Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
C130

Toy Hauler Comparisons

Got a few questions for those of you that have recently bought toy haulers. We'll be in the market for another one assuming the sale goes through on my current 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition. We've been very happy with our Fuzion but we'll be wanting to compare several different brands as we look at new ones.

What set the Fuzion or Raptor apart from the others? I know floor plan is different for everyone but what else set them apart? Probably a dumb question, but do all the new ones come with a remote to control the slides, awnings, front and rear jacks, etc? Our 2011 Fuzion has the remote but not sure if that was a Touring Edition option or if all the new ones have it now. We still like the Fuzion but dislike the flooring, we want the hardwood floor look. There are other things we like better about the new Fuzions but still not over the flooring. One thing I have noticed is our cabinets in our Fuzion are much better quality than most everything we have looked at. We really haven't looked at the Raptor's lately. We went to look a them at Camping World but gave up after no one would help us after waiting for over 30 minutes. We do plan on going somewhere to look at them though.

I know this is a Keystone forum but did anyone compare the Grand Design Momentum's? Customer service seems to be their strong point by my local dealer is known to be one of their worst according to what I was told at a Grand Designs rally so don't think their customer service will be a selling point for me. Every owner we spoke to spoke highly of their RV's but typically that's the way with most owners I think.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
rbev2308

I have several family members with Fuzions and one with a Raptor that love them. I personally liked the Heartland products in particular the Road Warrior as it suited my style. Then I stumbled on the Momentum and now the new Momentum M class which is not your monster 43 footer but like 38 or so. I loved the story of their ownership and how they came into existence and the mark they have left on the market in such a short time. Little more pricey as volume and # of dealerships just not comparable with Keystone and Heartland product line. Just could not convince the wife to get one so we settled on the Alpine. I think you have a distinct advantage in looking at anything cause you know what the Fuzion has and what it will probably have so the little things will pop and catch your attention quicker than mine..Good Luck!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
gtsum2

I have a fuzion chrome with all the goodies and we like it a lot. No issues so far after 3000 miles and about 30 nights. I do really like the momentum haulers by grand design though. Just couldn't find one aeound here to really check out. Fwiw, I have had at least ten people come up to me while camping to comment on how sharp our fuzion is. The chrome package adds paint (and other things) and it does look sharp
Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
DiverB

I was pretty dead set on a Cyclone or Road Warrior last year mainly because of their good reputation of customer service and I liked their floor layouts, but what I didn't like was the bed being part of the slideout with NO shelf or power for my CPAC machine. I then decided I must have a north/south bed with at least one night stand.

I started looking really hard at the Fuzion and Raptors, but didn't like the second A/C being in the garage area. I use my coach alone nearly 99% of the time, so I would never have anyone sleeping in the garage portion and I felt the garage A/C was sort of wasted.

Once I saw the Carbon was a Keystone product, had all the features I wanted and none of the ones I would never use (inside fireplace) plus it was much cheaper than the Raptor or Fuzion. I'm very pleased with my purchase of the Carbon
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Way Of Life

We have a 2015 Fuzion 325. We did several months of research of all the companies and became impressed with the Fuzion line. The Momentum is nice but lacks in floor plan offerings. We did not want or need a huge toy hauler but we were very specific in the options we wanted. I became the most confident with the tie down system found in the Fuzion. Other companies have been found using what I call d-ring pockets recessed into the floor but only secured using wood screws into the flooring....CHEAP....CHEESY....and INEFFECTIVE to say the least.

We were also looking for a king sized bed.....large 4 door fridge....auto leveling and generator. What we found were considered options on most other manufacturers was considered standard on a Fuzion.....King bed not even being offered on most.

We have had a few issues with our 325 but I promise you this....You will have issues with EVERY manufacturer. Do your research.....Most can be done online. Once you have developed a short list of models and manufacturers to consider....Hit the dealerships to take a look at ALL of them. Once you have done so you should be able to make an educated purchase that you will be happy with....At least until the next big thing hits the market....
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
hdrolling

We had our heart set on the voltage toy haulers and had planned to get one. When the time came the floor plans on them couldn't compare to the Raptor we bought. King bed, 4 door fridge, generator, auto level, dual auto awnings with LED strips, twin queen beds (bottom doubles as dinette) in the garage and a loft in the kitchen, 12' garage, 48 flat screen TV in the living room plus flat screens in the bedroom and garage (the garage TV also mounts outside) all on a double axle. Most with all these options came only on triple axle toy haulers.

The Raptor just had everything we were looking for and looked welcoming inside with the wood cabinets and leather reclining couch.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
Moomba80

We bought a 2015 Fuzion 325 at Tampa Rv show at first of the year. That Is the place to buy. They have all the brands there for u to look at and compare. We were in Between the Fuzion and a Jayco Seismic. The Fuzion was a little more Money but looked better and more features. We have used it about 5 times now and love it
Old 07-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
C130

Well, toy hauler is gone so we will start our search for another one but really in no hurry. A couple came last Sunday to look at it and after discussing it for a few minutes they immediately said they wanted it. Happened quick, much quicker than I thought, but it was a great looking unit and in outstanding shape. I've also had several other people interested in it and from the feedback I got there are several around for sale but few in outstanding shape and the ones that are go pretty fast.

Trying to find another used unit in as good of shape probably won't be easy. I just won't seriously look at any stored outside so that's the first deciding factor. If I could find the right 2015 left over at the right price I might consider new also and willing to wait until the winter also. First, we have to find out for sure what we want. Thanks for the input and still would like any feedback.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
FlyingChief

We just brought home our new Raptor 355TS two weeks ago after spending quite a while looking.

Our previous 5th wheel was a Heartland Bighorn. We decided we wanted to be able to take the Harley along and that launched the search.

As previous Heartland owners, we started out looking at Cyclones and Road Warriors. At one time, the Cyclone was a good product with a good reputation. We liked the 3110 (we were set on a 2-axle, less than 40 ft). Although the workmanship wasn't the best, we probably would have gone with the Cyclone, but we had a bad 'sales' experience at two different dealers that drove us to consider other options.

We looked at Fuzion, Raptor, and Voltage. We just didn't find a floorplan in the Voltage that worked for us. The Fuzion 371 and the Raptor 355 were our choices (we liked the half bath off the garage). In the end, we went with the Raptor because it had a bit more storage. I think it has what I call a 'drop frame' compared to the Fuzion. When I open the pass-through storage, the bottom of the compartment is level with the bottom of the door on the Raptor. On the Fuzion, it is 6 inches or so higher.

At the end of the process, we're happy with our decision.....even with not getting the Cyclone. Our Raptor has more storage, a 1/2 bath off the garage, a king bed, and two ducted A/Cs standard (bedroom and living area). the Cyclone was funny...the two A/Cs were in the bedroom and garage. I understand it was done that way to reduce noise in the ducting by putting some distance between the two units, but since we rarely try to cool the garage, it didn't seem to make much sense. Having spent a LOT of time doing my own work on the Bighorn, so far I am feeling pretty good about the fit and finish on the Raptor.

So, in all, a happy customer with the Raptor 355TS, after shopping the Cyclone 3110 and the Fuzion 371. I know....I haven't had it for long....but so far so good.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
C130

I like the drop frames and the extra storage it gives you. The Momentum 385TH has the drop frame and we saw a Raptor with it also while in Tennessee. I like everything about the 385TH except the TV and fireplace placement, we hate where they are located. I'll check out the Raptor 355, sounds very nice. The rear half bath is one reason we decided to sell our Fuzion and a must have on the new one.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
BlueknightWI

We are very satisfied with our Impact 311. This is towable with a 3/4 ton and has enough room for two big bikes and two adults easily. If we wanted to move up to a larger rig I would need a one ton dually. Only thing I would add to this one is a second AC unit.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #12
C130

I think I'm going with 3 AC's this time since we will be going with a bigger toy hauler. I'd like to get something in the 41 foot range but flexible, I just don't want the 44 foot or bigger units. 2 ducted AC's worked great in our 35 foot Fuzion but thinking 3 would be nice over 40 feet here in Texas.

There's not many used units on the market around here that I am interested in right now. A few nice ones but they are asking more or close to what it was new. Some are priced outrageously high, hence the reason they can't sell them I guess. Craigslist is hit or miss, most of the people I've contacted have not responded which seems to be very common. They don't list a phone number then never respond to emails.

Off topic, but I had a company from California call me non top trying to get me to let them help me sell my toy hauler. They called from early morning to late evening. I ignored the calls for a while then finally answered to see who it was. Funny part is, I can call them and they actually answer and it's a different person every time I call. So, I've had some fun harassing them and wasting their time and I just keep calling them like they did me. I'll stay on the phone about five or ten minutes then tell them I'm not interested.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
EricLynnAllison

We liked the Raptor because at the time it had the more upscale interior plus we wanted a smaller garage and larger living area. We use the garage for an extra bedroom and catchall while traveling. Had to add a 3rd AC to the garage because it isn't insulated as well as the rest of the trailer.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #14
C130

Do all the new toy haulers come with a remote to control the slides, awning, jacks, etc? I forgot to ask the last time we were looking. It was so hot and humid I couldn't think at all and just wanted to get back inside.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
hdrolling

My 2015 didn't.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #16
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
My 2015 didn't.
Thanks, the remote on my 2011 Fuzion was one of my favorite things. I don't think I ever used anything but the remote. I could sit in my truck and adjust the height when hitching up and watch the slides come out and make sure they were clear. Guess I just assumed all the new ones had it.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #17
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Got a few questions for those of you that have recently bought toy haulers. We'll be in the market for another one assuming the sale goes through on my current 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition. We've been very happy with our Fuzion but we'll be wanting to compare several different brands as we look at new ones.

What set the Fuzion or Raptor apart from the others? I know floor plan is different for everyone but what else set them apart? Probably a dumb question, but do all the new ones come with a remote to control the slides, awnings, front and rear jacks, etc? Our 2011 Fuzion has the remote but not sure if that was a Touring Edition option or if all the new ones have it now. We still like the Fuzion but dislike the flooring, we want the hardwood floor look. There are other things we like better about the new Fuzions but still not over the flooring. One thing I have noticed is our cabinets in our Fuzion are much better quality than most everything we have looked at. We really haven't looked at the Raptor's lately. We went to look a them at Camping World but gave up after no one would help us after waiting for over 30 minutes. We do plan on going somewhere to look at them though.

I know this is a Keystone forum but did anyone compare the Grand Design Momentum's? Customer service seems to be their strong point by my local dealer is known to be one of their worst according to what I was told at a Grand Designs rally so don't think their customer service will be a selling point for me. Every owner we spoke to spoke highly of their RV's but typically that's the way with most owners I think.

I just bought my second Fuzion. 2016 Chrome 345, ordered it and was delivered 4 weeks later, right on time. It has the remote for everything and the updated interior is amazing, almost a darker wood. I went with it bc the color is amazing and the layout is perfect. Its def built 10x better then my 2013. Let me know if you want any pictures or have any questions.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #18
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
I just bought my second Fuzion. 2016 Chrome 345, ordered it and was delivered 4 weeks later, right on time. It has the remote for everything and the updated interior is amazing, almost a darker wood. I went with it bc the color is amazing and the layout is perfect. Its def built 10x better then my 2013. Let me know if you want any pictures or have any questions.
Great, I'll have to check it out for sure. I know it's a small thing but I really liked the remote and used it all the time. Photos would be great also when you get a chance.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
gtsum2

Fuzions have them for sure. We really like our chrome 345. We have about 3500 miles and over 30 nights so far on ours. First issue came up this past weekend but we got that fixed. Very pleased so far
Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
bjd68

Did alot of research before buying my second toy hauler had a keystone but just bought a 2016 grand design momentum 348 m class and I can say they all have problems but the grand design customer service is above the rest u can call the factory direct and get parts delivered to ur house free!
bjd68 is offline   Reply With Quote