Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Paddler

2011 Montana 3400RL

Greetings all,

We picked up our new 3400RL this weekend and we are tickled pink. We had to have a couple things addressed after the PDI but nothing major and overall we are pretty satisfied with the initial quality of our unit.

We realize that with only 48 hours under it's roof, and most of that time was spent moving our stuff from the old TT to the new 5er, we still have a lot to learn.

The Likes:

Rear living floor plan: With the Entertainment center angled and the TV on the swivel base...all seats have a good view of the TV (at the same time). Unlike the floorplans that have the TVs that rise out of the consoles and don't swivel...JMHO

Kitchen: L shaped counter has lots of open surface area for meal preparation.

Air Con: We have the optional 2nd AC unit, so I like the Dual Zone thermostat. Just hope it can keep up with the Florida summers. We did use the fireplace both mornings to take the chill off, nice option.

Bed room: We like the open floorplan, I know many folks prefer not to have guest see their bedrooms when the guest visits the loo, but for us we like the open area. The 6+ft ceiling is also a big plus even for us short folks.

Towing: Had a learning curve on hitching up a 5er, but it pulled nice and over our short haul, 30 miles @ 55, returned a respectable 12.3 mpg. (We averaged about 13.4 mpg with our old 30 ft TT that weight about half as much.)

The undecided:

Water Works panel: Like the panel and location...not really sure if I lke the dump valve operation. Pull the handle then wait...same with closing, takes time to Start/Stop the flow. I'm used to more instant action. Waste hose storage tube...might turn out to be a good thing...have to give it more time.

Hydraulic slides: Press the button and the trailer will decide the order of opening or closing...NOT! Since we had never seen the 5th closed up, I was outside at the control panel selecting the closing order. After we learn the safe "free spaces", we may let the 5th select the order.

In summary, we likes it.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Handysam

Congrats. you must be very excited and can't wait to get out. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Herap

Congrats on the new 5er. Hope all your camping trips are clear and sunny. Have fun!
Herap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Paddler

Thanks for the Congrats, I'm sure we will have a ton of questions for the forum once we get some "camp time".
Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
gbsb

Might want to check out the Montana Owners Club forum. A great place for info on all things Montana. We have had two a 3670 and a 3400RL. Loved them both but retireing in seven weeks and wanted to take Harley with us so we went with a toyhauler. Congrats and good luck. George
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Paddler

We brought the rig home this weekend to re-arrange our gear and to make a few minor repairs.

Prior to running the bedroom slide out I noticed light coming in from the bottom seal. So I removed the bedding and disassemble the bed top to access the slide frame and ram. Tightened up on one of the ram stroke adjustments and that seems to have solved that problem. I then noticed hydraulic fluid on both of the ram's input lines. Tightened both hose connections.

I was starting to put the top back on the bed when I noticed the main top support a 2x4 was cracking at a knot near the center of the board. Boy, that would have been a rude awaking! Anyway, I cut a couple pieces of 2x4 to insert under the main support to act as braces and screwed them into place.

Overall it was a pretty productive weekend and all things considered, I really haven't found to much wrong with the rig.

Anyone know how the remote control (for the slides/awning/landing gear/stabilizers) works? I've pressed the buttons...it lights up...and nothing happens. Do you have to syncronize the remote with the rig?

The stereo/TV looks like it's going to be a real challange also. I did manage to attach the IPOD adapter to the stereo...Sweet!

Anyone know where the light switch for the LEDs over the king pin is located?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Handysam

The remote on ours, which is a cougar fiver but probably the same, works like this. Push the power button, then the screen on the remote says to push the up arrow and select at the same time, then you just use the select button to pick what you want to do. The light for our king pin area is right next to the front jack switch. What Ipod adapter? I don't think I got one of those. Sam
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Paddler

Thought I'd report in and a request for some help. First I discovered the secret switch for the LED king pin light. Just switch on the right side (passenger side) scare light, this also turns on the King Pin LED.

Now the plea for help. This rig appears to have only one dump handle for two gray tanks. Pulling the handle only opens the valve for the sink and shower, not the valve for the kitchen. Is there another valve handle for the galley, that is not in the water service console?

Cancel this request! While I was typing this, my better half did a search on RV.net and discovered the location of the galley valve. It is located slightly in front of the left side front tire. Sure wish the PDI guy would have mentioned this! All's good.
Thanks,
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Handysam

Glad to hear alls good. Thanks for posting. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
rebelfan

Sounds like you have it figure Steve, you had a lot of the same questions I had when we first got our rv.

Go camping
rebelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Paddler

It's all coming together. Only thing we haven't got working yet is the remote control for the stablizers, landing gear, awning and slides. Ours doesn't have the LCD screen on it. The instruction say press LCI, then ON. Pressing any other button should make something happen..it don't. Not a big deal, since the manual controls for all those functions are located right where you would need to be to operate them. Although extending the slides, solo, with the remote would probably be safer if you were in tight quarters.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
The Sunflowers

I'm having fun reading of your new experience, because in 2 weeks I'll be facing the same. That is when we pick up our "new" 2005 Montana 3400rl.

We fell in love with this floorplan because of the open living space (we've never had guests when camping and in 4 weeks will be empty-nesters, so this is perfect for us) and the wonderful kitchen layout. My wonderful wife has worked as a chef and run her own cake and chocolate business in the past, and is now the chef-in-residence at the B&B we own. With that background having a great kitchen design was the first priority in picking a trailer!

Anyway, I expect I'll have fun figuring out the location of all the switches, knobs and controls, just like you are doing. I hope the dealer we are getting it from does a good job explaining it all to us or I'll be starting a thread just like yours!

Enjoy your 5er. I see we are in the same city (small world) so maybe we'll meet up someday. Does your nickname indicate an interest in kayaking maybe?
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
The Sunflowers

Darn! I posted before putting in a signature so it isn't showing on the previous message. You'd think I was a n00b to forums!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Paddler

Congrats on the new 3400RL. Hope we can hook up in the near future. What dealership has your RV?
Good luck,
Old 05-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
The Sunflowers

We are buying it from Campers Inn of Leesburg. The deal offered was so good it was worth the drive!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
billstuart

Paddler,
The switch for the docking lights on our Alpine 3555RL is in the forward compartment on the starboard (pass.) side where the landing gear switch & hydraulics are located, so I would think yours would be near your landing gear switch, too.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #17
azlee56

I had to program the remote for the sliders, etc. Which was a trick for a bit. I typed in the remote serials and then did some guessing. I found out I had a 3 button (which should have been evident with the sn on it). They had a manual that explained how to do it. So boyfriend is happy with the fact he has the remote on a lanyard and can look to see all coming down. (lol, I won't touch that toy other then programing)
azlee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
rhagfo

Sounds like you have a nice rig, now to get out and use it. Four season camping is a little easier in Florida than here is Oregon.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote