Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
twvette

My water pump is now quite and have reserves too!

For those of us who do most if not all dry camping, the common loud water pump gets really annoying. It is not really the water pump that is loud, its all the vibrations it transmits and the semi-rigid tubing that is used that vibrates which creates an orchestra.

Attached is my new setup. Here is basically what I did:

1. Add Shurflo Pump Silencing kit. Two soft hoses installed in a loop to both inlet and outlet of pump to buffer vibrations from transmitting to plumbing. You could piece this kit together at local hardware store easily too and save a few bucks. These two white hose are what you are seeing primarily int he pictures and doing a loop is key. Might want to rework some of your plumbing once see what a mess it is. I did not do much but did change one of the outlets to a 90 degree instead of straight with an adapter also from Shurflo. If need other plumbing fittings the lines in mine are 3/8in PEX tubing. Look into using Sharkbite fittings as really nice and easy if modify the plumbing lines outside the pump. One note on this, if gettign fittings make sure they are 1/2 as the 3/8 PEX has 1/2in outside diameter.
2. Foam or similar under pump and anywhere pump vibrations might transmit to floor/surrounding stuff. I just placed a long screw through the pump mounts and foam and did not screw all the way down so it kinda floats on the foam under neath it. I used excess foam from mattress pad as we all know a king RV bed is not a real king LOL.
3. Move plumbing lines off stuff they might hit like the water heater foam and/or tie wrap so cant hit surrounding lines etc.
4. Optional: add in pressurized accumulator to outlet. I used 4 gallon typically found in home reverse osmosis system. Allows for about 45 seconds of water reserves without pump cycling. Helps pump life too as no more on/off as you try to conserve water which is hard on a pump. Only runs when recharging entire system. Your water line pressure is still controlled by the pump of about 40 PSI so no real risk in this. I had room to add this tank as is now where my subwoofer was originally at before relocating it to behind couch inside.

Here are some YouTube videos I got the ideas from and have further details:

I am loving it so far. It is at least 1/4 the noise and actually have to listen to hear it rather than it being obvious.

The only thing I am a little stumped on is when flush toilet it kicks the pump on every time instantly whereas all faucets and shower it does not. I don't know if the toilet has some sort of volume it releases quickly to trigger the pump on. It does flush with a bit of force so would not be surprised. This is a little disappointing as pump will run longer now as it recharges entire system so still could wake up the significant other in middle of night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7669.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	13690  
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
SloMo

[emoji108]
'09 Suzuki LTZ400 Limited
8 Year Army Vet
SloMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
slow

My water pump is now quite and have reserves too!

As you describe, this is a must do project.

To avoid having the pump run at night, now that you have an accumulator tank, turn off the pump before you go to bed. You will be good for a number of flushes. Our much smaller Shurflo tank is good for at least two flushes with the pump off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
twvette

Just did some more research based off the requirements for the small accumulator tank that Shurflo sells and they mention the most efficient use is when the tank pressure is set to the re-start pressure rating of the pump. My Shurflo 4008 is 40 PSI re-start and 55 PSI turn off rated. I currently have only 20 so need to take it up to 40 PSI. This makes more sense to me too and hopefully will solve the toilet issue too. Will report back when test this ...
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump