Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2017, 03:22 AM   #1
mjnix

2016 Bullet Premier AC Issues

Please help. I purchased a 2016 Bullet Premier last June. I am a seasonal camper in Michigan from South Carolina. This year when I arrived at my TT I began setting thing up for a summer of camping. Guess I didn't expect any issues with my TT since it was new. Well not so. My air conditioner is not working properly. It turns on, fan runs, everything seems normal but the unit will not cool... only slightly. The air conditioner is a Dometic that had a wiring recall last fall. I was checking into having that taken care of when I discovered the unit was running but not cooling properly. Taking the RV in to a dealer for repair is not possible since I am a single widow without a truck and help to make that possible. I did find a man willing to come and make an inspection and he took the cover off, cleaned the nuts and debris and tested the operation and determined I have a faulty unit. My repairman is jumping a lot of hoops trying to help me,according to what he has found out is Keystone will not allow him to replace the unit under warrenty because he is not a dealer. He then contacted Dometic to start the paperwork on becoming a dealer (approximatly a two week process) I am concerned that Keystone and Dometic are giving the run around. I believe my warrenty expires June 7, 2017. Anyone have any experience or advice for me?
Not so Happy Camper,
MJN
mjnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
dcg9381

Keystone won't pay your repairman for the repair because he's not part of their dealer network. This is normal for Keystone. Only a minority of manufacturers will work with you like this - Grand Design is one of them. You can try calling Keystone and explaining the situation and ask for an exception, but I'd want it in email/writing.

The AC warranty will actually be through Dometic. Typically your RV dealer would front the work and diagnostic, but in your case that's not the easy choice.

The other option is to ask Dometic for an "authorized" tech that can indicate that the unit is bad and return will be accepted by Dometic. Or find the nearest dealer and see if they will dispatch someone (likely for a fee) to do the diagnostic and accept the warranty return.

There are also various "transport" options available (at your cost). Less than a new AC unit.

You're in MI - I can't imagine you actually need the AC just yet... Hopefully you've got time.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
lawdog130

I had the same issue with the Dometic A/C in my Passport which didn't work right from day one. My dealer gave me the run around and after owning it for one year they told me I was out of warranty and couldn't help me anymore. I ended up taking it to a dealer closer to my home and they told me that the A/C unit had a 2 year warranty. They dealt with Dometic directly. The dealer had to do numerous tests but eventually Dometic replaced the entire unit with no cost to me. I would call your dealer and have them tow it. They might charge you but at least your A/C will get fixed.
Good luck!

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
mjnix

Smile

Since I live in this, any idea how long a repair might take? Thank You for your help... I will post back when I get this figured out.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Dometic requires testing and documentation. The testing only takes about 1/2 hr. To complete and then it depends on how busy the warranty people are at Dometic. Changing out the unit pays 1.0 but I can do them in less time. The unit isn't heavy but it is awkward so getting the new one on the roof may be an issue for a mobile tech.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated above, the trailer has a 1 year warranty on "everything"... During that year, Keystone will repair anything that's covered and then file the documentation with the specific appliance manufacturer (for you). After the Keystone 1 year warranty, there is usually a appliance manufacturer warranty that will still cover the appliances and some of the other components. Keystone will not process any documentation for you after the year (it's explained in detail in your Keystone Owner's Manual in the warranty section).

In the situation you're in, Dometic air conditioners have a 2 year warranty. You need to either have a Dometic authorized service center/serviceman do the repairs (testing and replacement/repair as directed by Dometic) or have your dealership do the repair as they are a Dometic authorized service center.

If your RV repairman is in the process of getting his Dometic certification, he should be able to do the repair for you after his paperwork is in order.

Don't be concerned with June 7th. The only change will be that you or your repairman will have to deal with Dometic rather than with Keystone. You're A/C is still covered until June 7, 2018.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
mjnix

I really appreciate your help. Thank you
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
mjnix

My AC unit was replaced by Dometic as being faulty, and I have submitted for reimbursement on the safety recall on the AC wiring issue to Keystone. Because the recall was a safety issue I did not have to take my RV to dealer. Keystone authorized someone to come and take care of the issue. I then submit bill and pictures of the wiring before and after the fix so it would be covered under my warrenty. Thank You all for the help and support
Old 07-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
wolfpack21643

Our Dometic AC in our Passport lasted 18 months than one day it would only blow hot air. My dealer gave me the run around and told me it was not under warranty. I called Dometic myself and they advised it was under warranty and they called the dealer on my behalf. It was fixed within the week with no charge to me. Dometic was great to deal with, my dealer (a high volume dealer) was not.
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet premier