Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
caser41

Electric switch on water heater

Hello. I have a cougar 276. (2008) On the side of my water heater is a small electric switch with a cotter pin in it. I turned on this switch and it appears to do nothing. I had thought it might be an element to heat up the water. But not. I have a switch for the gas inside of course, and it works well. Can anyone tell me what this electric switch is for? Thanks
caser41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
66ken

It turns the water heater on electric so you don't need to use LP. You will need to pluged into a electrical outlet for it to come on. You won't here it running but you should have hot water in about 10 minutes.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Flyguy

The electric switch with the safety pin on the outside cover of the water heater is for turning on the electric element to heat the water, it takes longer to heat water on electric but it will, if it doesn't then I would check the heating element to see if it is bad. Don't ever forget to turn this switch off when you’re done with it. If the water heater is ever drained and this element is left on, then when water is filled again it will burn out the element (maybe this has already happened).
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

All of the above plus check that the circuit breaker marked "Water Heater" is turned on.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
SLIMSHADIE

You are all right. I also have a switch inside for gas and electric. So for electiric they both have to be on(the one inside and outside with the cotter pin). I look at it as a safety feature in case the kids or wife hit the wrong button, the electric element will not accidentaly burn up.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Flyguy

I will say this, that my previous TT (a 2004 Trailmanor 3124KB) had the electric switch on the outside (inside the cover) with only the gas switch on the inside, but my 08 Passport doesn't have this, it has switches on the inside of the TT that switches both gas and electric from inside the trailer through the control board on the WH, I like that alot better, the switches even light when they're on letting you know.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I will say this, that my previous TT (a 2004 Trailmanor 3124KB) had the electric switch on the outside (inside the cover) with only the gas switch on the inside, but my 08 Passport doesn't have this, it has switches on the inside of the TT that switches both gas and electric from inside the trailer through the control board on the WH, I like that alot better, the switches even light when they're on letting you know.
I agree and a lot more conveinent. Also the switch is high enough that a young person or toddler can't reach it.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
ftwildernessguy

I'm a little paranoid about the electric heating element being turned on accidentally when the water heater is empty, so I turn it off (and on) at three locations - the outside switch on the heater, the circuit breaker for the water heater, and the inside switch on the control panel. I figure by the time I have turned on the third switch, I would have thought to check to be sure the water supply is on and the water heater bypass is closed.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
PSDave

Location: Buena Park, CA. Lat: 33.851° Lon: -118.025° El:047'
Lectric switch on Water Heater

A less spoken tidbit: If you hook up to shore power, turn on the WH Circuit Breaker ... and fire the WH with propane ... you will get HOT WATER FAST(er)!
Just my 2 cents worth.
PSDave

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
'06-6.0 F-250 PSD AOD, CC, 4x4 SB
AirRaid intake
BANKS Six-Gun iQ (pre-turbo Pyro)
BANKS Monster Diesel Dual Exhaust
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Ride-Rite Air Bags (wireless)
Gear Vendors OVER/UNDER DRIVE
OilGuard bypass oil filtration system
Pullrite 18K Super Glide (auto) Hitch
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
PSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #10
Wolfwalker

water heater switch

Also, don't forget to check limit switches!! If you empty the tank and leave the element on, it will destroy the element and possibly the limit switch. it should look like a rubber button type. which is 120v & 12v limits if gas and electric. Our electric switch is on the outside, gas inside. I hate it. Will be relocating so both are inside.

Also, the way we use ours is electric and when we shower, we fire both. quicker recovery and can take 15-20min showers if needed...psdave is certainly right on this!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
caser41

Smile

It's been awhile since I have been 'here'. Thanks for all of the good advice, it clarified a lot for me. We have had our 5th for 3 years now and have gotten lots of use out of it. We have traveled 3 months along the Alaskan highway, a couple of times across Canada. And numerous local trips. Why am I mentioning this? Just to let you know that I still havent' used the electric part of the water heater yet! Probably as we mostly like to 'dry' camp.

Has anyone moved the switch to the inside of the rv yet? And if so would you post pictures, and instructions on how you did it?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caser41 View Post
It's been awhile since I have been 'here'. Thanks for all of the good advice, it clarified a lot for me. We have had our 5th for 3 years now and have gotten lots of use out of it. We have traveled 3 months along the Alaskan highway, a couple of times across Canada. And numerous local trips. Why am I mentioning this? Just to let you know that I still havent' used the electric part of the water heater yet! Probably as we mostly like to 'dry' camp.

Has anyone moved the switch to the inside of the rv yet? And if so would you post pictures, and instructions on how you did it?

Thanks again everyone!
Caser41, Welcome home. I have found the easiest way is to turn the tank mounted switch on after I fill with water and then turn it on and off from the circuit breaker inside. It works for me with no rewiring and less chance of turning on dry.. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
caser41

Thanks Hank. That 2 cents worth makes sense! I think that is what I will do....
Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
EmCommer

Just remember to think about your electricity usage, especially if you only have 30a service. If you aren't running the AC you should be fine, but with the AC on you won't have the juice left to heat water.
EmCommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
msp2jxr

Electric hot water heater switch

I did not like the little switch on my Keystone MKS 326 located outside the camper, under the hot water heater cover (which is no longer on a hinge), behind the tube to turn on and off the hot water heater. I also thought about using the breaker but I need a reminder to let me know if the electric part of the heater is on or off. The circuit breaker doesn't do that. I installed a switch with a light in plain view on the cabinet as a reminder if the electric part of the hot water heater is on or off. It took me about an hour to install and I am glad I did. I will post pictures for you when I can.

Here are my pictures.

First make sure there is no AC power to your trailer. My trailer had a connector for easier removal for the water heater. I cut the 14 gauge wire to the incoming side of the connector. I ran that wire to a junction box; added my own wire between the junction box and where I wanted the switch. The switch gets hooked inline to the black side of the wiring and the switch open and closes the circuit. I used a lighted switch to help me know it is on so I do not forget to shut it off before I unplug the main power cord. This switch is located in my entry way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Smaller.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric heater switch Smaller.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	633  
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
caser41

Thanks for the photos. I haven't got around to it yet, as I have been away for about 2 months. Probably have to wait until spring now.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I have found the easiest way is to turn the tank mounted switch on after I fill with water and then turn it on and off from the circuit breaker inside. It works for me with no rewiring and less chance of turning on dry..
Yes, I think that is what is intended. Just use the breaker if you don't want electric heating for some reason during a trip. The switch under the outside access plate is just there as a fail-safe, meaning you should turn if off when you drain the tank just to be sure that the element cannot be activated, and turn it back on when the tank is filled for the season.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

This rocker switch is also used to turn off the HW tank before you leave a campsite where you have been plugged in. Not a good idea to get back home, plug your unit in, and then find out long afterwards that you forgot to turn the switch to OFF. Something like having the furnace on and leaving all the doors and windows open.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #19
cpaulsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmCommer View Post
Just remember to think about your electricity usage, especially if you only have 30a service. If you aren't running the AC you should be fine, but with the AC on you won't have the juice left to heat water.
Just this last weekend...was using the A/C(was 102 degrees),the water heater on electric and the microwave occasionally. Never had a problem with 30 amps.Also...2 tvs on at the same time.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #20
cpaulsen

I added a switch inside my 5ver for the water heater. Makes it a lot easier to turn off and on. I did not use the breaker...because it is NOT a switch....figured it was easier just to install a switch.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote