Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
patraveler

Power awning

I never had a power awning so excuse me for asking this. It was my belief that we can lower one side of a power awning (Tilt) so water could run off when it rains. If so how would you go about doing it? If not then during a rain you have to have the awning retracted and get all your belonging out of harms way unless you wanted them soaked
patraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It really depends on the brand of awning you have. Most have an "automatic dump" feature which is a spring loaded/gas piston loaded arm that will automatically lower to empty the awning fabric once enough water accumulates to make it "heavy enough to overcome the spring tension"....

Other awnings have a screw knob that will hold the awning arm down once pulled down. This creates a slope toward the lowered side and prevents most water from accumulating in the awning fabric.

Many awnings, Dometic for one (it's what I have) contain both features. Look at your awning manual, it should tell you exactly what features your awning has and how to best use them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on the brand of awning as to how to change the pitch. Some have a thumb screw that you tighten as you pull down on an arm. Some have a screw that holds two parts of the arm and you simply pull down at that point. Some have "buttons" that stick out and you press them in and move the arm. Can you determine the brand? Or open the awning and take a picture of the arm? Then I could tell you which way to do it on your particular awning.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Mine all you do is pull down on the arm (either end) to cause one end to lower a bit.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Mine has the auto dump and the screw knobs so you can do both. I will say that I thought I would let it auto dump the first time....the only time. When it finally drops and drains the water it makes a big "thump" when that piston shoves it back into place. I just lower mine manually now because I think the auto dump lets too much water accumulate before it drops and will cause the awning to stretch, plus I really don't like the "thump".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
patraveler

I do have a spring loaded piston on the unit

Direction say only if equip. Does not say if it does.

We will see on the first hard rain

Thanks everyone
Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The piston is there to aid in opening the awning. It doesn't really "control" the pitch of the fabric. One or both arms have to be physically moved for the pitch to change. The awnings with the slot/knob will "rain dump" as the lower arm isn't in a fixed position if the knob isn't tightened.

If your awning is a Solera brand, then you will see a bolt at about the halfway point on the lower arm. There should be a decal next to the screw telling you to just pull down to change the pitch. If you do have this style and do pull the arm down for whatever reason DO NOT push the arm back up, it will straighten out when the awning is retracted.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patraveler View Post
I never had a power awning so excuse me for asking this. It was my belief that we can lower one side of a power awning (Tilt) so water could run off when it rains. If so how would you go about doing it? If not then during a rain you have to have the awning retracted and get all your belonging out of harms way unless you wanted them soaked

You don't say but I assume you've had awnings before. If not, I just want to advise that IMO when you have a rain storm coming in with the potential for high wind you want to pull your awning in regardless....move the belongings.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
rcmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't say but I assume you've had awnings before. If not, I just want to advise that IMO when you have a rain storm coming in with the potential for high wind you want to pull your awning in regardless....move the belongings.
I would also agree with bring in the awnings when its going to rain. I even bring them in at night when its bed time. Its better to be safe than sorry, especially how much these things cost to replace.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
mikz86ta

Like chuckster57, my Carefree has the push in pins to adjust the fully open pitch. U can make one side lower than the other for water run off and it still closes fine. They recommend only a 2 click adjust difference tho
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Mine has the slots/knobs.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #12
patraveler

Thsnk you for your response. Going to look at it next week.

Tags
awning, power