Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #21
dcg9381

I have a Champion - non-inverter, it's a great little generator and I haven't had a lick of problems with it. Key to having these start back up is to drain the fuel out of the carb appropriately if you're going to let them sit for a while.

I did notice in this chart that the Westinghouse, for 100 more running watts, consumers 30% more fuel.

http://primereviews.org/best-portabl...-the-quietest/
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
"..., not sure what "Legendary Life Time Warranty Serviced From Our HQ In Phoenix Arizona, USA" actually means...
-Brian
You can download the operator's manual here: https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com/documentation/ It's model WO2981.

The "legendary lifetime warranty" is explained on page 29. What it says (I'm NOT a lawyer) is that parts and labor are covered for 1 year, after that, parts and technical service are provided for "lifetime". But the next sentence says, "normal wear not covered" and further down it explains that parts are only covered if installed at the service center (where labor is charged to install the free parts)... So, it sounds like some "doublespeak" to me....

It seems like there's a 1 year warranty and after that, if it breaks, you have to send it to the repair center where they'll charge you a fee to diagnose the problem and if they determine it's not "normal wear" they'll replace the part (for free) and only charge you for the labor to install the "free" part. Hmmmmm
YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #23
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-63584.html

I know I know, Harbor Freight. I bought the Predator 3500 on sale for $650 last year. Last time I used it was tailgating at a football game in November. Pulled it out of the garage this past weekend and it fired up on the 1st try. Very Quiet. Now 3 years from now I may be singing a different tune but for the cost it was worth it.
I also have the Predator 3500 Invertor generator from HF...paid $699, but on-sale $679. It has been flawless for me, really is VERY quiet, and runs my 15K BTU A/C and still have lots of headroom for other TT requirements.

I personally wouldn't go with a 2KW generator, plus or minus, as it's just too marginal for a TT with A/C. YMMV... Pay attention to the other post that talks about hidden electricity draws. If you do choose a 2KW, HF also has the 2KW version invertor generator, at $649, less on sale.

FWIW...talked to a Honda representative yesterday at the Great American Outdoor Show yesterday in Harrisburg, PA. I brought up the Predator 3500 and 2000. He just stammered, and had no rationale comeback. He actually acquiesced that they are not likely to win their court case for patent infringement.

Good luck with your choice!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #24
sparky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have two "stackable Champion 2000 watt generators". They power my RV without any issues. Typically we don't need air conditioning, so I only take 1 generator on most trips around Michigan. A typical day includes using it to make coffee in the morning and about an hour or two to recharge the batteries if needed (usually every 3rd day).

This past summer I noticed a "funny fan noise" on one of the generators. It was about 14 or 15 months old (2 year warranty). I sent Champion an email through their website asking what they wanted me to do. They gave me the address of a "local" repair center. I took the generator there and was told they no longer accept Champion warranty work. I contacted the CS at Champion with this information, they sent me a FedEx tag to ship it back to them in California. I boxed it up, sent it to them, they inspected the generator and sent me a new one in return. The guy I was working with said they could not identify the noise, but agreed that it wasn't normal.

Anyway, the warranty service was without a doubt, the best I've had with that kind of situation. If I were to buy new generators, they would be Champion, based on that kind of support.

As a note, Champion is introducing a new model, a 2000 watt that is constructed similar to the "suitcase generators". It may be a tad bit smaller, but doesn't appear that it will stack (although it can be coupled with a second generator). Whether Champion intends to discontinue the current "stackable style" is something I can't find the answer to. So if you're contemplating buying a second one in the future, you might keep a close eye on availability.

Also, Champion now offers a 3 year warranty on their products. Previously it was 2 years.

I'd buy Champion again without question, if that's of any value to you, I can't say......
Thanks for the information! Do you ever try to run your microwave off one unit?
sparky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #25
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky01 View Post
Thanks for the information! Do you ever try to run your microwave off one unit?
I know my Honda @1600 running watts would run my microwave plus other stuff with the exception of the coffee maker, would have thought the Champion with @1700 running watts would have also run it.
Haven't tried running microwave on my new camper with it but it is a bigger microwave than my old one.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, we routinely run the coffee pot (1200 watts) or the microwave (1100 watts input power--900 watt cooking power) on one generator. To do that, I leave the refrigerator on "GAS" (not AUTO) and turn the water heater electric switch on the water heater to OFF. We've had no problems with either of our single generators powering the microwave. I might add that we alternate our generators if we're only taking one. That way we "sort of" keep the operating hours equal.

As for the previous comments about the Champion 2000 not supporting enough power to operate the microwave, I've never had that problem with either of mine. If I did, I'd search the trailer to make sure there are no "hidden power users" and if I couldn't find any, I'd contact Champion about a generator problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
Leatherman

I too have the Champion 3100W inverter. I have had it for close to 3 years now. It has never failed to start on the (normally) the 1st pull or (rarely) the 2nd pull. It runs everything in my 30A trailer (24RKPR) with no issues. The eco mode is very quiet and when boon docking no one has complained about the noise.

No matter the make/model or price point for a generator maintenance is key. I routinely run it monthly and put a draw on it with either the trailer or something else. This normally lasts about 30 minutes. I also change the oil annually unless it has a lot of hours on it and then more frequently.

I also installed one of those clocks/counters that shows the time so I can use it for maintenance tasks. That is the one thing missing from my Champion that I wish they had installed from the factory.

I always let it run dry after use and I always use NON ETHANOL gasoline in my generators. I also have a whole house Generac generator for my home and use the same maintenance schedule for it.

My only reservation about the 3100w Champion is the weight. Although I can lift it into the back of my pickup now, it seems to get heavier each time I move it . I would probably have purchased the two of the 2000W Champion units and stacked them. When boon docking in the Fall and early Spring I don't need to run the AC and they are easier to lift in and out of my truck.

I will certainly purchase Champion again and recommend that brand for cost and ease of use.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #28
KSH

I use the champion 3100 to power my house when the power is out. Runs 2 fridge, lights, microwave, etc without a problem. Runs everything in my trailer just fine.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #29
Hodgy

While looking at Champion home standby generators I came across this app for remote starting of some of the Champion portable generators. Looks like it works with the 3100 to 3500 wireless start inverter generators.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ireless-remote

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #30
sparky01

Champion 2000 watt inverter

Thanks for all of the advice, looks like the Champion 2000 inverter will suite our needs for now. I found it for $455.00 on Amazon and its the cheapest I've found. Any other vendors/deals I should be looking at?

Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-2000...rter+generator
sparky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #31
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky01 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice, looks like the Champion 2000 inverter will suite our needs for now. I found it for $455.00 on Amazon and its the cheapest I've found. Any other vendors/deals I should be looking at?

Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-2000...rter+generator
For almost the same price I would get this if you want to run the ac in your trailer. I got it from Costco for about this same price on sale.

https://factorypure.com/products/cha...iABEgLNUPD_BwE

KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #32
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
For almost the same price I would get this if you want to run the ac in your trailer. I got it from Costco for about this same price on sale.

https://factorypure.com/products/cha...iABEgLNUPD_BwE

Totally agree. Don’t waste your money on 2000 watt
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #33
ChuckS

One recommendation win your new generator is start using Seafoam mixture with your fuel right from the get go. This will keep the unit clean and you wont have to worry about winterizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #34
mfifield01

I've bought two generators from Supergen. They are refurbished, but most of the time they are just Costco returns and never used. They have great service/support.

https://www.supergenproducts.com/cat...3100w-inverter
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #35
dcg9381

Hmm.. that's a good price on an inverter gen.. $ 549.00 (2800/3100)
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #36
Cgjt

Rural King (ruralking.com) is selling Champion 2000 inverters for $399 with free shipping. Bought mine the beginning of February but I think the price is still the same.
Cgjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Champion has recently introduced a new model 2000 watt generator. It is styled much the same as the Honda/Yamaha brands. I'm guessing that the new style will go on sale in the future at an introductory price, to get them into the field. While they may not be as inexpensive as the current model when on sale ($399) the new ones may be an excellent buy for anyone who doesn't need new generators right now.

I have no guarantee that Champion will sell the new models at a "bargain price", if you don't need them right now, you might consider waiting a bit to see what develops in the next month or so.

Here's the link to the new Champion: https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ter-generator/

It's also available in a dual fuel version: https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ter-generator/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #38
Hootie

Champion- yes

Westinghouse - no
Hootie is offline   Reply With Quote