Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
dunnnc

Power Awning Tie Down Poles

Wanting to tie down our power awning so we could use our sun shade without putting a load on the flimsy arms, I came up with a set of poles that attach to the awning arms. Those of you who got the dwg, I wish you the best in duplicating them. Have fun!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Branky

What a great design and idea.
I live on the West Coast of Canada and we get some nasty rain and winds late in the camoping season.
This would be great around here.
Thanks for sharing!
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
randy69

Looks good out in the high desert wind comes up at 2:00 pm everyday I want to make some

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Mighty Ming

Nice you need to patent those bad boys!!! Then sell it to Keystone etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Rowdy51

Excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08 White Diamond Avalanche LTZ
11 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ, Duramax
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
camper 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Wanting to tie down our power awning so we could use our sun shade without putting a load on the flimsy arms, I came up with these. I have a dwg of the parts if anyone is interested in making a set. The wind doesn't bother the awning now, We were in FL in Jul and had 3 days and nights with constant rain & winds from 10-25 mph and the material fluttered a little, but the tube and arms did not move. PM me for more details.
When you have the awning out, what type of adjustment to the height of the support polls do you have? I am looking to get started on making a set.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
dunnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
When you have the awning out, what type of adjustment to the height of the support polls do you have? I am looking to get started on making a set.
From 6.5' to 9.5'
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
richf28

I like the idea. If I could get more info I would appreciate it. Lost two awning arms last year while in Florida with surprise wind gusts. Like to prevent that this year when I go down.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Brantlaker

Thumbs up Tie Down Poles

Hope to install mine this afternoon.Good to see that you moved over to this Forum it has a lot more info than RV Forum for Keystone RV's

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
dunnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
Hope to install mine this afternoon.Good to see that you moved over to this Forum it has a lot more info than RV Forum for Keystone RV's
Did you get them installed? Have any problems?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Brantlaker

Tie Down Poles

Yes and they work good. Thanks

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Little Guy

What a great set-up. Thanks for sharing.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Jabber2Jake

Smile More to deal with

This seems like a good idea. But, the awning has an auto dump during rain feature that is defeated by this "upgrade". The poles prevent either side from moving down to dump rain. Also, in a strong wind, the awning should be retracted to avoid tearing, not permanently propped up. Just my two cents. But, hey, if it works for you, that's great!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #14
dunnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post
This seems like a good idea. But, the awning has an auto dump during rain feature that is defeated by this "upgrade". The poles prevent either side from moving down to dump rain. Also, in a strong wind, the awning should be retracted to avoid tearing, not permanently propped up. Just my two cents. But, hey, if it works for you, that's great!
Having had a power awning now for 5 yrs, the 'auto dump' feature is a hit & miss and more often than not it is a miss. These poles allow the awning to be tilted as they are adjustable and as such, there is no need for the useless 'auto dump' We had the awning out for 3 days and nights of high winds and constant rain in FL in Jul and nothing moved other than the material fluttered a little. The poles also allow the use of a sun shade curtain without putting a load on the flimsy arms and gas struts.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Jabber2Jake

note taken.

Your opinion of the "auto dump" is "your" opinion. But, my experience with it is....it works! There are knobs to tighten down and hold the electric awning in a stable state. A strap to the ground will keep it from flying up in a strong wind. What more do we need? Personally, I don't use anything. I don't want a strap to hold down things so my awning tears up in a storm. I don't want to turn my knobs so it is stable. I want to be able to hear a strong wind inside my trailer and be able to simply push a button and retract my awning in a flash. That's why we have an electric awning. Pull it in when we need to if things get messy. I hope I don't get kicked off this forum for not being nice and making super kind comments about all the "improvements" people make, but....this seems like a silly modification.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Jabber2JaKe -
No one is about to "kick you off the forum" for your disagreement with the modifications that another member has made to his awning. Obviously, you do not think it is necessary but the tie down poles work for that member.
However, to describe another member's modification as being "silly" is inappropriate.
For him, it is an improvement and that's all that matters.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Jabber2Jake

I like your truck!

Festus2....I like your truck. And I respect all opinions. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
dunnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber2Jake View Post
Your opinion of the "auto dump" is "your" opinion. But, my experience with it is....it works! There are knobs to tighten down and hold the electric awning in a stable state. A strap to the ground will keep it from flying up in a strong wind. What more do we need? Personally, I don't use anything. I don't want a strap to hold down things so my awning tears up in a storm. I don't want to turn my knobs so it is stable. I want to be able to hear a strong wind inside my trailer and be able to simply push a button and retract my awning in a flash. That's why we have an electric awning. Pull it in when we need to if things get messy. I hope I don't get kicked off this forum for not being nice and making super kind comments about all the "improvements" people make, but....this seems like a silly modification.
If you have a strap to the ground, it is no different than what I do, we both have to disconnect the straps and both will retract the same. The poles swing back into the stow position automatically.

As for the auto dump, we ended up with a bowed tube when it didn't work a couple of times on our 08 trailer and had to take it off and straighten it which is a 2 person, 4 hr job and not a lot of fun. After that, I just don't take the chance. I tilt the awning with the poles, leave the adjustable arms loose, tie it down and don't worry about it unless they are forecasting winds in excess of 20 mph and then we pull it in as well as the living room slide.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #19
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
. After that, I just don't take the chance. I tilt the awning with the poles, leave the adjustable arms loose, tie it down and don't worry about it unless they are forecasting winds in excess of 20 mph and then we pull it in as well as the living room slide.
why do you do this. I like your mods with poles. I have straooed my qwnign down once or twice but not like yours. I like the carport idea of poles. Thats the way I have set up my manual awning in the past. BUT living room comment got me thinking??
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #20
dunnnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
why do you do this. I like your mods with poles. I have straooed my qwnign down once or twice but not like yours. I like the carport idea of poles. Thats the way I have set up my manual awning in the past. BUT living room comment got me thinking??
randy
We pull the lr slide in to keep the slide awning from flapping as it is extremely noisy. We've only had to do it a couple of times in 5 yrs.
Closed Thread