Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
CindyD

Big Bike Rack Problems!

Hi All,

We just purchased a Cougar 27SAB X-lite fifth wheel and are looking forward to our first trip. As we are getting ready, we wanted to purchase a bike rack for our camper. Initially, the dealer suggested that we could use a standard bike rack for 4 bikes. During a conversation with Cougar, they warned us that the bumper can't support a bike rack. Now, we're having trouble getting a suggestion from either? Has anyone else run into this problem or have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Cindy
CindyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Bike Rack Problem

I think most members would recommend that you do not carry any bikes, 1-2-3-4, on a bike rack that is only attached to the bumper. Most feel that the bumper is not supported nor welded on securely enough to carry any additional weight. Some have had cracks develop in the welds and a few have had more serious problems.
I would look into a frame-mounted hitch or some other equivalent system to mount your bikes.
If you do a forum search, you will find numerous posts about bike racks and different ways of mounting them.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Ayotte

We just purchased a 26sab a week ago. On our first trip after about 500k I had to remove the spare tire as all the welding on the bumper was cracking and I thought I would loose the whole thing. I would difinitly not put a bike rack on the square bumper.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
skifreak76

i was looking into this and thought of putting a hitch on back of my tt but found it alot cheaper to put a hitch on the front of my truck 300 vs 125. plus now i can keep an eye on them
Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
rjsurfer

A couple of things, the front bike rack effected the cooling to the engine, tranny and AC....probably by about 15 degrees at 90* outside temps, something to consider.

As far as the rear rack I agree the rear bumper is weak, what I did was remove the rear tire carrier and spare tire and just place the spare tire in the bed, then I installed the bike rack. The weight difference between the spare tire/rack and the bike rack with bikes was a wash.

My 2 cents.....

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
bruno4

cougar 292rks has built in bumper bike rack

Our Cougar, 292RKS has a slide out bumper that
supports 200 lbs. We have never used it though.
It came from the factory with this, it seems strong,
others have put bikes on it and junk and stuff.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
antiqfreq

We use the slide out bike out in the rear of our 291RLS and the DH re-supposed it with more metal and welds. We have traveled the country for a year and no problems and believe me those mountain bikes did more jumping up and down ON the rack than OFF!

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Charli

We just bought a 2012 Cougar 26SAB and the welds on the rear bumper came loose after 300km with just the spare tire on the back. We are having the welds rewelded on the bumper tomorrow so we can carry the spare tire with confidance and will be arranging for an additional receiver welded to the frame so we can use our bike carrier to carry our 2 bikes. Dealers should really tell you of this limitation before you buy a new unit.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I don't know if anyone saw a story that was floating around the various RV forums I frequent a few weeks back but someone was killed in the midwest somewhere when they hit a bike rack with bikes still attached on a highway. Rumor was that it broke off a travel trailer.

As mentioned above, even some spare tires have been known to break these square tube bumpers. It's the vibration that gets them. How many times have you drive down the road and watched bikes and racks on cars in front of you and watched them shake and fear they were just about to come off? In my opinion nothing should ever be added to the bumper or the ladder. If you must hang bikes off the rear, a hitch should be welded back the the trailers frame. I personally also don't like the rack in front of the TV. I have seen some very cleaver racks that were welded to the PIN box but I chose to get a cab mounted system from Yakima. It works great for us. I am able to get the bikes on and off fairly easily.

Just some additional thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-09_15-46-53_943_compressed.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	517  
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
ktmracer

What I did on my 295RE was to cut off the factory sewer pipe holder. then we welded on a 4.5" sq x 3/16" wall thickness tube. The factory bumper is very thin and not extruded, but wrapped and seam welded, easy to have fatique cracks and problems with anthing attached to it. We welded the new bumper to the factory beams going to the frame with full penetration welds, then added gussetts. Then I welded on a 2" reciever tube for the bike racks. Also repositioned the spare tire down and to the right and welded the mount to the bumper. Gives more room for bike clearance to the tire.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
djelysian

Newby with 291RLS

Hi Cindy. We received our Cougar High Country in April and have really enjoyed it so far. However, we were dissapointed to find out that the rear bumper cannot support a bike rack. This really should have been mentioned to us before purchase. Also, there are no written materials that came with the unit that mention this important limitation. Lot's of folks enjoy biking while rving. I think we will likely use a bike rack that mounts to the rear ladder to carry one bike. Let us know how you make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyD View Post
Hi All,

We just purchased a Cougar 27SAB X-lite fifth wheel and are looking forward to our first trip. As we are getting ready, we wanted to purchase a bike rack for our camper. Initially, the dealer suggested that we could use a standard bike rack for 4 bikes. During a conversation with Cougar, they warned us that the bumper can't support a bike rack. Now, we're having trouble getting a suggestion from either? Has anyone else run into this problem or have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Cindy
djelysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
mike9661

Cindy
I put a front hitch on my TV traveled to FLA. and back along with 200 mi local trips and never had a problem with overheating engine or trans. We always carry three bikes but I do remove the seats.
Mike

2011 Cougar 318SAB
2011 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax
16K Superglide
mike9661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
rubydoodle

Ladder bike rack

We have a Cougar High Country 291 RLS, and we went with the ladder bike rack. We have traveled over 10,000 miles with them, and it works well for us.
rubydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Johnnyfry

Bike Rack

I removed the spare tire from the bumper on my 318SAB and attached a Swagman 2 bike rack to the bumper.

I also run a cargo strap from the ladder through the bike frames to relieve some of the lever torque on the bumper and reduce vibration, both are big contributors to cracking welds.

To date, over about 4,000 miles, I have no cracking. I inspect for any cracking quite frequently.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
therink

I do have a 4 bike rack on the bumper of my 2010 Outback fiver. I use it for three bikes. Consider me lucky, but it is solid as a rock. Been there for two years now and never had a problem. BTW, I ditched the cheap spare tire holder the first day I had the trailer. I carry the spare in my truck bed when towing.
Two things I did:
1) when installing the bike rack on the bumper, I added 1/8" stock steel plating on the top and bottom surfaces of the bumper tube to evenly distribute the load of the rack mounting brackets. Without the extra steel, the bumper tube is too thin and collaapses as the rack bracket bolts are tightened.
2) when hauling bikes, I secure them to the rack using 2 ratchet straps and crank them down real tight. Thus keeps the bikes good and tight so they don't shake as I go down the road.

I had my buddy follow me for many miles and verfied that the bikes ride fine. I am thinking that I am lucky to have had decent bumper welds from the factory.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
greende

We recently traded from a Keystone Cougar X-lite TT to our present 5er. Our 293SAB has the pull out bike rack. I put a receiver hitch on the back of our X-lite two years ago. No problems with the welds but the square tube did twist alot. I like the idea of just taking the old square tubular bumper off and welding a quality square tube to the back with gussets and other bracing. It really would not cost that much and would allow you to carry your bikes back there.
greende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
forest376

After reading this thread, I have decided to remove my bike rack and have my son-in-law check and possibility re-weld the bumper.. scary stuff!
forest376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #18
bruno4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
We just bought a 2012 Cougar 26SAB and the welds on the rear bumper came loose after 300km with just the spare tire on the back. We are having the welds rewelded on the bumper tomorrow so we can carry the spare tire with confidance and will be arranging for an additional receiver welded to the frame so we can use our bike carrier to carry our 2 bikes. Dealers should really tell you of this limitation before you buy a new unit.
Our 2010 Cougar 292RKS had a recall for the rear tire mount on the bumper. The dealer replaced it with a new reinforced mount that had a angle piece to strengthen it.
bruno4 is offline   Reply With Quote