Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
pedalsteelpicker

Heat pump on Alpine

I own a 2013 Alpine 3700RE with heat pump.I use my trailer all the time even when at home and have been going thru a lot of propane by using just the gas furnace so I thought I would give the heat pump a try and was amazed!(I never had a heat pump even for my house)I know my electric bill will be going up but am thinking about in the future of bringing the trailer up to temp with the furnace and then switch over to the heat pump.Does anybody else do this?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
outwest

That's what we've always done, except on really cold nights, with old Avion trailer that has a heat strip in air unit. While the heat pump does work differently, the principle is still the same.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
mikell

Were fulltiming with an Alpine in Michigan and don't hardly use any propane. Heat pump works great down to about 30 give or take depending on the humidity. When it gets cold you will hear it defrost it's kinda loud but works well. It's a steady heat slow but sure.

Set it on AUTO and the furnace will kick in if it's too cold for the heat pump
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
pedalsteelpicker

Thanks Mikell, where bouts in Michigan?I was born and raised in Davison (east of Flint)I also own a House I rent out on Lake Ogemaw.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
mikell

From Frankenmuth spent most of my life working for GM in Flint till it left . Now on the west side St Joe area.

Once you get the hang of the heat pump you'll nrver go without. We have an electric fireplace and an oil filled radiator type heater in the basement. Great combination.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
rbjsaylo

Love the Heat Pump

We have a 2011 Alpine 3500RE and love the heat pump feature. We find that the furnace tends to heat up a little too much too fast (especially in the bedroom), but the Heat Pump works great for taking the chill off. Especially on those cool spring Montana mornings.
MorRyde King Pin
rbjsaylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
CRUZIN 2

Smile Heat pump

We have a Alpine 3535RE 2013 and has the heat pump, and works great for us, we are in the RGV so it don't get to cold.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
mikell

Last night down to 28 and it kept it at 70. About once every 2 hours it would cycle to defrost. we have a oil filled heater in the living room on medium and the fireplace was off. The only thing people might not like is it's not as fast to recover as the furnace if you turn it down but if you want a steady temp it's wonderful