pressure on the tire. Set high pressure as recommend by TST or other makers.

Keep in mind the side that is getting the sun will always be about 10 degrees higher and inflation will be higher than side in the shade.

Been running TST in my fifth wheel going on six seasons now and I would not be without it.

An infrared gun is nice also but tells me nothing about temps and pressures while rolling down the road.

RV manufactures don’t install them because they are too cheap. YMMV

I totally agree with your assessment. Before we left on our way coming home I got out the compressor and just grabbed "a" pressure gauge out of my glove box. I had to replace a bad (stuck) schrader valve and lost some air. Ran the tire up to 80 psi and put on the tpms sensonrs. Turned the tpms receiver on and let it sync. When all the sensors were in it immediately alarmed and I found that the tire I had just aired up only had 73 psi. Upon reflection, I remembered I was going to throw that gauge away because it wasn't any good and forgot. I would have just driven off thinking I was inflated when I wasn't if not for the alarm. Also learned that being lazy and not getting my good, fancy gauge out from under the back seat could have cost me...lesson learned.

I would have never thought that having the tpms would have given me so much peace of mind because I had towed for decades without one. Now, I'm not worrying about tires leaking air or blowing and me not know. I look at the monitor and it tells me...constantly. Don't leave home without it...or the EMS.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Keep in mind the side that is getting the sun will always be about 10 degrees higher and inflation will be higher than side in the shade. Look at it as cold and colder.

RV manufactures don’t install them because they are too cheap. You have to look at it from their point of view. How could they, on the one hand, set your recommended cold inflation pressures to tire sidewall pressures and then on the other hand say it's okay to set your TMPS to something lower?

YMMV
Okay, time to do some math. Let’s do your situation first.

I’m using 2018 specs for your trailer. If it was not delivered with the ones I’m using I’ll just call them hypothetical (OK?).

The vehicle certified axles on your trailer should be 3000# GAWR ea. The OEM tires should have been ST205/75R14 LRC rated at 1760# at a cold inflation pressure of 50 PSI. They are a tad over the RVIA recommendation for 10% excessive load capacity reserves. At 40 PSI, the low TPMS warning signal setting, they would be providing 1530# of load capacity. That is just 30# above the GAWR axle’s minimum requirement. Also at 40 PSI another tire industry warning takes place. “Any tire found 20 % below vehicle manufacturer’s cold inflation pressure recommendations is considered to be in a RUN FLAT condition”

Now let’s go back a few years and look as the way almost all RV trailer builders have selected their OEM tires in the past. I’m using another Keystone product here. It’s the 2012 Bullet 284RLS. It came with 2 3500@ GAWR axles fitted with ST205/75R14 LRC tires. They provided a total of 20# of load capacity reserves per axle at the maximum permissible inflation pressure. I hope you can see the problem involved in setting a low pressure warning on any TPMS for tires that do not have load capacity reserves.

The reserves for RV trailer tires fitted to RV trailers has not changed, it’s still in the regulations and can be set that way by the trailer builder if or when they deem it appropriate.

Tire inflation pressures for RV trailer tires are critical. Please don’t use your TPMS (systems) for low inflation pressure warnings. Inflate to cold recommended inflation pressures every time you move the trailer.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #20
MarkEHansen

You can set your low pressure warning to any value you want (speaking of the EezTire TPMS I have), so you can get whatever works for you. I don't use the TPMS only for the low pressure alarm. I can also see the pressures/temperatures as I go down the road.

My TPMS also alarms when it notices a loss of pressure (as in slow or not so slow leak).

If all you're saying is you don't like the low pressure alarm, then don't use it. My system suits me just fine.

Thanks,