Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
hdrolling

Angry 2015 Raptor Roof tearing off!

So on our way back from a week in Tenn (7 hr drive) we had a truck start waving us down pointing up at our camper.

We pulled over and saw part of the roof flapping, got up on top and a good chunk was uncovered. I felt at the time since we still had a couple hrs to go that I would just cut off the flapping pieces to keep them from catching wind and tearing more.

As soon as I got back to storage and unloaded the camper I heading across the street to camper world to see what I needed to do since we had a huge thunder storm coming in.

They told me the 12 yr warranty was just that the roof material wouldn't leak and didn't cover this type of damage.

They told me it would be in the $10,000 range to replace and my best bet was to use their permabond roof repair tape and silicone tubes to seal the edges.

Has anyone ever used this permabond roof repair tape. is it going to keep the water out? I had to do a rush job in high wind as it was about to start storming bad so my repair looks terrible. We are right in the middle of our camping season and don't want to cancel the rest of our reservations we made 7 months ago if this should be good for now.

Has anyone ever heard of just sections of a roof being replaced?

These images are not for those with weak stomachs, keep in mind I'm disabled and this was during high winds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8683.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	13239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8686.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	13240  

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

2015 Raptor Roof tearing off!

The eternabond was correct, but you should have used Dicor self leveling on the edges.

At least it's sealed from the weather. Warranty is for materials, but if your still under the factory warranty from Keystone, this might be a "workmanship" issue. Worth a try at least. Any idea what caused it?

Section repair can be done, but it's not the "right" way to do it. Last thing you want is more seams on the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
mbjam359

Roof

Good luck on warranty. HaHa ours was not covered.2nd owner on a 2015.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The eternabond was correct, but you should have used Dicor self leveling on the edges.

At least it's sealed from the weather. Warranty is for materials, but if your still under the factory warranty from Keystone, this might be a "workmanship" issue. Worth a try at least. Any idea what caused it?

Section repair can be done, but it's not the "right" way to do it. Last thing you want is more seams on the roof.
My one year warranty is expired so no luck with that one. My front decal is also really faded and cracked and I did get Keystone to cover that getting replaced out of warranty.

No clue why this happened, the camping area we stayed at had no tree's near us and was on a lake. A month before I had just conditioned the roof after being in storage all winter, I didn't see any rips or cracks so I was pretty surprised to see this so soon.

After I finished doing my repair I went home and googled the repair and then say about using the self leveling paste, by then it was too late and already started storming. I might be able to make it look a little nicer but wanted to get some ideas from here first.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjam359 View Post
Good luck on warranty. HaHa ours was not covered.2nd owner on a 2015.
Did your have the same thing happen in the same area or the roof?

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-03-2017, 02:56 AM   #6
xcntrk

Not bad considering...

I second the recommendation to reapply all the seams with dicor self leveling (for horizontal surfaces). I would go right over those existing seams and whatever sealant you used. I would apply it very heavy so that when it levels you have a good 1~1.5" wide application. That should get you through the rest of the season - assuming you don't drag the roof on anymore low branches

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #7
mbjam359

Roof

Ours came loose at the front cap and tore. I feel like it came loose at the front and got air under it before we knew we had problems.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

When I first read this thought it was the front. I was extremely lucky in my normal campsite look over noticed the band going across the front nose seam along the roof had popped loose on the street side. After further examination found that that the screw did not work loose but actually sheared off. Half of screw still in there. I am sure if I did not catch it the wind while driving would have lifted the rest of that strip and got under the rubber roof.. Like I said I was extremely lucky !!!

I can only assume it popped loose just before entering the campsite.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
canesfan

That sux. At least it was at the back. I know that doesn't help much, but still. I found about a two foot wide place last year where the rubber goes under the front cap had separated. Luckily it was in my back yard and I had time to ask on here and fix it. If I would have gone down the road like that it wouldn't have been pretty. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
That sux. At least it was at the back.
Mine is actually the front drivers side, sounding like its pretty common in that area.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
bschwarz02

My 2014 did the same thing after driving it home 400 miles the same day I bought it used. I used air stapler and stapled down every bit of the fabric (looked like stitches) then covered every seam up with the 4" roof tape ($50 on Amazon). Then I sprayed every seam that was covered with the Rustoleum water proofing product from Home Depot (flex seal). So far so good, not water leaks in mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9521.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	13451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9522.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	13452  
bschwarz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #12
ncgrl1

Will your rv insurance not help any on this?
Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
dcg9381

Not unless it was due to tree, etc. They don't cover workmanship...

My 2015 the front roof came up due to incomplete gluing of the material. It simply ballooned up due to the low-pressure created up front. It cut itself on the AC frame and the rest is history.

I've seen indications that Keystone will authorize "patch" repairs for this sort of thing, but I don't think that's an approved "roof manufacturer" repair.

$10k is a bit high. Around here $8k.. And honestly, there are better materials (IMHO) that can be used on the roof to permanently resolve this issue rather than the membrane.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
suddensam

Hdrolling

I've followed many of your posts on here since we have the same year and model number Raptor but I'm always amazed at how different our two units are. From the pictures you posted it appears that the sky light is directly over the bed and the forward AC is behind it. Mine is the opposite. AC is directly over the bed and the sky light is behind it closer to the bathroom.

Unfortunately our two units are similar in that I also experienced issues with my TPO roof getting air under it on our recent trip from Idaho to Southern California. Before the trip I inspected the roof and all seals. The only observed issue was on both rear corners the TPO was showing signs of pulling out from under the lap seal on the corners. I put a generous bead of dicor non-leveling along the area and it appears to have solved that issue. After arriving at our destination in SC I went up the ladder to do a quick inspection and make sure everything was still good. I noticed some ripples in the TPO at the front passenger side that weren't there before. On closer inspection I could see that it had ballooned enough to cause two areas along the front seal to start cracking. Fortunately I had brought the tube of Dicor with me and was able to fix the new cracks but I was still not sure where the air was getting in. The only thing that I could think of was the extreme heat, it was 112 in Vegas and through the desert to Barstow, had caused the seal to soften and expose a crack I didn't see before. I was very nervous on the return trip and checked the roof at every stop. it was obvious that it was still ballooning but I still couldn't figure out an obvious entry for where the air was coming in. The only possibility was the front screw on the passenger side rain gutter wasn't snug. I tightened that and put a bead of the dicor in that area to hopefully solve the problem. At that time could also see that it was getting enough air under it to cause it to show marks from the AC unit frame. Fortunately I had also been proactive enough to purchase a roll of EternaBond tape just in case. I put some of that down where I could see it rubbing on the AC frame and was able to get home with the TPO still in one piece. After getting home and able to do a more thorough inspection I could see about a 1/16" gape on the underside of the rain gutter/awning track/roof seal going back all way to near the door. After pulling the plastic cover that hides the screws I found that most were loose and more than half of them would just spin and not tighten. I replaced all of them with up-sized SS screws that would actually tighten and I could see it pull in and close the gap. Just to make sure no air can get through I added a bead of sealer along the bottom edge. I'm hoping this will solve the problem. The driver side on mine appears to be sealed tight along the bottom edge but it also doesn't have the stress of the awning being attached on that side. We have another trip this weekend so my fix will get tested soon.
Sam
Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddensam View Post
Hdrolling

I've followed many of your posts on here since we have the same year and model number Raptor but I'm always amazed at how different our two units are. From the pictures you posted it appears that the sky light is directly over the bed and the forward AC is behind it. Mine is the opposite. AC is directly over the bed and the sky light is behind it closer to the bathroom.

Unfortunately our two units are similar in that I also experienced issues with my TPO roof getting air under it on our recent trip from Idaho to Southern California. Before the trip I inspected the roof and all seals. The only observed issue was on both rear corners the TPO was showing signs of pulling out from under the lap seal on the corners. I put a generous bead of dicor non-leveling along the area and it appears to have solved that issue. After arriving at our destination in SC I went up the ladder to do a quick inspection and make sure everything was still good. I noticed some ripples in the TPO at the front passenger side that weren't there before. On closer inspection I could see that it had ballooned enough to cause two areas along the front seal to start cracking. Fortunately I had brought the tube of Dicor with me and was able to fix the new cracks but I was still not sure where the air was getting in. The only thing that I could think of was the extreme heat, it was 112 in Vegas and through the desert to Barstow, had caused the seal to soften and expose a crack I didn't see before. I was very nervous on the return trip and checked the roof at every stop. it was obvious that it was still ballooning but I still couldn't figure out an obvious entry for where the air was coming in. The only possibility was the front screw on the passenger side rain gutter wasn't snug. I tightened that and put a bead of the dicor in that area to hopefully solve the problem. At that time could also see that it was getting enough air under it to cause it to show marks from the AC unit frame. Fortunately I had also been proactive enough to purchase a roll of EternaBond tape just in case. I put some of that down where I could see it rubbing on the AC frame and was able to get home with the TPO still in one piece. After getting home and able to do a more thorough inspection I could see about a 1/16" gape on the underside of the rain gutter/awning track/roof seal going back all way to near the door. After pulling the plastic cover that hides the screws I found that most were loose and more than half of them would just spin and not tighten. I replaced all of them with up-sized SS screws that would actually tighten and I could see it pull in and close the gap. Just to make sure no air can get through I added a bead of sealer along the bottom edge. I'm hoping this will solve the problem. The driver side on mine appears to be sealed tight along the bottom edge but it also doesn't have the stress of the awning being attached on that side. We have another trip this weekend so my fix will get tested soon.
Sam
I think you may find that air is not getting under the TPO but the air flowing over the roof is creating lift similar to a planes wing. Due to design this can not be avoided if the TPO was not glued properly.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
suddensam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I think you may find that air is not getting under the TPO but the air flowing over the roof is creating lift similar to a planes wing. Due to design this can not be avoided if the TPO was not glued properly.
That is interesting and would explain why I couldn't find an obvious entry point for air. Does that mean the only real solution is to have the entire roof redone? Can the seals in the corner were it appears to be coming up be removed then pull back the TPO, put down new glue, then re-seal the edges in that corner be a reliable solution?
Sam
Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That is interesting and would explain why I couldn't find an obvious entry point for air. Does that mean the only real solution is to have the entire roof redone? Can the seals in the corner were it appears to be coming up be removed then pull back the TPO, put down new glue, then re-seal the edges in that corner be a reliable solution?
Sam
There are so many variables in what you're asking that the only way to get a good, valid answer is to do the job. Often times "peeling back" the TPO applying new adhesive and reinstalling the membrane is possible, but depending on the condition of the roofing under the membrane, the adhesive that's on it, the amount of stretch in the TPO membrane, the condition of the aluminum moldings, the damage to the TPO around the A/C faring, whether or not the EternaBond tape needs to be removed and whether it can be removed from where you did the temporary repairs....

Those are just a "starting point" in things that need to be considered before your question can be answered. I would advise you to find a "reliable, honest" RV repairman or repair business and discuss it with them. You might also want to contact your insurance company as your insurance policy may cover this as "damage" rather than as "component failure".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #18
suddensam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are so many variables in what you're asking that the only way to get a good, valid answer is to do the job. Often times "peeling back" the TPO applying new adhesive and reinstalling the membrane is possible, but depending on the condition of the roofing under the membrane, the adhesive that's on it, the amount of stretch in the TPO membrane, the condition of the aluminum moldings, the damage to the TPO around the A/C faring, whether or not the EternaBond tape needs to be removed and whether it can be removed from where you did the temporary repairs....

Those are just a "starting point" in things that need to be considered before your question can be answered. I would advise you to find a "reliable, honest" RV repairman or repair business and discuss it with them. You might also want to contact your insurance company as your insurance policy may cover this as "damage" rather than as "component failure".
I agree 100% that there are lots of variables involved here. I was thinking more in general terms of possible solutions. I do have an extended warranty on the unit so I will definitely check into what is covered under that as well. As is common with most RV dealers getting warranty work (or any repair for that matter) at my dealership is extremely painful and time consuming. The more I know about what can, cannot, or should not be attempted, going into the discussion with them will help relieve some of the pain associated with the whole process.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
hdrolling

Quote:
Hdrolling

Sam
Sorry to hear your having issues as well, like you I inspect before going to or leaving camping areas and never noticed anything torn.

We also just went to SC for a week and no new issues. Right now my camper is in the shop getting the new front decal replaced under warranty and their fixing a recall on my steps.

From what I've seen my 332ts is different than most 2015's, the previous owner added the bedroom AC. So if your came pre-installed that might be where it would be from the factory. I like where our is because it blows enough that was get a lot of the bedroom A/C through the bathroom into the living room to help keep it cooler.

I also have my batteries in the front and a propane tank on each side, I've seen other here that have the propane in front and the batteries on the side.

Actually in SC we did pull the handle off the cable for the reclining center seat on the couch, I still need to fix that after it get out of the shop.

I'm hoping we still get a few more camping trips done this year before my kids go back to school!

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 08-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
hdrolling

Quote:
I do have an extended warranty on the unit so I will definitely check into what is covered under that as well. As is common with most RV dealers getting warranty work (or any repair for that matter) at my dealership is extremely painful and time consuming. The more I know about what can, cannot, or should not be attempted, going into the discussion with them will help relieve some of the pain associated with the whole process.
When I asked about the warranty my dealers first question was "do you have us perform the annual roof service?", and since I didn't and couldn't prove that the roof had been kept up on maintenance that there was little to no chance of the company covering my roof under warranty.

Retired Army, 22yrs

Tags
raptor, roof