Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
bdaniel

Leak in Rear Curbside Corner. Anyone every repaired a leak like that with any luck

The leak originated from the roof. I think I found the problem and it is a day one problem. The corner trim is bent at the top and about 3 inches is screwed to the corner of the roof. It appears that the inside corner of the trim that is facing forward had no caulk underneath if and there was a small opening where water could get in. I have caulked that area but never noticed that potential problem.

Anyway I have removed about 6 inches of the inside paneling on both sides of the corner. I am not worried about the rear panel. It is not bonded to anything and it will be fine when everything is dry.

The floor is rotten for about a foot along both walls of the corner. I can fix that.

I have removed about a 6 inch width of the styrofoam insulation from the inside.

I am traveling next weekend so I will have to wait for 2 weeks before I can take off the outside corner trim. I have sealed the suspected problem on the roof and will seal the corner trim temporarily until then.

I have done many RV repairs so I am confident I can fix and repair the leak. But what should I look out for from those of you that have already done this?

There is no obvious delamination on the outside. I will of course get everything dry before beginning the repair.

Is there anything I should do to the backside of the laun wood the filon is attached to other than get it dry?

I know to use the Dicor self leveling caulk on the roof but what should I use to seal the corner trim?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I will post some photos later.

This is my 4th towable RV and every one of them has had a serious leak. And I actually do check the seams and caulk from time to time.

Thanks,
Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
ken56

I happened across the same corner separation of the sealant and the roof material on our new Laredo. We have had the trailer 12 weeks and I have not noticed any water incursion inside. I used the non sagging Alpha Systems sealer for TPO roofing to seal it up. I want to find tan colored Eterna Bond tape to run over the whole seam.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
garycarl

I have a 2008 Cougar 276 rls with the same leak. The previous owner had a repair shop try to find the leak. The added dicor to the trim. It seems to me that the problem is standing water in the corner. As a carpenter, if you have standing water, it will find a way in. Can I clean and reseal everything, then fill that corner with dicor to reroute the run-off? Is that the best fix or are there other ideas.
garycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
roadglide

Would that leak be at the end of a rain gutter ? I found where was running through molding at the cap into my truck .i guess the cap was sealed good because it didn't leak in the bed room .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak