Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
BiggerDave

Towing a 5th wheel vs TT

New to forum:

I am looking at moving up from a 311BHS Sprinter to the 5th wheel Cooper canyon 292FWBHS. Both are the same length 35 ft each. The 5th wheel is about 750 lbs more than TT.

What are the opinions on pulling a 5th vs TT?? I have heard a 5th is a lot easier to pull.

Any advice?

Thanks
BiggerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
CarKath

5th wheel trailers are traditionally easier to pull. More stable and secure at very minimum.

I can't offer other info without knowing more about your overall setup. I am sure others here will also offer valuable info.

Oh ya, welcome to the forum.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
BiggerDave

thanks, using a 2006 F250 Crew cab, 6.0 diesel SRW
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

You will probably get varying thoughts and advice here but I have towed both and it is my opinion that the 5th wheel makes for better towing because:
1) it is more stable
2) it has better maneuverability
3) it is easier to hitch and unhitch

Each has a different pivot point when backing up and I think that once you become familiar with how each behaves, there isn't a lot of difference between the two when backing in.

A 5th wheel is usually heavier and therefore will probably require a "heavier truck". I'm not trying to start another debate about 1/2, 3/4, and 1 T tow vehicles but as a general rule I believe this to be true. It does appear that you have a truck that can safely handle most, but not all, of the 5th wheels out there including the model you are considering.

A 5th wheel also offers added ceiling height which makes the unit more spacious and it usually has more storage. However, it isn't on a single level and it sits higher which might make it more difficult for people who have trouble with steps and stairs.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
BiggerDave

thanks for the help
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Jim W

I agree with Festu2 on his advice.
I too tow a 5er with a 3/4 ton Ram 6.7L Diesel with 3:73 gears, 6 sp auto. I am pulling a 318SAB Cougar, which I have scaled on a certified Cat Scale. My weights are: front axle 4940 LBS, rear Axle 5160 LBS, trailer axles 8140 LBS, and GCVW 18,240 LBS. These are all within the Ram allowable towing weights for my tuck. So it is possible to find a 5er that your 3/4 Ton Ford can tow safely.
One source for towing information is Trailer Life towing guide lines see the attach link. Hope this helps?
http://www.jayco.com/pdfs/DigitalTLTowGuide2011.pdf

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
smiller

I recently switched from a TT to 5th wheel (using a similar tow vehicle to yours, a Dodge 2500 LB diesel) and my impressions are (not in any particular order):

1. 5th wheel is much more stable on the road even though it is longer and heavier than the TT it replaced.

2. Backing the 5th is rather different than the trailer, feels like I'll have to go back to school before I fully get the hang of it.

3. The height of the 5th means that I have to carefully watch for overhanging branches and such, was much less of a concern with the TT. This has sometimes been limiting with regard to where I could go.

4. Space efficiency (meaning living room per foot of combined vehicle) is better with the 5th wheel since you gain several feet over the bed.

5. Depending on bed length you may have to be cautious when turning, or get a sliding hitch (not an issue with a longbed thankfully, that's one additional thing to worry about that I don't need )

6. The 5th is a lot heavier and what used to be plenty of power with the Cummins and the TT is now 'enough' power.

All in all I wouldn't go back, and my next unit will be a 5th wheel as well.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
msp2jxr

I have been pulling TT since 1989 and in 2009 switched to 5th wheel. WOW what a difference. I won't go back but there are some major differences when backing. I learned to pull ahead for your back and then pull 20 feet more then what you thought. Tends to work for some reason... Also it seems with a 5er there is more to worry about in backing because of clearance issue when things get tight. I never had those kinds of problems with the TT. The 5er front trailer corner can hit the cab and the bed corner can go up into the trailer when the ground is pitched. I highly recommend a slider hitch and use it.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
allentx1

5th wheel all the way

I went through a similar decision process. I had a Forest River Rockwood 34ft ultralite (about 6K lbs) that I towed with a Chevy 1/2 ton. That was ok setup. I found that the constant bouncing of the trailer on the back bumper was annoying and made you constantly aware of the mass behind you. I have since purchased a Keystone Avalanche 340TG (38ft and about 12.5K lbs) AND a Ford 250 6.4l Powerstroke. I will never go back to bumper pull based on the ride quality alone. The weight isn't an issue and the balance on the truck makes for a "set it and forget it" trip. Just like a few of the others, I too am having to relearn backing up. I also bought the pull-rite slider since I have the short bed. Hope that helps.
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
JoeofNSB

I have to agree with all the other posters on the benefits of a 5er over a bumper pull. Just hitching and un-hitching would be enough reason for me but all the other positives make it that much easier. As a guy who drives a tractor trailer for a living, I can tell you it won't take long to get used to backing youyr rig up. Just be patient, take your time and get out to check clearances if you need to - I still do in my big truck!!!10 seconds of walking around beats the aggravation of damage!

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
chuckretnav

5th Wheel

Im a retired truck driver, and wife and I decided to get into RV'ing. After doing some reading we had decided to go with the fifth wheel for one reason it was so much like driving a big rig. I agree with everyone that it rides so nice back there that there are only a few roads that we get on that gives us a whip lash in the cab. A few things I had to get used too was.

1. The over hang (13 ft) from rear bumber to last axle. This may be more than your use to on your T/T. A heck of a lot more than I had on my 18 wheeler (opps) good old rubbing compund fixed it.

2. You are already use to the fact that once you unhook the trailer has no brakes. OPPS boy did I learn that one. Lucky me thou I had my landing gear already raising the trailer, but it rolled as I pulled out. Just got a dimple on the bed rail.

3. Lots more storage on a Fifth. The basement on the fiver you can put a ton of stuff into. And access it from both side. I have a 327res and I carry two honda Gen's 2000 with me and store them in the front compartment where the battery is. Nice and secure dont move while going down the road.

4. I had to make a handle so my wife can get up the stair easier. Not hard to make and mount up if you need one.

5. Make sure you measure the overall height if you get a A/C on the front. And I suggest you do get one to put into the front bedroom. You have a duct work system for the factory A/C but once it gets to the front room and its over 80 outside. Its pretty hot in the front bedroom. Get the second A/C added by the dealer.

Thats about it. Enjoy your new Fiver. Happy Trails
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
jje1960

5Ver backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeofNSB View Post
I have to agree with all the other posters on the benefits of a 5er over a bumper pull. Just hitching and un-hitching would be enough reason for me but all the other positives make it that much easier. As a guy who drives a tractor trailer for a living, I can tell you it won't take long to get used to backing youyr rig up. Just be patient, take your time and get out to check clearances if you need to - I still do in my big truck!!!10 seconds of walking around beats the aggravation of damage!
Yup, just keep at it... it'll come. I 'thread the needle' in our subdivision with our stuff, was very easy to do with our TT, then the 5Ver change..... took some time but now do it yet again in a single run.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Devildogmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
You will probably get varying thoughts and advice here but I have towed both and it is my opinion that the 5th wheel makes for better towing because:
1) it is more stable
2) it has better maneuverability
3) it is easier to hitch and unhitch

Each has a different pivot point when backing up and I think that once you become familiar with how each behaves, there isn't a lot of difference between the two when backing in.

A 5th wheel is usually heavier and therefore will probably require a "heavier truck". I'm not trying to start another debate about 1/2, 3/4, and 1 T tow vehicles but as a general rule I believe this to be true. It does appear that you have a truck that can safely handle most, but not all, of the 5th wheels out there including the model you are considering.

A 5th wheel also offers added ceiling height which makes the unit more spacious and it usually has more storage. However, it isn't on a single level and it sits higher which might make it more difficult for people who have trouble with steps and stairs.
I agree totally!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Skijobe58

Go fifth wheel

I've owned a 27' and a 32' tow trailer and today I own a 36' Keystone outback fifth wheel. I would recomend a fifth wheel anyday of the week. It's also going to depend on your tow vehicle of course. My first tow vehicle was a 2002 F-250 7.3 diesel and today I have a 2011 F-250 with a 6.3 diesel and it's works very well. Good luck
Ski
Skijobe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
msp2jxr

I will say the only negative thing I noticed about the 5er is having to bend over all the time to stay under the nose of the trailer to get everything out of the nose compartment. The DW took the side compartments! My trailer does not have any compartments in the back vs most TT that seem to at least have one. That is my only gripe and I am working on that this spring.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote