Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
TheGriz

Exterior Care Suggestions???

Hello folks...I'm the new guy here,

I just took delivery on the Bullet Premier 19FBPR. It has the painted fiberglass nose, fiberglass sides, and a TPO roof.

What are the thoughts out there on best products/techniques to maintain the finishes...nose cone, fiberglass sides, TPO roof.

Brushes or cloths to wash? Types/brands of cleaning products? Polishes, waxes? Any special care for graphics? All suggestions appreciated. Also appreciate any tips/tricks on techniques!!!

Regards,
Mike...The Griz
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I use turtle wax car wash/wax on the nose and sides of my Passport. Just use plain simple dish soap on the TPO.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Craigidyllwild

I use Mothers Wash and Wax on the whole rig. For in-between and touch ups I use their Waterless Wash and Wax. I'm a Mothers guy.
Craigidyllwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
SummitPond

Welcome, fellow 19FBPR owner. I hope you enjoy your rig as much as we do ours. What are you using to tow the TT?

We wash the entire trailer using dishwater soap with sponges and one of those soft bristle hose brushes used on cars, then "preserve" the finish using FK-1 (FinishKare 2180-M marine ultra polymer sealant, http://www.finishkare.com/pr-2180_Ul...nt_46_23_1.htm). it has worked well for us for 2.5 years so afar; no problems (knock on fiberglass) with the decals and no fading.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
CrazyCain

Yep, Dawn on the sides ( aluminum) and on the roof ( TPO) and Protect All for the waxing..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
TheGriz

Thank you for all the suggestions folks. Shacter...I am towing with a 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4wd, 5.3L, 3.42 rear. I just added this info to my profile. So far, seems to handle the load...but really haven't tested it yet.

Regards,
Mike...The Griz
Old 08-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Frank G

The absolute best thing you can do to keep your unit looking like new is to...park it out of the sun, completely out of the sun, and high and dry. No salt and keep it clean. Wax as you have Beers. Most roof manufactures suggest washing the roof with Dawn once a year using a soft brush. Inspect and keep it sealed, (edges) no coatings required. If you park it outside it will fade and dull, you may try to slow it down, but you can't stop it.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Goose

Welcome! Enjoy that Bullet. Those are nice rigs. I'm actually camping next to one as we speak. I use Gel-Gloss on my fiberglass sides, front and rear. I also use 303 protectant on all my exterior decals. Does a great job of keeping them looking new. The decals seem to be the first to start going on the exterior. Good luck and happy camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

If you can, keeping the trailer covered is the best thing you can do for it in several aspects IMO.

I thought I would keep mine on my property next door. At 1 year the Dicor was cracking so I repaired. Took it in for the roof cleaning at CW. I then thought I would build a "cover/garage" on the property for it. Price tag as I wanted was about 45k. A friend built a new storage facility on a small piece of his farm (31 units), 16x55, the entire building is insulated/sealed top to bottom w/electric and lights, each stall is walled from the others, new gravel in the stalls and large parking lot, sewer dump, fenced with electric coded gates, 12'x18' electric coded garage doors and on and on. $130 a month.....I said where do I sign up?!! My front cap had started fading and they repainted under warranty. One of my sides has very slight fading it appears (I suspect from spending months at a time in FL) so I've got to work on that. BUT, keeping it in the facility, out of the sun, has dramatically improved the weathering of my roof and sides. A long story to just say that I truly believe keeping the trailer out of the "environment" is a huge benefit for it and you it it's at all possible.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
gearhead

I'm catching my breath from compounding ours. I let it get away from me. The dew is being cooked on daily on the south side. I would recommend a wash every 2 months whether you take it on the road or not. Keep a lot of wax on it.
Best would be to keep it under a cover.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
bill-e

Protect All, this stuff is easy on and works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-6.../dp/B0002UHWEK

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
TheGriz

Regarding care of decals, the consensus here is to use a wax or some type of protectant (preferences vary of course) on decals. The dealer said to use waxes/protectant on everything BUT the decals. My intuition/experience says to use some type of protection on the decals, otherwise the elements will have their way with the unprotected decals.

Thoughts???

Mike...TheGriz

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
TheGriz

TPO Roof and Decals Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Regarding care of decals, the consensus here is to use a wax or some type of protectant (preferences vary of course) on decals. The dealer said to use waxes/protectant on everything BUT the decals. My intuition/experience says to use some type of protection on the decals, otherwise the elements will have their way with the unprotected decals.

Thoughts???

Mike...TheGriz
Well...I just got off the phone with the Keystone Company.

Regarding care of the Alpha TPO roof? Mild detergents like Spic N' Span or Top Job. Also, no UV protectant needed...in fact discouraged.

I attached the Care Instructions for all's benefit directly from Alpha Roof Systems that Keystone emailed me.

Regarding the decals? No wax on the decals as that accelerates their deterioration. I didn't know that being a recent RV owner. I never avoided wax on the decals of my cars and trucks, and haven't seen any issues. When I asked about ProtectAll, she said that is fine as the carnuba wax content is minimal. I was glad to hear ProtectAll would be fine. Would be REALLY tough to put a protectant on the sides of the RV WITHOUT getting on the decals!!!

Regards,
Mike...TheGriz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alpha Roof Cleaning.pdf (245.9 KB, 138 views)

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
bsmith0404

I stay away from dish soap on the sides, it's designed to cut through grease and waxes, therefore it removes wax. Wax on your car or RV is like sunscreen for your skin, same concept. Protect it with sealers or waxes. Synthetic sealers last approximately 1 year, a good carnauba wax only lasts about 4 months out in the weather. I keep mine stored inside so I use a synthetic paint sealer every other year and a carnauba wax on the off year. If it was outside I would do the sealer once a year followed by a wax and then wax again at the 6 month point. I'm a bit anal about protecting the finish. I was with a soap and wax, the Meguires Gold stuff you can buy at Walmart or any parts store. For the paint sealer and wax I use Black Fire Total Poilish and Seal and Black Fire Midnight Sun Carnauba. This is probably a lot more than most people will go through, but I'm a bit anal about the appearance/protection of my stuff
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #15
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Well...I just got off the phone with the Keystone Company.

Regarding care of the Alpha TPO roof? Mild detergents like Spic N' Span or Top Job. Also, no UV protectant needed...in fact discouraged.

I attached the Care Instructions for all's benefit directly from Alpha Roof Systems that Keystone emailed me.

Regarding the decals? No wax on the decals as that accelerates their deterioration. I didn't know that being a recent RV owner. I never avoided wax on the decals of my cars and trucks, and haven't seen any issues. When I asked about ProtectAll, she said that is fine as the carnuba wax content is minimal. I was glad to hear ProtectAll would be fine. Would be REALLY tough to put a protectant on the sides of the RV WITHOUT getting on the decals!!!

Regards,
Mike...TheGriz
Depends on the decals, many brands now are going to automotive grade decals which you can wax. Although I have to admit I'm confused about the carnauba content comment since it's just a waxy byproduct from palm trees that is Mother Nature's way of protecting the leaves on the palms from salt water and sun
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
Path2ground

I have been seeing the Topcoat F11 on Facebook a lot recently. They say it is great for decals, paint, and gel coat, even plastics. Has anyone had experience with this brand? I will be picking up my Fuzion 369 this weekend, and would like to start off on the right foot as far as the exterior protection is concerned. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Path2ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #17
ADQ K9

I to am curious about Top Coat F11 it is very expensive and its like $40 bucks to ship it all the way up here. I have had excellent results with Rejex sealant (Polymer based no carnuba availble localy) on my vehicles I got the Platinum protection when I bought the Cougar from CW this spring. So far through the Alaskan summer (lots of sun 16 plus hours a day) the finish has held up. I want something slick so the bugs come off easy. Seams like the benefit of Top Coat is that it is eaiser to apply, Rejex applies like a traditional wax I have also heard good things about 303.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote