Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
turbodog

Avalanche Improvements

I would like to take this opportunity to provide some input or possibly some insight to Keystone regarding my Avalanche 290RL. This may be egotistical on my part to suggest I know more than the company that manufactured my Avalanche, but here goes.

I purchased my Avalanche 290RL in April. It is a 2011 unit that sat on the lot of another dealer for approximately 10 months prior to my purchase. First let me say that I am very happy with the Avalanche and really do not have any real complaints. I had an issue with the flooring being soft and squeaking in the rear of the unit but this was fixed under warranty with a couple of braces and it appears to be corrected at this time.

Here are my suggestions. Once again this is not meant to be a complaint, and I can live with all of these issues.

1. Camping World gave me slide toppers for all three slides on the Avalanche, along with installation. I was told that the topper for the slide (kitchen, refrigeration, television) cannot be added due to the placement of the awning. It would seem that Keystone would have allowed enough space between the slide and awning to put a slide topper on since the majority of fifth wheels have this accessory. I must admit I do like the size of the awning and this was a factor in not buying a Cougar. The awning on the Cougar is very small.

2. The Avalanche has a switch on the inside of the unit to turn the hot water on using propane, but does not have on to turn the hot water on or off for electric use. I could do this with my Cougar and Freedom Light, but not in a much more expensive unit as the Avalanche. I always have to go outside and flip the switch on the hot water heater on and off. I do not want to hook to the electric with the possibility of not having water in the hot water heater and the having the switch in the on position. An element would be gone in heartbeat. Seems like a simple thing to do to have a switch inside that controls the electric to the hot water heater.

3. To my knowledge all 5th. wheel hitches hook up and release from the passenger side of the truck. Why is the front landing gear switch on the opposite side of the Avalanche? It seems logical to have it on the same side as the mechanism that you use on the hitch to hook and release instead of having to walk around the truck to move the landing gear up or down. I have to admit I got very spoiled using the remote on the Cougar 276 I just got rid of for the Avalanche. A very convenient feature and I already miss it.

4. Spend a few dollars and add a plug in the kitchen vent to add a fantastic fan. It was an option on the Avalanche for 2011, but mine did not come with it and I am adding it. The fan in the kitchen is very convenient and certainly helps to vent hot air out of the unit when first setting up, and when I do something dumb in the kitchen and set off the smoke detector. The fan will clear the air quickly and is much appreciated when this happens.

5. Finally, add a battery cut off switch.

I am sure your first thought after reading this is for me to have bought an Alpine instead of an Avalanche and you may be correct. However, I am very satisfied with the Avalanche 290RL, but just shoot me, the wife has seen an Avalanche 343, and guess what? Not going to happen. Retirement in 252 days. Anyway I doubt if the F250 would tow it well. Too much hitch weight.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to using the Avalanche for many years to come.
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Thanks for the informative post....

About the hitch, my hitch controls (handles) are on the driver side, the same side as the switch for the legs.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Good thoughts, however you might be better served by sending your observations and suggestions directly to Keystone. We're all Keystone owners or fans here, but Keystone itself is the only place that can actually do anything with those wonderful ideas.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
Roberson4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Thanks for the informative post....

About the hitch, my hitch controls (handles) are on the driver side, the same side as the switch for the legs.

Ron W.
I think 'drivers side' is what he was thinking as regards to the 5th wheel hitch controls. However on the Avalanche the landing gear controls are on the passenger side.
It's a pita sometimes, when you don't get it just right and have to make a couple trips around the tv to get the height right.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
geo

X2 in agreement with Steve. We are all Keystone owners, mostly present owners and a few past. There has been some Forum debate in the past as to whether Keystone monitors the Forum or not. Several of us, including me, have asked Keystone Customer Service if they read the Forum or even having a representative on the Forum. To date, all we have learned is that Keystone is aware the Forum exists, but that is all.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
turbodog

If you look at the Keystone web site there is not an e-mail address to send anything to. So, I took a chance that maybe they actually read this material to see what people who own a Keystone actually thought of them. I guess I am wrong about that. Seems like a no-brainer to me that they read and monitor this.
turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
geo

Turbodog -

Well, with the risk of starting the "Bashing Wars", you're right - no-brainer. There's actually a couple of ways to get a real email address, for Robyne in Keystone Customer Service. One is to put some of your information on the Web Request form on Keystone's Customer Service Webpage. Robyne will probably send you an email within 24 - 48 hours. Then send the rest. The other way is to send me a PM and ask, and I'll PM it back to you.

As one of many who have sent "suggestions", let me encourage you not to build your hopes up too high that Keystone will listen. That said, "hope does spring eternal", so you could be the first one Keystone will "hear".

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Turbodog -

Well, with the risk of starting the "Bashing Wars", you're right - no-brainer. There's actually a couple of ways to get a real email address, for Robyne in Keystone Customer Service. One is to put some of your information on the Web Request form on Keystone's Customer Service Webpage. Robyne will probably send you an email within 24 - 48 hours. Then send the rest. The other way is to send me a PM and ask, and I'll PM it back to you.

As one of many who have sent "suggestions", let me encourage you not to build your hopes up too high that Keystone will listen. That said, "hope does spring eternal", so you could be the first one Keystone will "hear".

Ron
^^^^^ I agree ^^^^^
I bought a used 05 Copper Canyon and filled in the web form looking for a build sheet for my unit. I received the as built configuration of within 48 hours form Michelle at Keystone CS.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Keeper

We also have the 2011 Avalanche 290RL and we love it. It's like a smaller version of the Alpine with the same quality and appeal. For us, the 290RL is perfect because of the 34' length. We live in Florida and camp mostly at state parks where anything bigger, over 35', would limit us to available sites.

Only one problem so far that I need to get checked. One of the grey water tank drain valves is super hard to pull. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope they don't have to open up the underbelly to fix it.

Also, I agree with the OP that the landing gear switch should be on the drivers side but I've gotten used to it.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
SteveC7010

The landing gear switch in the wrong location is fairly easy to remedy by moving it to the other side of the front of the trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
allentx1

Quote:
Only one problem so far that I need to get checked. One of the grey water tank drain valves is super hard to pull. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope they don't have to open up the underbelly to fix it.

I had sameissuewith the rear grey water tank impossible to pull. Had to pull down about 6 feetof the side underbelly material to access the valve body. Mine was a twisted seal that was just getting pinched and smashed in the valve. Easy to fix but had to pull down the material to get at it.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
kc185

i too have that problem. i think mine is the kitchen grey tank. dont know the problem. i also have a city water connection in the water box not labeled on my 340tg. do you know where it goes. keystone said it could be a black tank flush for the rear black tank. i would like to know for sure
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
Roberson4

On the back wall from left to right in ours is "black tank flush", "Fresh Water Connection", "City Water Connection". On the right hand wall is a antifreeze syphon connection with a black switch under it that says "Winterization ON OFF".

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc185 View Post
i too have that problem. i think mine is the kitchen grey tank. dont know the problem. i also have a city water connection in the water box not labeled on my 340tg. do you know where it goes. keystone said it could be a black tank flush for the rear black tank. i would like to know for sure
Regarding the hard to pull kitchen grey tank valve: I just had the valve checked out by the service department at the dealership. They had to get into the underbelly. According to them, it's a design problem because there's about twelve feet of cable going to that valve. After discussing options with the service guys, I decided to leave it as is. The valve is hard to pull but I can live with it.

I have another major problem though. Check out these picture of my roof. It's at the dealership right now waiting for an answer from Keystone on what to do. Beside what you see in the photo, the rubber has detached at the front AC and the plywood feels wet. Needless to say, I'm P.O.
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (Small).JPG
Views:	163
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1748

Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (Small).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1749
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote