Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
searching settles

Cover Debate?

OK, so I know there are a lot of differing opinions on this subject, but I am thinking of getting a cover for my new Passport 2810BH. Pros and cons to doing this? Is ADCO a good brand? Any suggestions will be helpful.
searching settles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Tbos

I saw some in CW that only cover the top. I wonder how well they work? If you get one for your 2810 let me know what you buy and how it fits. Thanks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The "should I cover my RV?" question comes up every year as people start to winterize and put away their camper. You'll find about 50% of the opinions are "eh, who cares?" and the other 50% are about equally divided with half saying "covers are good" and half saying "covers are bad"...

Who's right? It really depends on what you're expecting to accomplish, where you live, how much "indoor storage" costs in your area, whether or not you intend to get an "early start next season" (before the ice/snow is melted) and a host of other issues.

What's "right" for one member is likely not going to be the same answer for another.

If you do a forum search for "COVER" or for "ADCO" or for "SUNBRELLA" you'll get a number of past discussions about the topic. What was appropriate last year is the same discussion you'll get this year.

Pull up a chair, spend some time looking over the previous discussions and, if you have any questions, ask about them specifically and you'll probably get more of the same 50/25/25 percentages.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
14george

I cover mine every winter no problems. I got adco
Old 10-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Post #3 is about all you need but, since I have a few minutes you get my 2 cents added to#3. That co. in my opinion makes good covers at good prices. I have had 3, 2 on boats 1 on a camper. My question to you is what is the reason and what do you expect out of a cover.
On Rvs they are a 2 person job to get on and off. They will still have water puddling on the top in rain and that standing water may find a place to leak into the rv when if rain water was just left to run off may not leak. I think if you get standing water on a cover the water will find a place to leak thru the cover onto the roof. In hot or warm temps. the decor on the roof may or will stick to the cover. That will cause problems to the roof, because your pulling off sealant from where it needs to be and leave decor/sealant on the cover to be wiped all over the rv or cover it as put on and off. I used a cover on the rv for 2 winters and will not any more since what I said can happen, did happen to me.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
esmoglo

I will be purchasing a cover for my Passport 2810BH still looking there are quite a few of them on the market. Anyone have a recommendation? The FL sun is quite harsh & hard on the exterior I think a cover is a good idea.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
I will be purchasing a cover for my Passport 2810BH still looking there are quite a few of them on the market. Anyone have a recommendation? The FL sun is quite harsh & hard on the exterior I think a cover is a good idea.
Pay close attention for delamination of the fiberglass front cap and rear cap. There have been reports of people never having fiberglass related issues and the first year they covered their RV, they found delamination upon removing eh cover. Whether or not the cover caused it, they never had an issue until they used a cover. Coincidence? Who knows. There are a number of similar reports on the forum. Some believe the sun "bakes" the fiberglass under the cover and moisture can't escape, so it "perks" into the fiberglass and causes bubbles (delamination)...

Just watch closely for any beginning signs and take action before it gets "too bad"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Not asked but, a free standing frame cover would keep water and sun off the RV and still protect it without any problems I found or you will read about to the rv. They cost more and you need to think about if wind may damage them. Other wise keep windows covered from allowing sun fade inside and check or pay someone to check and clean the roof every year. Wash the sides when they get dirty. Sun fade to the outside will happen with just use after several years. A good wax each year helps with that.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
bmach

I put my cover on by myself, not a hassle at all. I cover it with an ADCO cover. I clean and wax the camper then cover it. When I take the cover off I am ready to go.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmach View Post
I put my cover on by myself, not a hassle at all. I cover it with an ADCO cover. I clean and wax the camper then cover it. When I take the cover off I am ready to go.
X2 with#9 said
Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Not asked but, a free standing frame cover would keep water and sun off the RV and still protect it without any problems I found or you will read about to the rv. They cost more and you need to think about if wind may damage them. Other wise keep windows covered from allowing sun fade inside and check or pay someone to check and clean the roof every year. Wash the sides when they get dirty. Sun fade to the outside will happen with just use after several years. A good wax each year helps with that.
I had one built for mine, after I found a branch, from one of the pecan trees, laying on the ground next to it one day.

-Brian
Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Now that's a cover I'm talking about. As long as you have room to put it on your property. It will last thru the life of the RV and maybe add value to your property at time of sale. Many people have made that type of cover in the area of my beach house for park trailers and seasonal use lots.
I do agree guys 1 person can put a cover on a RV but, 2 makes it safer and faster with fewer up/down the ladder and not ripping the cover as it is being pulled blindly over the sides or top or catching on anything that can or will break on the RV.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Hideout17

I live in pa. We have snow and ice for months on end. My fear is the ice and snow hurting the roof. Any of you in these kind of climates and what do you do.
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

We live in northern Michigan. Ice and snow is a "way of life" from December through April. Some years it starts in October and doesn't end until June. So, for me, dealing with icy conditions on RV roofs in part of the "norm"....

The first year we had our Springdale I covered it with an ADCO Tyvec cover. We had to postpone our departure in the spring until all the ice and snow thawed off the trailer roof because the cover was frozen to the RV. So, the next year we found an empty warehouse about 30 miles from our home and rented space there. The objective was to be able to get an "early start" to escape the spring thaw. Well, the parking lot at the warehouse wasn't accessible until mid May, so we were still "stranded" so to speak. After two years of that, I decided to just build my own pole barn specifically to store the RV and my boat. We did have issues (the first year) with the big "side rolling" door freezing to the ground and wouldn't open. So far, it's been a great investment, but I assure you, I'll never get my "complete return" based on rental savings.

So, protection (proper maintenance) of your RV is important, a cover "might" help, but can pose some problems if you want to leave before the ice melts, if you can't keep the cover tightened properly and if you live in a "windy location" where the cover billowing may present a problem.

Renting inside storage space eliminates the potential cover damage, but can cost more, depending on rental costs which differ from area to area.

Building your own shelter offers the "best of both protection and convenience" but is very expensive compared to alternatives.

Keep in mind that it's likely that the vast majority of RV owners simply store their uncovered RV either in their back yard or in an outside storage lot through the harshest winters. Few of them have significant damage and most are satisfied with their outdoor storage options.

I suppose it really boils down to what you want, what you can afford and how long you intend to store it each winter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
RGene7001

My previous Passport spent 3 years under Florida sun without any adverse events. It still shine and the graphics did not fade or peel. Putting cover and removing it 5-6 times a year is a real pain. And Passport roof is not walkable, to my best knowledge.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #16
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post
I live in pa. We have snow and ice for months on end. My fear is the ice and snow hurting the roof. Any of you in these kind of climates and what do you do.
Live in northern W Va I cover with adco cover no problems
Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #17
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post

I live in the Adirondacks. We never cover the trailer. Very few folks up here do. Some of the reasons have already been explained. One I would add is that any flapping of the cover in the wind will either rub damage the trailer or eventually tear the cover. And I want to check the condition of things up there every time I use the SnoRake to clear the roof.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Hi, Being that I live up here in the Great North-Wet I was lucky enough to be able to have built covered parking for my TT.

In the past I used covers and even blue tarps to cover but was always fighting tears and abrasion from flapping in the wind.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper and deer.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	9625  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

I failed to mention that with a cover on the RV for the winter, I noted both sky lights needed to be buffed up with wax to bring back a shinny finish without scrapes from the cover. That was not a deal breaker just some more springtime work. Makes cents to me the cover moving around thru out the wind and rain rubbing against the plastic.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #20
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
My previous Passport spent 3 years under Florida sun without any adverse events. It still shine and the graphics did not fade or peel. Putting cover and removing it 5-6 times a year is a real pain. And Passport roof is not walkable, to my best knowledge.
So you kept it covered?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote