Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
abrams1161

Thumbs up Keystone 2520RL winter camping

Hello everyone we just upgraded from a 1988 Jayco popup to a 2017 Keystone 2520RL extended season in august an was wondering what would be the cold weather limit on it? i have searched the web with no luck so I'm asking you all
abrams1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
busterbrown

Re: keystone 2520RL winter camping

These trailers are "extended" season trailers only. They weren't built to withstand the the winters of our northern states for any significant amount of time. When outside temps drop to freezing on a consistent basis is about when the "extended" season ends/begins (late fall/early spring for us in Michigan)

Lack of insulating material, failure of refrigerators in sub zero temps, and excessive amounts of humidity from propane fueled furnaces are just 3 of many reasons why these coaches aren't ideal for cold weather use. YMMV
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
abrams1161

Oh I completely understand that we was just wondering if upper 20's lower 30's was ok for a weekend getaway
abrams1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Tbos

keystone 2520RL winter camping

Both Passports I've owned did ok in the environment you asked about. You need to take precautions with your hoses etc... you will use a lot of propane and will get condensation but with a dehumidifier and possibly an electric heater as a helper you can still have fun. Keeping a vent open helps cut down on condensation too. Keep you cabinet doors open too. Have fun.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrams1161 View Post
Oh I completely understand that we was just wondering if upper 20's lower 30's was ok for a weekend getaway
If those are the highs, the lows would have to be in the teens. You'd use quite a bit of LP to keep the trailer adequately heated. Plus, you'd have to worry about winterizing (and dewinterizing) if you'd be using your fresh water system.

Last weeek, we set up deer camp with my trailer for 3 days and nights. Highs around 40, lows around 29. We used 30 lbs of propane and had 2 space heaters running through the night. Inside the trailer was comfortable but the furnace got its workout. The cold winds were drafting through the single pane windows as if they were made of cellophane.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
MissJordan

keystone 2520RL winter camping

We camp all the time in below freezing weather and have seen as low as 10 degrees in our trailer. Of course we don't have running water but do put lots of antifreeze in the black tank so we can use the toilet. When it gets cold you will notice your trailer feels "drafty". Condensation is very prevalent. We haven't had the propane stop working in the cold but many people complain it has happened to them so just be prepared with extra blankets and maybe try to insulate the tanks if possible. Fridge may or may not work either and can be finicky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
Jsdigger

We took our 251rb bullet up to the mountains(leavonworth,wa)for the new year,the high's were in the mid 20's and the low's were in the single digits.we went through about 15 gallons of propane and that was with a space heater going most of the time and the wife also had heated blankets,we could definitely felt cold spots all over the trailer due to how thin the structure is but we were still cozy.now i did winterize it before we hit the road as we had restrooms and showers at the campground,different story if you dont have access to restrooms,the grey and black water valves froze and the handles would not move but the tanks were empty so not a problem. so to help answer your question.....it is possible to use it at those temps,i won't do it unless i winterize it first.i only winterize it if i know the temps are going to go below freezing,we use it all year but it usually doesn't get that cold.

2015 keystone bullet 251rbs
2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4
Jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
CrazyCain

We have a hideout 177LHS that is winterized and stored at a campground in Northern Michigan. We go up there every other weekend and stay a few days. It is winterized, but we have shore power so we have lights. I turn on the furnace to get the rig up to temp, then i have 2 small ceramic heaters that take over from there and keep the place a comfy 67 inside..Have a de humidifier, open the bathroom vent and turn on the fan. Also when we sleep we have the bedroom window cracked just a little to aid in killing the condensation. We get almost NO condensation on the windows, zippo in the cabinets and the like. No cooking inside except Microwave to re-heat. 1/2 inch foam board R3.3 covers the dinette windows also. you can see the small de humidifier on table.. small fan keeps the air circulating around the camper at night..Temps in the high teens to low 20's at night..sorry about the sideway picture, no idea why that happened...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_084519.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	11678  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Elvis

Does anyone know the roof snow limit for a Springdale by keystone? I have a 21' that is parked and covered.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
theeyres

If it warms up during the day and just gets below freezing by the middle of the night you will be fine. If you try to live all day below freezing you are going to burn propane and still be cold.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, winter