Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Leatherman

24RKPR Rocking side to side

Maiden voyage with the new 24RKPR. Everything is going well with two exceptions.

(1) The trailer seems to rock from side to side regardless of what I do to keep the stabilizing jacks down and tight. This does have some good size slides and perhaps the added weight is adding to the rock from side to side. This is regardless of the size person that is walking in the camper.

(2) I noticed a slight leak (water) coming from underneath the shower. I need to re-check under with the panel removed while running water but the leak was not a lot of water. Yes, I know any leak is a bad leak and away this weekend I just cant spend the time looking. It was only a small amount of water but wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue.

All else is going very well. We love the floorplan with this model and the price point.

Anyone else with a 24RKPR have the rocking issue?

Thanks!
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Even us bigger trailers can have a bit of rocking. When you first level the coach do you make it level then set the stabilizer jacks? If so then can reduce the rocking with a couple of different tricks.

Level side to side using blocks etc. then X chocks between the wheels and unhook. Lower the front to get about. 2" low. Set the rear stab jacks firmly and then lift the front end until it's 2" high. Set the front stab jacks and lower to level.

You'll never eliminate all the movement, but it should be tolerable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
tashah07

X chocks are supposed to help, they are about 100 bucks.
tashah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
66joej

Besides using X Chocks I also use 2 screw jacks 1 at the frame behind the wheels and another in front of the wheels on the other side. Just take a bit of the weight off the tires it helps.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

As far as the water leak. Do you know what is leaking like drain, cold or hot water lines etc. It is good advice to check every water connection at some point and again once and awhile for proper tightest. So, far on this trailer I found cold water kitchen sink connection loose and dripping water after the 2nd year owned. It was fine before.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
BuxCamper

The plumbing connections are all you send standard and with the vibration of travel will loosen. Never hurts to check them all. I've had a pop-up shower faucet leak. As soon as the kids discovered it I knew where it had to be coming from.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Leatherman

Thanks for the replies so far.

I purchased two of the adjustable slide supports from CW:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-set-of-2/2199

They were on sale for $59 a pair. I used one under the largest slide with a 2x4 on top and it made a drastic improvement. I will use that from now on.

I am already using the Extended X-Chocks. They work on the front to back motion but my main issue was the side to side. I think it was just the heavy weight of the slides on such a short frame. The supports above seem to work nicely and were very cost effective.

The shower area did not leak again after the one time on Friday. I need to get under there while someone sprays water around so I can try to see where it's coming from. Fortunately the shower has only been used 2x so any water accumulation is minimal. I will locate the leak before our next trip in a month.

Speaking of water..this weekend with my brother, a hose broke in his popup while we were away from the campsites. A neighbor hear the "rush" of water, looked over and saw gallons upon gallons of water running out of this camper like a water fall. He ran over and turned off the water but he (we) still returned to water draining out of the camper. When we got there we saw 3" of standing water inside. YIKES. We located and repaired the leak and the water was not in the trailer very long and did not appear to do anything permanent to it.
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
66joej

Just a word of caution on those slide supports. Don't put too much pressure on them. A friend had them and got a bit rambunctious with jacking and ended up distorting his slide.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Take them back and get a refund. Back in the day of manual pull outs the floors didn't have great support. Now they do and using those can cause more damage than good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Take them back and get a refund. Back in the day of manual pull outs the floors didn't have great support. Now they do and using those can cause more damage than good.
You can find they create a small problem,,,, or a HUGE problem. Use them and at some point there will be a problem with the slide, the only question is how expensive to repair.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

I purchased two of the adjustable slide supports from CW:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-set-of-2/2199

They were on sale for $59 a pair. I used one under the largest slide with a 2x4 on top and it made a drastic improvement. I will use that from now on.

I am already using the Extended X-Chocks. They work on the front to back motion but my main issue was the side to side. I think it was just the heavy weight of the slides on such a short frame. The supports above seem to work nicely and were very cost effective.

The shower area did not leak again after the one time on Friday. I need to get under there while someone sprays water around so I can try to see where it's coming from. Fortunately the shower has only been used 2x so any water accumulation is minimal. I will locate the leak before our next trip in a month.

Speaking of water..this weekend with my brother, a hose broke in his popup while we were away from the campsites. A neighbor hear the "rush" of water, looked over and saw gallons upon gallons of water running out of this camper like a water fall. He ran over and turned off the water but he (we) still returned to water draining out of the camper. When we got there we saw 3" of standing water inside. YIKES. We located and repaired the leak and the water was not in the trailer very long and did not appear to do anything permanent to it.
If we leave our rig for an extended amount of time, we always turn the water off at the spicket pole to avoid what happend to your brother, glad no damage to the pup.
JMHO

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
craign

Leatherman,

Our Premier 22 RPBR felt pretty unstable after levelling. Our solution was to install the Steadyfast stabilizers, which work with your trailer's scissor jacks. Now our camper feels very stable once setup is complete. Installation was not bad and setup takes an extra minute. Go to Steadyfast.com for details.

Regards,
Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
Jeepshots

I've got the 24' Bullet with one slide. I also use the x-chocks, and stab jacks, getting them real tight. I sat and watched the underside as my lumbering 10 yo moved about the camper (a ninja he is not). I saw the movement and realized how it was happening. The tires/springs have a bit of side give to them. The stab jacks also have side give, due to their geometry when extended - a diamond with pivot points top and bottom. All four jacks are oriented in the same direction, thereby allowing the trailer to move laterally. There was no forward/backward motion - just lateral. I was really tempted to swap stab jacks out for the C-style, since a friend has those and his trailer is concrete-slab rock solid. But if i thought it was a good idea, there would have been many others that would have already done that. Researching, i couldn't find where anybody swapped their stab jacks for C-style jacks. It was always the other way around. So, my next thought was the BAL LockArm Stabilizing Bar. Haven't done anything yet - still researching to see if they'll fit on my Bullet...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You can always put an extra set of the stab jacks after your wheels/tires to take some of the movement out of the suspension, which is the cause of this problem. Take it for what it is worth, but that is my 2 cents. YMMV....

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #15
66joej

Jeepshots as I posted in #4 try the screw jacks. Cheap and worth the try.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
Jeepshots

Wonder if these would work? These appeal to the "ToolMan" in me...
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...527/00191#tab4
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Screw jacks would be cheaper and easier. No fluids/seals to go bad.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #18
Jeepshots

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware of that... but these are so much cooler!!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah, they will work. If you lived close by we would powdercoat them to make them even cooler.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #20
theeyres

I want to add to the others who are pointing out that this is a trailer...not a house set on a foundation. Think of living on a boat...you just get use to the rocking. It's just not worth the worry to try to make a trailer rock solid. Let it rock a little and you will get used to it. If you can do that you will enjoy your trips much more being able to relax instead of trying to make the trailer like a house on a foundation.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote