Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
raptor400

20k reese

good morning everyone first time poster with a few ? I have looked around the site but did not find anything. we have had our 5 w toyhauler for almost a year and have used it maybe 10 times but last week we started having problems getting the pin to come out of the hitch .It takes two people now one to drive and one to pull the lever just a little bit more .it is a 20k reese and it has been greased cleaned kept in doors when not in use. there is no adjustments that we can see. It is still under warranty the dealer has looked at it and talked to reese they said it was normal under some condishions but it just started and it is not our first time .It does it at the lake on uneven ground and in the driveway.Thank you in advance for any help
raptor400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
randy69

Reese hitch

We have the same hitch. And yes it has stuck on me also, What I do is move my truck forward and backward a little. Then I can disengage the Reese lock handle.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

raptor400, Welcome to the forum. I have had my 16K Reese for 18 years with only cleaning and greasing for maintenance. I have had the problem you describe only a few times and all of them were on uneven ground or if I had the trailer too high with pin rubbing against the bottom of the jaws.
With this said I would have to agree with Reese and dealer that this is sometimes normal. I usually raise my trailer to where I can see just a hint of daylight between the plates with all front to back load off the pin before unlatching the jaws and have a smooth disconnect. (unless on uneven ground) It is possible your hitch needs a little break in to work more smoothly. (Been a long time since mine was new so I don't remember.) It is a good reliable hitch and almost bulletproof so I would give it a chance. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
christopherglenn

Try putting the trailer where you want it, chocking the tires, back up a fraction on an inch to press the kingpin against the front of the hitch (and set the brake before getting it out of gear), lower the gear and lift the trailer - not off the hitch, just until the trucks suspension starts to unload, THEN pull the handle and see if it locks open.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
raptor400

I will try all your suggestions thanx but it seems funny that it just started doing it and most of the time I go to the lake early by my self so my dw & the dogs gets there favorite spot to fish & swim 20' from the door
raptor400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherglenn View Post
Try putting the trailer where you want it, chocking the tires, back up a fraction on an inch to press the kingpin against the front of the hitch (and set the brake before getting it out of gear), lower the gear and lift the trailer - not off the hitch, just until the trucks suspension starts to unload, THEN pull the handle and see if it locks open.
I do the above +hold the trailer break as I pull away. Just dont drive away with the wire still connected.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote