Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
mikell

Inverter Loation Alpine 3640rl

I think the storm toasted our inverter. It seems the 2 7000 volt lines on the ground about 200 feet away was more than systens could handle. It didn't come up through the surge protector it came up in the trailer and blew the inverter and the electric blanket of all things. Toasted the hot tub and tripped all the breakers in the office but didn't hurt the computers and such.

Anyway where is the darned thing . I've looked and don't see anything unless it's righr behind the power panel and then how the heck do I get to it.

Thanks

mike
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
mikell

Further looking I don't have the manual in the pile of books. So I'm at a loss so far.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I'm going to assume that you are looking for your converter. and you are correct it is in (behind, under, attached ) your power center. You should have the paper-work for that. ... be sure to replace with the correct size. Just to give you an idea .. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...FQXe4AodgXYB6A Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
mikell

Found it have to lay on the furnace to get to it. No book so far am going on line to get a manual. 175$ for a new one so far. EBay

WFCO 75 Amp Converter

Have a battery charger on the battery and have several batteries charged and ready to go. Will hook 2 or 3 together then keep the charger on. Glad it's not winter so we don't really need the furnace. Only thing is lights and it shouldn't be an issue for a couple of days.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Found it have to lay on the furnace to get to it. No book so far am going on line to get a manual. 175$ for a new one so far. EBay

WFCO 75 Amp Converter

Have a battery charger on the battery and have several batteries charged and ready to go. Will hook 2 or 3 together then keep the charger on. Glad it's not winter so we don't really need the furnace. Only thing is lights and it shouldn't be an issue for a couple of days.
I think there are glass fuses on the circuit board that may be blown ... worth checking. From the price you quoted it may be just the converter board. A few dollars more can get a complete power center.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
mikell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WFCO-...item5645e4eea3

Just ordered it if it's fuses on the board then I'll have a spare. Crazy windy storm still finding issues here and there
Old 10-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Good luck. Let us know how everything works out, Hank
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
SteveC7010

These guys have probably the most informative web site for converters, power centers, and a lot more. Their prices are not always the lowest, but the information is the best. Even if you don't buy from them, I recommend that you use this site for research and information when needed.

http://www.bestconverter.com/

One of the things I quickly figured out from reading their info and install instructions is that it is a lot easier swap out the converter/charger than to replace the entire power center. If you're planning on doing the work yourself, that matters a whole bunch.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
mikell

Pulled the converter and drilled out the rivets. Found a fuse soldered to the board but it ans several other components were siliconed in place probably for vibration. I'll take it to the lab tomrrow and see whats going on. I did order the one off EBay. Had to remove a wall in the basement and lay on the furnace to get it out but had to pull the power panel to unplug it because I couldn't get in far enough to unplug then plug it in again. About 1000$ in damage so far plus another 700$ to have a tree knocked down.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
mikell

Another thing the breaker for the washer tripped not the converter and we don'd have a washer hooked up. I'm going to trace down the circuts to see if everything is proper
Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
mikell

Converter will be here tomorrow. I'm running on 2 batteries witha trickel charger so it shouldn't be a problem
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #12
mikell

Installed the converter and vaccuumed up the mess and took some pictures for future reference. less than an hour to get everything back together