Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
geobet

Where do I put this thing?

Have a Montana High Country 310RE. I'm installing a Splendide for DW. Inside the bedroom closet are a location for the dryer on one side and washer on the other. On either side of the closet is a storage cubby framed out with a removable lid about 6" high.

Don't want to have to mount the Splendide in the middle of the closet and take up space in the built in shoe rack, if I don't have to. Now, after looking at the "cubby with a lid" on the washer side, I don't believe its stout enough to support the weight of the splendide. I can refit and frame it out to make it stronger but wanted to know if anyone has any brighter ideas than mine... or if anyone with a High Country has done it. I called Keystone (since they built the thing and installed the electric and plumbing) you'd think they might have a suggestion, but they couldn't offer any help....duh! So, any advice, suggestions, referral to a good marriage counselor etc., is appreciated.

George

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
notanlines

Geo, on a ventless dryer, where does the moisture from the wet clothes actually go? Yes, I know this is a somewhat loaded question. Ever deal with condensation in your RV?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
WaltBennett

So why can't you put this where the washer would go? Combo units are very common, and many have put them in the single place for a washer & dryer or combo unit, including putting a vent through the wall. We don't have one, but the location is on the curb side next to the closet and is a full height cabinet. The washer/dryer would sit on top of drawer that's about 8 inches tall. If that's the kind of frame you're worried about, I wouldn't. Worry more about anchoring the thing so it doesn't bounce around.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Clays390

It is my understanding the vent-less units have a condenser that uses cold water to turn the steam to water. it is then pumped out the drain. sounds like a lot of water used along with longer drying time.
Clays390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Do not have your trailer but looks like designers intent was to allocate for separate washer and dryer, street side being the dryer with a possible vent on that side and curb side to have the washer with the water supply and drain. Although the pictures I have looked up did not show a vent on the street side??? Based on this, I would assume you would locate your combo unit where the water and drain is located (curb side). In the event a vent is required it would have to be added on the side.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
geobet

Thanks for the responses guys. Here's the update. My Splendide is a VENTED dryer - 2100XC. Really looking forward to drilling a 4 inch hole in the side of a new High Country - not!

Since my op, I dismantled the faux cubby box. It was framed with 3/4 x 3/4 stock and no support in the middle. Simply too weak to support the 150# Splendide, in my opinion. Plus on the curb side (where the combo is going) there is a carpeted plywood diagonal piece who's purpose is to cover the plumbing where it exits from the wall at the front then goes horizontal across the closet floor along the side of the closet from front to back. Then it disappears into the bowels of the High Country.

With that piece removed, and a raised floor, it should fit like a glove. So, into the shop I went to fabricate a flooring system that will raise the Spendide just enough to clear the plumbing (about 4 1/4") and provide enough support to handle the weight. To keep it secure, I also fabed up some slide in anchors for the feet and welded them to 1/4" X 1" flat bar that will be screwed into my new floor. Should be enough to support and contain a small elephant. I appreciate all your input.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Lic0rice

We decided to vent our dryer out of the back of the closet into the garage and a simple elbow to the garage door instead of out the side. The door does have to be open to use it but our 5th is on a permanent lot and this works well for us.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote